1 tablespoon white pepper

1/4 cup vinegar

Salt, to taste

Hot red pepper, to taste

1 egg, lightly beaten

4 ounces tofu, cut into small cubes

1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

Directions:

Whisk together cornstarch and water; set aside.

In a stock pot, warm chicken stock over medium heat. When stock begins to steam, add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and shiitake mushrooms; cook 15 minutes -- adjust heat if necessary to keep soup just below a boil.

Stir in white pepper, vinegar, salt and hot pepper to taste. Add cornstarch mixture slowly, stirring until mixture is thick and well-combined (at least 2 minutes -- taste to make sure there is no lingering cornstarch aftertaste before proceeding). Add beaten egg, stirring to make swirls of cooked egg in the soup, with tofu pieces and sesame oil.

Serve immediately.

Ah, spicy soup! My fathers family hails from the former Ducth east indies and brought with them the recipe of Soto Ajam (chicken soup... which my dad used to seduce my mom Wink

here it is:

Ingredients:

- 1 Soup chicken

- Boullion tablet

- 1 onion

- Chinese Soy Sauce

- Garlic

- Laos

- Ginger

- Kurkuma/Kunjit

- Ketoembar/ketumbar/koreander

- ve-tsin

- Sereh (FRESH! ALWAYS FRESH!)

- Spice oil

- Sellery

Fry the onions and garlic in oil. add the chicken, pour water into the pan so that the chicken is under water and let it boil adding the other spices. boil slowly for the nicest taste.

In addition, this soup is usually eaten with these sidedishes (add to the soup after serving):

1. hard boiled egge (sliced)

2. baby-fries (really small and thin frenchfryshape chips)

3. Dry fried onions (as a garnish)

4 mihoen (rice noodles)

5. taugeh

I hope all ingredients have been translated correct. Otherwise, you might try for advice in a chinese/indonesian shop if there is one in your vicinity

took this one from 101cookbooks! It's my fave autumn soup. Really good with the 101cookbooks recipe for peanut bread.

Thai-spiced Pumpkin Soup

Keep in mind that different Thai curry pastes have differing strengths. Start with a teaspoon to start and then build from there until the soup has a level of spiciness and flavor that works for your palete. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds.

2 acorn squash, pumpkins, or other smallish winter squash

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

1 14-ounce can coconut milk

1 teaspoon (or more) red Thai curry paste

water

2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt (or to taste)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place the oven racks in the middle.

Carefully cut each squash/pumpkin into halves (or quarters). Slather each piece of squash with butter, sprinkle generously with salt, place on a baking sheet skin sides down, and place in the oven. Roast for about an hour or until the squash is tender throughout.

When the pumpkin/squash are cool enough to handle scoop it into a large pot over medium high heat. Add the coconut milk and curry paste and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and puree with a hand blender, you should have a very thick base at this point. Now add water a cup at a time pureeing between additions until the soup is the consistency you prefer - a light vegetable stock would work here as well. Bring up to a simmer again and add the salt (and more curry paste if you like, I used just shy of 6 teaspoons but the curry paste I use is not over-the-top spicy).

Serves six.

1 pound of Beef Steak Tips, sauteed in garlic with butter, after browned add

1/2 cups of chopped onions, bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, carrots

season by cooking rice seperately (rice 1 can of tomatoe sauce) garlic powder con onion salt

a dash Red Chili Powder

Combine

And it always helps to salsa while you make it!

Beso

I'm about to make Curried Sweet Potato Soup! It's up to you how "burn your mouth off" you make it...

BTW, this is for making a BIG pot of soup.

CURRIED SWEET POTATO SOUP

serves six

3 large sweet potatoes, chopped

6 large potatoes, chopped

2 large onions, chopped

2 stock cubes (made up with hot water as on the packet; chicken or vegetable)

1 pint of milk

oil (for frying onions)

single cream [optional]

fry onions on a low heat until golden and almost cooked.

add potatoes and sweet potatoes and stir well. season.

add stock and milk.

cook, covered, until the vegetables are soft.

(you may need to stir occasionally if the liquid level does not cover the veg)

whizz with a liquidizer stick, and add lots of curry powder (about six tablespoons) and as much chilli powder as you dare (keep tasting as you add). leave on a low heat to cook in the spices for about 10 - 15 mins.

check seasoning. serve in bowls with an optional swirl of cream.