Eliana

how did you get into regina?

never heard of her before,

saw fidelity on jtv (a music video show) around November last year as thought what a cute different song, and what a cute vid. and immediately then, i was hooked.

i first discovered regina spektor in 2005/2006

i got an ipod for christmas and my cousin offered to burn me a Cd of music.. while i was picking music he recommended soviet kitch

why not?

well when i loaded it onto my ipod and listened to it after the 3rd listen i became completely hooked and now she takes up about 90% of my listening and i have over 100 of her songs

my friends think im weird...they just don't get her genius

i just have better taste than them Big Grin

In April of 2005, I was preparing to travel to New Orleans for my friend's wedding and was browsing around iTunes. Regina's "Soviet Kitsch" was in the Top 10 "Folk" albums and I gave each track a listen. I still have the e-mail that I was writing to my friend as I was previewing the tracks.

Here it is:

"April 12, 2005

Next time you're on iTunes, check out the clips from Regina Spektor's "Soviet Kitsch." I really dig it. Her voice sounds like Fiona Apple, Bjork, Joanna Newsom & Ani DiFranco combined. Very intriguing.

Okay... I'm now on Track 6. I'm really liking this.

Track 10. Alright, I think I'm going to download this to listen to on the plane.

Wow. $7.92 for the whole album? Alright, well, that's just a no-brainer. Smiler"

So, by the time I got back from New Orleans the Play Count for the album on my iPod was at 23. Yes, it was on infinite repeat the whole trip.

I got back to Los Angeles and was telling my friend at work about her. Regina was playing the following night at the Roxy, but it was sold out. My friend happened to know the sound guy and got me on the guest list, so I got to see Regina at the Roxy for free that night (April 21, 2005). The Roxy is teeny tiny and Regina was literally only three or four feet from me. It was a rather moving experience, quite honestly. Anyway, so on April 21, 2005, a love affair was officially born.

Smiler

Cheers!

--Audrey

www.myspace.com/absolutelyaudrey

I just told this same story on the Demographics thread; I found Regina tonight because I HAD to find out who was singing on the JC Penney commercial.

Took longer to register for the forum than to find her on YouTube.

Thank God for Google.

quote:
Originally posted by jbmckin:

I found Regina tonight because I HAD to find out who was singing on the JC Penney commercial.

Welcome to the stix! If you're really into regina this place will prove to be a great resource for you.

I wonder if SOAS will have to create a new categorization? JCP-ers to go along with BTH-ers????