Eliana

how did you get into regina?

I read the Regina Smithsonian article and finally decided to check out her music after seeing her name constantly come up at a Tori Amos forum I frequent. They even have their own section devoted to Regina, so I started reading about her, and I spent an entire day on Reg's website listening to clips of her music, particularly 11:11, and I watched the "Us" video about 12 times that afternoon. Someone on the aformentioned Tori forum sent me 11:11 saying it was unavailable (I didn't know you could get it on iTunes) and I started listening and listening and couldn't stop. Then I bought Songs, Soviet Kitsch, Begin to Hope special edition, and Bull Moose. I also downloaded all the demos from respektonline and ... yeah. I'm completely obsessed and really want to see her live...

quote:
Originally posted by graph theory:

willkommen kandi! pshh i love antm..no mocking. hope you enjoy teh brümstix.

Thank you! =) I'd say I've pretty much made myself at home already. I spent five hours solid here yesterday. =P

quote:
Originally posted by diceguyBill:

I have been a CBS Sunday Morning watcher for years, and when I saw the story on Regina in January I was almost instantly hooked. Now this is really weird: here I am, a 63-year-old guy who hasn't been much into the music scene for a long time, except for an occasional Sinatra or some cool jazz. But there was just this "something" about Regina Spektor that hit me like a ton of bricks. I now own all her albums and have spent hours on youtube. I'm afraid I've developed what amounts to a "teenage crush" on her. I just can't get enough of her. My two teenage kids think I'm nuts, and I suppose I am, but there's no denying it. I'm reminded of the way I felt at the age of 15 when I had it bad for Natalie Wood -- it feels the same. I've loaded as much of her music on my Treo phone as I can find and it's in my car all the time. What the hell's the matter with me?

I will be visiting New York next month to see my son perform with his chorus at Carnegie Hall, but I must confess, secretly, that I'm much more excited to be seeing Regina perform at Purchase College on March 28. Does that make me a bad father, or just a nutjob? Anyway you look at it, I'm hooked!

Smiler I thought this was such a sweet and funny story. really, so many of these stories made me smile.

I really like this forum, I only started coming on here like a month ago, but now I've become quite the creep.. going on here and reading people's stories just for fun. Smiler Makes me happy though. for some reason..

edit:

oh and how I discovered regina:

in high school a crazy (not as in cool and funny, but as in would explain to us that her medicines were working better now) teacher of mine told me about regina. she pretty much said, "there is a musician, she is also weird, like you, you might like her. her name is regina spektor." (of course, even though she called me weird, this I realized later was a huge compliment, anything is a compliment if you are compared to regina ^_^)

i got a hold of soviet kitsch and though I liked some of the songs I really wasn't impressed by regina. then, last fall i decided to search for her on youtube and after seeing her perform live I was hooked. for me, it's really regina's amazing personality that makes me listen to her music and consider the songs.

same thing happened when I introduced my best friend to her. i showed her après moi live at lollapalooza and her reaction was the same as mine. ^_^ after watching it she said, "that was... amazing. she's just so...so..humble and sincere. is there more?"

quote:
Originally posted by Yaya:

[last fall i decided to search for her on youtube and after seeing her perform live I was hooked. for me, it's really regina's amazing personality that makes me listen to her music and consider the songs.

totally get what you mean. Although this would never ever happen, EVER, I feel that if she produced something that was quite bad I'd still love the hell out of it.

quote:
Originally posted by ajalaw:

quote:
Originally posted by Yaya:

[last fall i decided to search for her on youtube and after seeing her perform live I was hooked. for me, it's really regina's amazing personality that makes me listen to her music and consider the songs.

totally get what you mean. Although this would never ever happen, EVER, I feel that if she produced something that was quite bad I'd still love the hell out of it.

dude, she could record a cd of just monotone 1-2-1-2 stick-banging and I would buy the hell out of it.

i got into Regina by doing like a social study project in school and we had to pick a Province or capital city,and well I picked Regina.So then when I was researching stuff about Regina on google and there was a Regina Spektor result,and the thingy said

"Official site for the New York singer and pianist" I was all happy because i love people who play the piano and sang.So then well I clicked on the link to the site and listened to all of her songs on there,because they were all so awesome,and then became a huge Regina fan.

I didn't get so much research done that day, but I found out about an amazing musician.

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.snuffleupagus...yeah!!:

i got into Regina by doing like a social study project in school and we had to pick a Province or capital city,and well I picked Regina.So then when I was researching stuff about Regina on google and there was a Regina Spektor result,and the thingy said

"Official site for the New York singer and pianist" I was all happy because i love people who play the piano and sang.So then well I clicked on the link to the site and listened to all of her songs on there,because they were all so awesome,and then became a huge Regina fan.

I didn't get so much research done that day, but I found out about an amazing musician.

That is such a cool story.

Channel hopping I stumbled across Us and didnt have a clue who this was.Loved the video and the song and spent the rest of the day finding out everything I could about her.

I havent looked back since

skin tucked in,neat side out

Not that interesting but a friend and I were sharing music with each other and I was giving her stuff by the dolls (songs that hadn't heard before) and she asked if I've ever heard of Regina Spektor. I said I did hear of her name but never looked into it. Also because that name is so fucking unique I thought it didn't exist. Kind of like my last name (It's really really uncommon, like 15 people in my city have that name). So she gave me Fidelity and I was instantly hooked. But of course she gave me more and more and more and more and MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR! Until I basically had all cds on my iTunes. That I eventually lost do to a crashing of the computer. I used to have around 200 songs by her (this included rarities that I now know don't "exist" and live stuff).

So fast forward to about 6 or 7 months. Regina was playing in my city, Toronto, at the Kool Haus. Me, said friend, and another friend went to go see her. It's actually quite an interesting story because it was all our first Regina concert and we happened to be the first people in line. Oh and we saw her drive up in a car and we waved to her like maniacs. She did this claw thing, like the letter E in ASL. Later on when she came out on stage and sang her opening "This Ain't No Cover" then slowly and cutely walked over to the bench and smiled to us all. We waved to her again and she did the claw thing! Big Grin

Now I can't wait til she comes back.