Sign in to follow this  
PerksOfAWallflower

???anti-regspekt????how can that be...

quote:
Originally posted by bitsofbone:

It's like Olives... (

In my opinion it's the same with music and how we train our ear. Some people just never work on the development and so only ever hear what the radio plays them... Sad really because half the fun in music if seeking out an artist that isn't over played and finding out what they're really about.

I agree... I'm so glad i got an iPod and don't listen to the radio anymore. I agree that a great voice can have many diverse definitions. One one hand you have singers like Christina, Beyonce, Mariah, Celine, Whitney (you get my drift) and I do find them to have technically great voices... but I would define a great voice as one that moves me... Regina obviously, also Lila Downs (amazing woman check her out), Jenny Lewis, Shakira, Natacha Atlas....

I guess there's the voice, range, pitch, control, phrasing...so many factors which contribute to a great vocal interpretation of music..

i've always liked olives, esp. the green ones with pimento..Smiler

and to hell with the regina illerati. Ppl at my work don't like her too much (what little they know of her) and like to mock the vocalisations in Fidelity...

I mean, it's dumb not to like her just cause her music is different... but i think a lot of ppl heard fidelity and got scared off (sad, i know).

But having a great voice doesn't make you boring. I find nothing boring about Christina or Jennifer Hudson. Beyonce is good for parties and has an ok voice, but it's not art. she also works her ass off, though.

but I think it is really a combination of everything that makes a great artist: a voice, an instrument, and the songs. If someone with a great voice sang mediocre songs, i might still listen, especially if they were catchy. Don't beat me for saying this, but I don't think Regina has the best voice I've ever heard. Certainly stronger than, say, Vannessa Carlton or Fergie :shudders: but if she were singing everyday pop songs she just plain wouldn't be regina. her piano also makes me respect her more because I played piano for five years and i still can't play any of her songs while singing... or sing onkey at all... and don't even mention poor little rich boy.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

YEA! the variation and diversity.... name one other artist that can write.. your honor, and hero, and time is all around... SO DIFFERENT>>> ALL SO GREAT!

The Beatles. Not literally of course, but there are other artists in the past that have had a similar amount of diversity. But I don't mean to conradict you, Regina is one of the very few amazingly original and diverse musicians I have heard.

It really annoys me how readily people will say regina spektor's music is rubbish

So many of my friends dislike her music because it's different and she experiments with her voice

People think i'm weird because i'm the only person i know who is obcessed with Regina Spektor

I'm pleased I'm not the only one, it was beginning to feel that way Smiler