Sign in to follow this  
Slickertm

Tears and Regina

Frowner Now that I've read the story on Hannah Szenes I probably will never be able to get through Eli,Eli without crying.....Szenes was a poet and playwright writing both in Hungarian and Hebrew. The following are four of her better known poems or songs. The best known of these is Halikha LeKesariya ("A Walk to Caesarea"), commonly known as Eli, Eli ("My God, My God"). Many singers have sung it; it was used to close some versions of the film Schindler's List:

My God, My God, I pray that these things never end,

The sand and the sea,

The rush of the waters,

The crash of the Heavens,

The prayer of Man.

אלי, אלי, שלא יגמר לעולם

החול והים

רישרוש של המים

ברק השמים

תפילת האדם

The voice called, and I went.

I went, because the voice called.

The following lines are the last song she wrote after she was parachuted into a partisan camp in Yugoslavia:

Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.

Blessed is the flame that burns in the secret fastness of the heart.

Blessed is the heart with strength to stop its beating for honor's sake.

Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.

The following lines were found in Hanna's death cell after her execution:

One - two - three... eight feet long

Two strides across, the rest is dark...

Life is a fleeting question mark

One - two - three... maybe another week.

Or the next month may still find me here,

But death, I feel is very near.

I could have been 23 next July

I gambled on what mattered most, the dice were cast. I lost. Frowner

Also, "The Flowers"..because several close friends committed suicide.."Things I have loved ,I'm allowed to keep...I'll never know if I go to sleep"....oh,I'm crying now..lol ~Peace

Just some of her songs are so emotional, definitely. Samson, the bit where she sings "We couldn't bring the columns down, yeah we couldn't destroy a single one" always gets to me for some unknown reason.

The whole of Braille is very sad, and just beautiful too.

Human of the Year.

Somedays.

Rockland County.

When I was finally at my first Regina concert this year, she played Ghost of Corporate future and it just made me breakdown. I've heard the song like a million times! But for some reason that night, her actually singing the words of it (pretty much everything after the Eww part especially "people are just people, they shouldn't make you nervous") felt like she was singing it because I needed to hear it. Of course, the people I was with were like "what is wrong with you?!" But whatever, it was an amazing thing, even though I hate crying.

listening to Rejazz just now brought a few tears to my eyes

i dont even know why but its just such a simple and beautiful song that might have something to do with it

also at my first and only (so far) regina concert, i felt tears come to my eyes it was at the royal festival hall and i was so far back and sitting behind a really tall person i had to sit on my bag and i could still barely see. her voice was so moving i was so happy.

I have a hard time expressing my emotions in "real life" so I really consider my studio art work and of course music as an outlet for feelings. Regina is, of course, one of the main outlets. I'd have to say the songs that stick out most in my mind are Ode to Divorce (the first song I ever heard of Regina and I got teary eyed the first time I listened to it), Loveology, Dust to Dust, The Noise, Man of a Thousand Faces, Lounge, and there are more I'm sure but these are off the top of my head.

One More Time With Feeling gets me every time I hear it. Regina sings it very emotionally, and then, of course, there's the lyrics- I'm reminded of my poor grandfather with every verse.

quote:
Originally posted by daysleeper:

rockland county especially. i was walking home along a main road the other day listening to it on my ipod, and there was a little group of trees over a fence next the pavement, and i just climbed the fence and sat there for a while. don't know why. the song just affected me in such a way.

Just tonight I was at a restaurant trying to explain to someone about the words to "Rockland County" and I couldn't even just tell them the lyrics without getting a bit teary-eyed. This is one I'd definitely put on the list, in part because it is such a rare example of Regina talking directly about herself.

Loveology has made me cry numerous times. There have been times when Ode to Divorce has, though probably not at the moment.

Braille doesn't really give me that reaction -- I think because it's kind of in the "third person," so seems more like a kind of storytelling rather than as direct an emotional appeal.

Besides Loveology, I'd say the one song that always definitely affects me very deeply is "Aquarius." I'm not even sure why.