Sign in to follow this  
Raugust

An up-to-date Regina fansite?

quote:
Originally posted by Raugust:

quote:
However, I feel like some things would be better off more bare-bones. The way you have mp3s done is fantastic, but a bit unnecessary,

What aspect of the mp3 set-up on that site seemed unnecessary? I thought it looked fantastic; near-perfect, with a little fiddling (e.g., "show date" doesn't need time of day, "date added" seems like it'd be only be useful for brand-new additions, "showname" and "showvenue" could probably be combined, and "user" should be replaced by something to credit the original recorder/provider of the mp3).

It felt very repetitive, and very utilitarian, rather than polite and simple. I don't think we need a huge table for each song. In fact, I think if we host shows we should offer entire shows in .zip files, with instructions for opening them for those unfamiliar with them. That way people don't get stuck with a large number of random mp3s strewn about their computers. Additionally, it'll stop mp3 blogs and other websites from directly linking to mp3s, which has already happened with my own website. Other sites offer direct links to the mp3s, and people just click the links and don't visit, or get the rest of the songs.

With each show offered as a complete download, we could just have a page with a complete information on each show, instead of repeating it for each track. Additionally, I'm not comfortable with that coding, and I'd rather not use it when a much simpler alternative is available, particularly one I can go ahead and work with readily.

quote:
It felt very repetitive, and very utilitarian, rather than polite and simple.

You seem very concerned with politeness, but I find I don't entirely agree with how you apply it. "Utilitarian" means "concerned with usefulness/practicality/utility". Isn't it more polite to be concerned with the page being useful for readers, than to be more concerned with cosmetic issues like how repetitive it is?

However, I agree with you that this format isn't for everyone. My suggestion is: have more than one format available. Using the database system, it is exceedingly simple to provide the output in a variety of different ways without requiring any extra effort, is it not? Whenever someone adds a new song file, we can have it appear both on the more "utilitarian", detail-oriented page, and on a more spartan, simple page for people who don't want to know all the details. That seems like the best option to me, as it would be a win-win for people with different preferences.

quote:
I don't think we need a huge table for each song. In fact, I think if we host shows we should offer entire shows in .zip files, with instructions for opening them for those unfamiliar with them.

But that would be inconsiderate to people who don't want the whole show, just a certain song. (For example, someone might just want as many versions as possible of the "Baby Jesus" song. Under my system, he could just download them individually and immediately get what he wants; under yours, he would have to download twenty times as much to get the same amount of value. That's a bigger burden both on the fan and on our bandwidth, isn't it?) We should only do that if it's a necessity, for bandwidth reasons; if possible, we should provide access to both .zip files and individual files, especially for shows or individual songs that are extremely popular.

I agree with you that we should provide .zip files, and if we need to provide only .zip files for certain shows because of space/bandwidth concerns, then that's perfectly acceptable. But we shouldn't force users to always download the .zip files when they want an mp3 of a performance from a certain show. We should handle it on a case-by-case basis.

quote:
That way people don't get stuck with a large number of random mp3s strewn about their computers.

Surely we should permit users to choose for themselves how they wish to download, if at all possible. Personally, I prefer (at least in general) to download individual files rather than .zips because I store them all in a select number of folders, and it's much more convenient to me than having to deal with new folders and unzipping every time I want a certain song. Everyone has different file-managing preferences; we should do as much as possible to accomodate the majority, rather than trying to restrict everyone to a "one-size-fits-all" system. The only time when we should be that worried about "one-size-fits-all" should be when we decide on a consistent format for file-naming (which will help resolve the problem of "files being strewn around").

quote:
Additionally, it'll stop mp3 blogs and other websites from directly linking to mp3s, which has already happened with my own website.

... And it'll stop Regina Spektor forums from directly linking to mp3s, thus cutting most of the benefit out of providing the songs in a centralized location to begin with!

quote:
Other sites offer direct links to the mp3s,

Which is why we should ask permission to link directly to those sites' mp3s from our site. We can all share the bandwidth burden. It is nonsensical to withhold direct links to Regina mp3s hosted on other sites, unless the webmaster of those sites doesn't want us to for some reason.

quote:
and people just click the links and don't visit, or get the rest of the songs.

... So what? That's their prerogative. We should let people get as many or as few songs as they want, as long as it is practical to do so.

quote:
With each show offered as a complete download, we could just have a page with a complete information on each show, instead of repeating it for each track.

I don't understand what you mean. Why couldn't we have a page for complete information on each show and a track-by-track listing? It's more convenient to our users, and no more effort to do. If you need someone to put in the extra work to have both, I'll gladly do it. As mentioned, I already have a listing of over 500 Regina songs in essentially the same format that the database would use.

quote:
Additionally, I'm not comfortable with that coding, and I'd rather not use it when a much simpler alternative is available, particularly one I can go ahead and work with readily.

Not comfortable with which coding? The entire database idea? If the simpler alternative can't give us the same functionality (e.g. allowing easy access to many different users, allowing automatic cross-listing in different formats on different pages, etc.), then it's not worth it. Surely in the long run it makes more sense to spend a little extra time to get comfortable with a new coding system, if that system will provide us with dramatically better ease-of-use and benefit for fans once everything's set up.

I should have more time to help work on this (or any other Regina fansite, if these plans have been scrapped in favor of something else?) soon, as classes will be over soon. Any updates on the status of this very worthy endeavor?

this prospect intrigues me.

i spend alot of my time on this site and am willing to help with a new site, be a moderator or something. ( i dont know if there is an age limit for being a moderator fyi i am 16)

i like this site being on her official website, but as long as she were to approve of another site i would like to be a part of it. something that is just kind of stupid and giddy schoolgirlish of me is that i think..." regina posted on this site a few time, yea" so it gives me hope maybe she will start posting again. but i deffinatly think this site needs to be beefed up!

I set up the databases on adamjk's hosting and wrote PHP scripts to do the searching a few months ago.

I don't know what the status is now. From a coding perspective, it's done. There might be design work left, and there was definitely a lot of content that needed to be added when I stopped working on it.

The site is still going to happen, I've just been really busy and not sat down and done all the content that needs to happen yet.

Coding-wise, as Aaron said, it's totally taken care of.

The gallery is set up, but really empty. Someone was supposed to take care of work on it and totally disappeared off the face of the earth.

I'd say that things should start to get really moving in a month or so when school's out and I don't have final projects and final exams to worry about.

But yeah, it's definitely my fault, not Aaron. He definitely did his part, and it's pretty great, too.