Sign in to follow this  
monsterinyourcloset

Groan

It's not that I have a problem with Regina's talent being seen, or that she's getting more 'popular' really, I mean, I still love her music but...

It used to be that I couldn't find a Regina CD ANYWHERE around here, now, I can find one in Wal Mart. So I'm kinda stuck wondering, is this a good thing?

It's not that I have a problem with Regina's talent being seen, or that she's getting more 'popular' really, I mean, I still love her music but...

It used to be that I couldn't find a Regina CD ANYWHERE around here, now, I can find one in Wal Mart. So I'm kinda stuck wondering, is this a good thing?

I'm not a huge WalMart fan, but sometimes they do have some stuff you wouldn't expect. Some unfortunate folks, especially here in Oklahoma, where WalMart has driven all of the other stores out of business, have no place else to buy music. Hey, maybe someone will pick up BTH, see a cute girl, buy it, and fall in love. Who knows?

I think it's a great thing.

I, for example, caught a bit of Regina in an interview and then they proceeded to play Fidelity. I bought BTH practically immediately (in Target) then bought Soviet Kitsch, Songs and 11:11 online the following day, and I will see her live sometime soon I hope.

There's nothing wrong with her music now being available and I only hope her music will reach many more ears. Unless her obscurity was part of her appeal to you, her growing popularity should not matter at all. She is still regina spector, whether or not her album is available on Walmart or not.

My concern about her getting bigger is that she will soon have to perform in crowded stadiums rather than more intimate settings.

I have no fear that she'll "sell out" though, which I've heard other friends talk about. I read an interview that she gave and she talked about how she hated how people get commercial and become robots.

{VALLEY GIRL VOICE}

Ummm, like, ohmigod you guys! Wal-mart is like, totally amazing and stuff. Who's Rageena Spactor anyway? Is she like, the weather girl on channel 45? I love her outfits. But she like, totally needs to get botox or something. I had some work done when I was 15, and it got me a date with Bobby Johnson. He dumped me after we had sex, but now I get invited to all his friends parties! What were we talking about? Oh right. I need to go to WalMart for my birth control pills.

{/VALLEY GIRL VOICE}

A deafening silence falls over a capacity crowd in a massive auditorium. The walls amplify the sound of lone footsteps making their way to center stage. There is a microphone waiting for the speaker.

"Ahem" feedback echoes off the ceiling, and there is a long pause

"Ladies and gentlemen. WAL-MART is fucked.

Thank you."

Exiting stage left, the speaker receives a thunderous standing ovation, while the stage is showered with flowers

quote:
Originally posted by the monster in your closet:

Keep your head up, my friend. There will be more heroes & idols to worship, though our generation has lost a good portion of ours by now. New gods are born every day. They won't be ours to claim ownership of, in the sense that we will no longer be young & impressionable...but they'll be there.

For these gods among men fulfill that niche of humankind - idolatry - which is a necessary ingredient in the recipe that is exitence....For we are always striving onwards through the dark abyss, pushing onward with all of our moral fiber, believing the lies about money & immortality & greatness & owning a summer home in the Hamptons in which you can fuck your trophy wife & to which you can retreat to when the heat becomes too much to bear....Believing them because it is the best policy. This is what keeps the machine greased & steaming onward.

Fame and glory DID kill the old regina experience. Consequently some people are still in a state of shock by this new situation, but this had always been her destiny. What a lot of us need to to is to find closure & acceptance. Finding the strength to forgive (if I may use such a term) & move on. It all reminds me of that old folk song by Woodie Guthrie, "The Streets of Laredo"...

We beat the drum slowly and played the fife lowly

And bitterly wept as we carried him along

For we all loved our comrade, so brave, young and handsome

We all loved our comrade although he done wrong

At least that's how I tend to see it