Sign in to follow this  
PerksOfAWallflower

???anti-regspekt????how can that be...

quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:

I'll take someone with a less than "perfect" voice over one that is technically superior, as long as they know how to use it effectively. Case in point, I LOVE Chris Martin's voice, because although his range is extremely limited, he knows how to use every bit of it, cracking in the right place, switching to falsetto, etc. Someone I find boring as hell, who is always praised for her "ability" is Celine Dion, boring, boring, boring........sing song, get check.

I'm witcha brother....

Neil Percival Young

quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia:

His work is characterized by deeply personal lyrics, distinctive guitar work, and an instantly recognizable nasal tenor (and frequently alto) singing voice.

Yet arguably one of the best singer-songwriters ever.

My mom always complains about Regina being too whiny-sounding because of her use of different noises and sounds. I guess she just doesn't get it, either.

quote:
Originally posted by urban nomad:

In my book (pun intended)it's the story that counts.

But it's also very much about how the story is written or told.

Modern age is about lotsa glitter on covers and big bright colours and the hugeo funky letterings which is absolutely great if the interior matches up.

You gotta live the deep life to tell the deep story... but you gotta be around the same depth to hear it. Lots will stay lonely.

Well said Nomad. I do find the story in a song significant, especially with singer/songwriters... though I also happen to like the total unpretentious "let's dance/kiss/ride the cadillac" songs of the fifties (and even the new boogaloo sound of Xtina Aguilera Confused )

Furthermore, I don't think you need to live at the same dept as the creator does, an intelligent/intellectual person can understand deep stories too by the references to other arts it might trigger... And there's always the sound.

Ey, one of my friends is a construction worker not really captivated by the deeper side of art/music, but díd give me a copy of Begin to Hope saying he liked it a lot. His intellectual interest might be a bit shallow by my standards (doesn't like reading and is unconcerned by song lyrics), but in some way he does pick out music that goes deeper or is more complicated than the charts stuff. Maybe because he hears all the pulp at work Wink

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

haha... my mom says shes too wierd! i love that about her. she's almost not strange enough because im such a bjork and tom waits fan! i love the noises! and the groans, and everything bring it ON!

hah that's funny cause my mom completely loves her.

i definitely agree in the sense that everyone has a different view as to what they believe is "great"...it's such a throw away word...'you're a great cook'..'you're a great husband'...'great' to me doesn't mean the same thing as 'A-FREAKING-MAZING' like i consider regina to be...

i'm probably just about one of the most open-minded people you'll ever meet, so i'm all up for others and their opinions...i just think that if you are truly a music admirer, you have to at least admit that she is extremely talented...that's not really a debatable statement? i mean, she might not be you're "cup o' tee" but you have to at least ACKNOWLEDGE that she is unbelievably gifted.

quote:
Originally posted by breathable_again:

but you have to at least ACKNOWLEDGE that she is unbelievably gifted.

So true!!!! The only person in my family who I've talked about Regina to is my sister, although several times my dad's found me watching videos on YouTube of her but never really asked anything, but then one day I was listening to "Raindrops" on my iPod with my sister and we started talking about the song in front of my dad, and then he asked what we were talking about and I was like "The Russian singer" and he was all, "Oh, her. She's really talented" all casually. It was funny, but I was really glad that he thought so.

Yeah a schoolmate of mine was like "But her songs aren't fast enough..." (he's a major JENNIFER LOPEZ fan) and upon hearing things like Your Honor or Consequence of Sounds I was getting really mad at him...the quirks are an essential part of her character, and I love that she doesn't change them for anyone. *cyber-high-five to regina*

Something I heard Regina say in an interview was that people pick different things up in songs... The more they develope their ear the more they get out a song.

It's like Olives... (keep reading I have a point) I know loads of people who used to really hate olives because they couldn't get used to the taste... But after a few years of eating other foods, they suddenly really like olives.. It's like a maturing of the taste buds or something.

In my opinion it's the same with music and how we train our ear. Some people just never work on the development and so only ever hear what the radio plays them... Sad really because half the fun in music if seeking out an artist that isn't over played and finding out what they're really about - thats what I think anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by bitsofbone:

Something I heard Regina say in an interview was that people pick different things up in songs... The more they develope their ear the more they get out a song.

It's like Olives... (keep reading I have a point) I know loads of people who used to really hate olives because they couldn't get used to the taste... But after a few years of eating other foods, they suddenly really like olives.. It's like a maturing of the taste buds or something.

In my opinion it's the same with music and how we train our ear. Some people just never work on the development and so only ever hear what the radio plays them... Sad really because half the fun in music if seeking out an artist that isn't over played and finding out what they're really about.

May all your olives be tasty ones. Wink