Eliana

how did you get into regina?

I can't balieve I havn't posted in this thread. So one night in March 2007 I was in my kitchen cooking dinner and I had the local radio on, and they were doing the Kent (my county) chart and guess who was number 1? yeah you guessed it, it was Regina with Fidelity, and after that I was hooked and i bought all the albums and got all the unreleased songs and all that shit.

So, I would like to thank the people of Kent for having such good taste. Smiler

Mine's probably a typical one for new (as in less that 2 yrs. old) Regina fans. The Chronicles of Narnia. I was bored on a Saturday night, so I said, "What the heck?" and went with a friend and her little sister (she is OBSESSED with Narnia. The sister I mean.) and I heard "The call" in the end credits. I fell in love with the song and Regina. Well not like in love as in marriage, but you know, I look up to her, especially in my endeavour to make my voice heard. She's someone I wish i was more like.

My mom was flipping through ellegirl at the supermarket back in early 2004 when soviet kitsch came out and saw this article on up and coming musical artists,including our dear regina.She bought the issue upon seeing the bit on her, thinking it would interest me, and gave it to me and i proceeded to give "us" a try.it felt so raw and intense and i've been a fan ever since.

Everybody has a story... Lol...

Well, one of my really good friends used to take singing lessons, which I was aware of. And I'd never heard her sing. I'd never really thought about it.

Then one day, I asked if she could sing for me. She refused, being nervous. I later found out that she had sung "Samson" (I had never heard of it at this point) for a school music concert once.

So I asked her to sing me Samson. She once again refused. I nagged and nagged and nagged her. For days, until she caved in. She took me to a piano, and played and sang for me.

Straight away, I fell in love with Regina's music. That night I hopped onto iTunes and bought both Samson and Fidelity. And then I wanted more, so I searched and found her earlier and unreleased stuff, falling deeper into love (lol).

Oh Regina, what is this spell you have cast on us all?

Smiler

Edit: I realized quite a while ago that I'd actually heard of Regina before the above account... whoops.

I was watching Rage (Australian music video programme) when Fidelity came on. My sister and I laughed at it (I don't know why) and thought it was quite stupid at the time... Eeker

A friend had her listed on his favorite music list on Facebook and I'd taken a few bands from his list before, and I'd also seen Reg's name around a few times so I figured, hey, maybe she's good? So I gave Fidelity a listen and I kind of hated it at first and I thought, wow, why do people seem to like her? Anyway, flash forward to a few weeks later and I'm listening to Kate Nash and I see on last.fm that Regina Spektor is a related artist. I decided to give her another whirl by listening to some older material (Soviet Kitsch). And the rest, is history.

That sounded more epic in my head.

Well I'm sort of a new fan...I love the Chronicles of Narnia, and I bought the Prince Caspian soundtrack and lOvEd "The Call", and my friend bought it too and was like, "Ahh, Regina Spektor! She's my favorite!" I became curious and then voila, she bombarded me with Regina stuff. Big Grin

(Also, that friend and I are alot closer now..I guess we bonded over Regina songs..Smiler )

I saw the video for Fidelity on a music channel, and couldn't get the song out of my head all day. But then I forgot about it for a while (about half a year actually!) Then one day I randomly decided to listen to it again. And that was it. I was hooked. The other Reg songs I heard first were The Flowers, Consequence Of Sounds and Dust To Dust.

My sister's 18th Birthday, 2 years ago. We're at a nice restaurant, giving her her presents. She opens the present from my other sister, and it's Begin to Hope. yay!

Turns out she was at some store at the beach with her friend and she saw BTH and listened to it and thought my older sister would like it cuz she was kinda into some singer/zongwriters.

So we all listen to the cd and my whole family thinks it's pretty cool. My sister plays it all the time, and my two sisters are always singing it. Then I start actually listening to it and I'm like wow, this is really, really good.

Then i discover the bonus disc! and i listen to it and i'm like this is beautiful.

then i start listening to all her songs on her website, and then i have the holy shit this girl's amazing moment.

Now I am way way way obsessed. My sisters' like of the album is nowhere near my obsession with regina. wow that sounded creepy. but we're all in the same boat with that here, right? RIGHT?

I don't remember any of the specific details or like that one moment when i'm listening and it like takes my breath away, but I remember the basic sequence of events.

I can never remember being that into music before regina, idk i have a horrible memory, but now music is my antidrug, and she's the friggen heroin of antidrugs.

that made more sense in my head. and was less insulting. I guess i shouldn't really go around comparing people to illegal drugs, huh.

Regina defined-- hell she is my love of and taste in music, (also made more sense in my head). She also inspired me to start writing songs, shitty though they be.

It's unhealthy, this addiction, but who gives an ef?