Eliana

how did you get into regina?

quote:
Originally posted by That Time:

holy crap! did you "the Owl of minerva" know regina?

Just for a minute. I doubt she'd remember me. I remember her because my friend used to talk about her a lot.

I really hope he read this, btw. I'd like to see how he's doing.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:
Originally posted by The Owl of Minerva:

I really hope he read this, btw. I'd like to see how he's doing.

On this board anything's possible. Check out this thread.

I saw that, it inspired me to post here.

My friend's name from college is Peter Mueller, but he may spell it with an umlaut.

I love these stories...I have always been into Regina...but how I found her...hummm...college radio! I have been searching for her my whole life...she was born one month after me and I have had dreams about someone so beautiful inside that I don't want to wake up...that is what it was like to meet her too by the way...no crazy infatuation, just simply good to know that people like her exist! She gives me hope for true love in my life...

My listening to Regina started... well, thanks to pandora.com. I have a station named after Fiona Apple (who I love very much) and one sunny day it played Après Moi for me. I was immediately blown away by this dramatic, intense piano song. So I immediately started searching for more songs by Regina, and also forwarded some songs to my girlfriend who is now also a huge Regina-fan. Later on I bought Begin to Hope digipak for her birthday and we haven't stopped being nuts about Regina since.

Just the other day (last sunday) we finally saw her on stage in Stockholm, Sweden, and man, it was lovely. I've seen, say great artists such as Nick Cave & co perform live in a club, but Regina beat even that. She's witty, a bit shyish and humble at the same time, and masters her art brilliantly. You can not "not love her" so to speak. Smiler

I happened to have the TV on while I worked on my computer, turned to the Sony channel, where they occasionally run music videos. I usually let the TV drone on at a low volume, as I've gotten used to working in those conditions. Then I heard some music which, unlike most other music, sounded quite pleasant. I turned to the TV and my gaze was met by a beautiful blue-eyed woman in a black and white background. I watched on until the end of the video, and noted the song and artist's name: Regina Spektor, Fidelity. For the rest of the night, and the following day, the song played back in my memory repeatedly. It gave me such a cathartic feeling, as had never been achieved but by select pieces of literature, that I knew I had found a new favorite musician, and the first one in this category who isn't a pile of dust and bones.

my friends had seen her play with the kings of leon a couple of years ago, but weren't very impressed so i didn't think much of her, but this past summer some of my other friends were getting slightly obsessed with her so i looked up her music and i fell in love and have become slightly obsessed as well.

Chris, it's especially too bad that you missed the Messiah College show, because she did a new song there!! Not sure what it's called, something like "Man of a Thousand Faces." She apparently also sang it at the Manchester show in the UK.

In January of 2004 I was working on a symphonic project (this concert, actually: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_186522.html) and had a brand-new Mac Powerbook and was staying in housing in Pittsburgh that had free wi-fi.

I found a link (possibly on CD Baby?) that had lo-resolution versions of the ENTIRE "Songs" album. I recorded the whole album to minidisc, song by song, and from the very first song I heard ("Samson") I was fascinated, and by the end of the album I had had a kind of epiphany. It was the first time in years and years and years that I was just stunned by someone's entire album, and all it was was just Regina and piano...no production, nothing!

I felt like "she's writing the equivalent of art songs for our time," but keep in mind that back then she was a complete unknown. I ended up buying a couple of copies of "Songs" for some friends, and that started the process I've experienced for the past 3 years now where I ask people to listen to her and they say "she's interesting, but it's just too weird for me."

Later that year, SOVIET KITSCH was released, and with the advent of the new website, the complete streaming links of SONGS disappeared.

I've never quite gotten over the vague apprehension I've felt since late 2004 that if Regina got really successful, the marvelous edge of her unique musical eccentricity might be lost (as it was for people like Jonatha Brooke, for example, who now makes unlistenably crappy albums). But so far, that hasn't happened, so I'm less worried.

But it's been very rare in my life that I listen to someone's whole CD and have a complete epiphany. It happened to me long long ago with the Beatle's RUBBER SOUL, and again with Sting's NOTHING LIKE THE SUN. It happened with Ennio Morricone's MARCO POLO soundtrack. It happened with Imogen Heap's I MEGAPHONE (still my favorite Imogen album).

I mean, there are plenty of albums that I really love, but only those rare times throughout life (and I'm old!) where you listen to an album for the first time and feel like your life has changed in some way, as though you're suddenly looking at the world a little differently. And Regina's SONGS albums did that for me.

Even now, when I listen to some of those songs, I can still feel how they completely tugged at me, though of course by now there are dozens of other songs that have had the same effect, and in Regina's case, I've regularly heard new things that overwhelm me like the SONGS material did, such as "Loveology," "Ode to Divorce", "Somedays," "20 Years of Snow," "Aquarius", "Rockland County" and many others.

But I can literally remember vividly first hearing the SONGS material all at once. I can visualize the desk where I was sitting, the lamp that was on, my Powerbook sitting there and my little minidisc recorder. It was a HUGE moment in my musical life. And thanks to Regina's talent, she keeps giving me more of them. Smiler

It was late at night and I was watching the telly and just switching channels for about 15 minutes just hoping to catch something remotely interesting until I was tired enough to sleep. Then I hit Mtv where i saw a really cute girl singing like she knew me... Fidelity it was and gosh, that Chorus... And it sounded really familiar in a way. (oh and in the comercial break Soviet Kitch was used for a Dutch telecom ad.!)