Eliana

how did you get into regina?

about 6 months ago i was debating inwardly whether to go to the gym, because i really was not in the mood. very reluctantly, i decided to go. when i got there i started listening to fiona apple (who has been one of my favorite singers for quite some time) and because i listen to my music very loudly, the person next to me heard it. she told me that if i love fiona apple i'll also love regina spektor, so i took her advice, and i now love regina even more!! i'm so glad i decided to work out that day! it's funny how things we're so reluctant to do can have such a positive impact on our lives!

about 6 months ago i was debating inwardly whether to go to the gym, because i really was not in the mood. very reluctantly, i decided to go. when i got there i started listening to fiona apple (who has been one of my favorite singers for quite some time) and because i listen to my music very loudly, the person next to me heard it. she told me that if i love fiona apple i'll also love regina spektor, so i took her advice, and i now love regina even more!! i'm so glad i decided to work out that day! it's funny how things we're so reluctant to do can have such a positive impact on our lives!

So...I had a late night with friends, at a local corner bar in Lancaster, PA, last evening - pleasant dinner, conversations ranging from work to relationships to music - politics saved till a later date. My typical music consists of edgy bands which are probably not popular to those on this site - Fuel, The Exies, NIN, A perfect Circle - you get the idea. Now, mind you, I do have more relaxed side with artists like Norah Jones, iron and wine, 10,000 maniacs,etc...

I grew up in a Christian home (PK) with my mother being a fantastic pianist at home and church. I would listen to her play and sing as I often fell off to sleep - there is something about the piano that calms one's soul. Anyway, I get home last night around 2:00, put the TV on and immediately crash with the room spinning just slightly. Somehow the TV was on VH1. At 6:30 AM, I feel a deep sense of calm and peace in my mind, as I dream, with the backdrop of a beutiful piano and voice - am I 8 years old, as I listen to my mother practice her art? I slowly wake up and realize I am sitting straight up, staring at the TV, glasses haven't moved an inch from 2:00, and watching an absolutely engaging woman sing with such grace, calm and ease. I watch, smile, then quickly go off to dream world again, only to be awoken a 2nd time, in the same manner. I remember the name, song, do some research and find myself here, letting everyone know how I heard of Regina.

Of course, many of you have been fans for years, are use to close, intimate settings during shows, and I'm sure have mixed feelings concerning her more obvious public presence. I felt a sense of invasion, similarly, about a band I followed in Harrisburg for 3 years, before they became well known - but nothing could ever take away those 2-3 years of memories I felt. There is something truely euphoric about a first experience, good or bad, that can never be replaced and is etched in memory - that first kiss, first heartbreak, wedding, certain conversations. Man, I had that eurphoric sense this morning after hearing and seeing her performance (even though it was just a video and not a show). I won't forget that peaceful moment, ever.

In conclusion (is this graded?), I am anxious to delve into her past and present music, learn more about her, and hopefully feel more of the same. To those who helped her get her career going and were there at the birth - seeing shows, word of mouth, and I'm sure encouraging her - I thank you so that others, like myself, can feel her music.

And I see, I just missed her show at my alma mater, Messiah College, last weekend!

Chris

i usually and very sceptical about new artists...i'd heard her name so many times..

i love the dresden dolls and the strokes....heard her name associated with them

i heard love affair playing out of a car once when i drove by....and i always wondered who it was by....

i finnished le petite prince and was looking up Baobabs, so i glanced at her name...

I also have a very funny ukrainian jewish friend who is a pianist...who loves her and begged me to listen so we could talk about her music.....

so i broke away from my usual music for a while and got hooked on regina.....though i dont tink anyone could be the fan my best friend is....they are so much alike its scary...she kind of looks like a mini regina.....

anyways....as soon as i heard her...a musical void was filled....you cant really pinpoint her sound...which is one of the things i love.....

i love her creativity...and her intellect...

I was in the backseat of my familys car on the fourth of July. We were driving to NYC for the day, actually. On the radio comes "On the Radio"! I don't know how, and I'm not sure if they said the name right afterwards, but I knew it was Regina Spektor (I learned her name maybe a month or so earlier as a featured artist on MySpace, though I never went to the site). I fell in love. I've been to two shows so far, and I met her almost two weeks ago Saturday at the last concert I attended. BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!

my dad told me to check her out... and i liked "fidelity" but never got into anything more... but then some other friends told me i should listen, so one day i had the opp to get her album so i did... fell in love with "better" and "summer in the city"... the rest was history

...so I was perusing CDbaby.com..when I stumbled

across "Songs"....I gave it a listen and haven't stopped listening since..I've purchased:

"11:11","Songs", Live At The Bull Moose..Soviet Kitsch,Mary Ann meets the Gravediggers and other

short stories by regina & Begin To Hope Deluxe Edition..lol...My latest fav from Reg is "Aquarius"...and "Field Below"...my fav silly song is "Reginasaurus"...It's ALL good...

First I saw her on Conan last year, thought she was pretty cool, month later a friend sent me a copy of Poor Little Rich Boy, i spent 3 days listening to that constantly before i went and got the full album.

and i've listened to her for about 80% of my music since >.< (and i listen to music all the time)

I'd always heard her name being thrown around in the Tori Amos community, but I never bothered to check her out. Then one of my friends had me sit down and watch the "US" video online about a year ago. I liked it but I never really looked into her any further.

The thing that finally got me hooked was seeing her on the VH1 artists "you ought to know" - that little clip thing they play between shows. She was talking while they were playing Fidelity in the background. She looked and sounded sooo cute in the interview and her voice sounded so interesting and different in the song that I FINALLY had to get a hold of some of her stuff. So I ordered Begin To Hope and Soviet Kitsch and now I am beyond hooked!

Now I want to hear everything she has every done and I feel like I'm playing catch up amongst the veterans - whom I envy for knowing this little secret for so long!

Mine's actually a somewhat intersting story..

A while ago I saw a commercial for a jewelry company, and there was a song playing in the background that I really liked. I went online for a LONG time looking for it, and i found a few websites that said it was Cat Power singing and a few that said Regina Spektor. I listened to the clip, which actually turned out to be "How Can I Tell You" by Cat Power (although it sounds very similar to Regina). I was curious who this Regina Spektor lady was, so I googled her and listened to her on MySpace Music. She's very amazing/addicting!