Sign in to follow this  
PerksOfAWallflower

???anti-regspekt????how can that be...

the word "great" is so debatable....

its really a personal tatse. because i think someone has a great voice when they are unique, but others maybe think if you can keep in tune and sing a rnge of notes youre great. but i tend to think there are some people out there with good voices that just dont tickle my fancy... i wouldnt go to one of thier concerts but i can listen to some of their songs... music that is cool and groovy but doesnt astonish me... i like to be astonished when it comes to music.

Well, you can't blame people for having an "easy-taste". you know, to some people music isn't really something important (like it is to musicians and admirers). They just use it as a backgroundsound and are barely interested in where it came from, the only criterium being that it shouldn't sound to heavy, freaky or complicated.

Still, it's hard to understand that someone might not like Regina Spektor when you really adore the artist's work (and maybe even the person).

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

the word "great" is so debatable....

its really a personal tatse. because i think someone has a great voice when they are unique, but others maybe think if you can keep in tune and sing a rnge of notes youre great. but i tend to think there are some people out there with good voices that just dont tickle my fancy... i wouldnt go to one of thier concerts but i can listen to some of their songs... music that is cool and groovy but doesnt astonish me... i like to be astonished when it comes to music.

That's a good point. So, really, never mind.

quote:
Originally posted by rosa_de_oro:

quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:

I usually find "great" voices boring, thus my rabid dislike of American Idol. Walk into any church in America on a Sunday, and you will find dozens of "great voices", but boring as hell too.

I'm not trying to ridicule your opinion because I generally hate it when people don't try to get what I'm saying, and I've discovered that because of this I've begun to talk a lot faster around people I know so I can get a freaking word in edgewise...but I mean, come on, what's wrong with a great voice? A genuine question. I know some songs that I wouldn't like nearly as much if they weren't sung by such great voices.

I'll answer on behalf of the other person with a question.. hee

Does having a great violin make one a great musician?

-DaveK

All it takes to be a great muscian is talent, and it doesn't matter if your instrument is crap or top notch if you have talent by the score "it's all in the fingers (or vocal chords)"

Great voices vary in technical quality in my ears. I find Lou Reed and Bob Dylan as great voices as Regina Spektor. However, Regina sounds beautifull and sweet while the two guys sound raw and untrained yet have the same level of credibility to me.

@ Rosa de Oro: Well, it might be that you find great voices boring 'cause you got used to them (those being heard in church and on every radio station)... actually, we all became used to great voices, generally speaking. It's not a bad thing, sure, but one should realise that "not so great" voices have something interesting to say as well.

The vocal virtuoso has always been favored over the vocally challenged, though inability might become a virtuosity by not being so (aah man! those National Royal Birthday party's [queensday-koninginnedag] are no time to post on forums :s I gets cryptic Razzer)

It's a choice between form and content. One tends to be distracted by form if it does not fit the content.

I'll take someone with a less than "perfect" voice over one that is technically superior, as long as they know how to use it effectively. Case in point, I LOVE Chris Martin's voice, because although his range is extremely limited, he knows how to use every bit of it, cracking in the right place, switching to falsetto, etc. Someone I find boring as hell, who is always praised for her "ability" is Celine Dion, boring, boring, boring........sing song, get check.

quote:
Originally posted by Itzdavey:

Does having a great violin make one a great musician?

-DaveK

Ha ha, you're funny. *Clears throat* As I said, never mind.

In my book (pun intended)it's the story that counts.

But it's also very much about how the story is written or told.

Modern age is about lotsa glitter on covers and big bright colours and the hugeo funky letterings which is absolutely great if the interior matches up.

You gotta live the deep life to tell the deep story... but you gotta be around the same depth to hear it. Lots will stay lonely.