Sign in to follow this  
singing.lovesongs

dusseldorf interpretations

ok so ive taken on this extra unit of english where i have to write an 8000 word story. i was inspired by regina spektor's 'dusseldorf' and im writing a story based on the events described in that song. however some of the lyrics are oblique to say the least.

e.g:

"in frankfurt i heard eins zwei drei

counting cookies and no one was shot"

what i need is interpretations from you guys that i can use in my story. some sort of explanation of what she means or just what you personally think the lyrics mean.

"in prague i knew i'd been a witch

burnt alive a pyre of soviet kitsch"

to be honest i dont exactly know what soviet kitsch means yet. or what 'muttdom' means. just take a look at the lyrics and come up with some interpretations/meanings/ideas ANYTHING!

ok so ive taken on this extra unit of english where i have to write an 8000 word story. i was inspired by regina spektor's 'dusseldorf' and im writing a story based on the events described in that song. however some of the lyrics are oblique to say the least.

e.g:

"in frankfurt i heard eins zwei drei

counting cookies and no one was shot"

what i need is interpretations from you guys that i can use in my story. some sort of explanation of what she means or just what you personally think the lyrics mean.

"in prague i knew i'd been a witch

burnt alive a pyre of soviet kitsch"

to be honest i dont exactly know what soviet kitsch means yet. or what 'muttdom' means. just take a look at the lyrics and come up with some interpretations/meanings/ideas ANYTHING!

quote:
e.g:

in frankfurt i heard eins zwei drei

counting cookies and no one was shot

Whenever I hear this part of the song the image I get is how back in Nazi Germany when someone was in front of a firing squad of German soldiers, a high ranking officer would either call out eins, the soldiers would shoot, zwei, shoot… you get the point, or they would count out eins, zwei, drei and then shoot. So the crude reality/mild humour of it all is that they hear eins, zwei, drei thinking someone is going to get shot, but it’s really just someone, possibly a street vendor, counting cookies.

Whatever mosaic of events that is happening in Regina’s head when she wrote and sings this song, or any song, will never be exactly how any of us perceive it, but that’s what is amazing about it because each song can have an infinite amount of storylines. The history of events may be the only thing in her songs that we can build upon. And done.

First off, welcome to the stix. Cool

I disagree with you as will many others. We have had quite a few threads created on this very subject and the majority of people agree that it is muttdom.

However, we are all free to sing it as we wish.

Once again, welcome aboard.....

quote:
Originally posted by fredsparrman:

"Soviet Kitsch" is the name of her album prior to "Begin to Hope".

I think what you're hearing as "muttdom" is actually "martyrdom".

I listened to this about 30 times the other day--just this phrase--and it sounded like muttdom to me.