Sign in to follow this  
Stepped On A Syringe

New EP on iTunes

Clean versions are for haters of art.

You can't clean art, just as you can't censor your thoughts, change the past, or wage a war on terror. To think that you can is foolish, and unfortunate.

I am curious though.

I'm a bit torn between the clean/original versions. I definitely prefer the original of course, as clean versions tend to change the meaning of songs. Changing "bitch" to "witch" may actually lead some to believe that Marianne is an actual witch when in fact no, she's just a bitch.

But, I have a little sister (10 years) so sometimes I appreciate when my favorite artists clean up their songs. I don't like my sis hearing swears so young so I have a playlist on my Zen that is just clean Regina songs (and other artists) to hear when we're in the car or when she's around.

As long as Regina doesn't censor herself in her albums, I don't mind clean versions at all. It's good to have options sometimes. Smiler

SmilerReginaology:clean ~vs~ unclean,

I have to agree with Tessa on this one..

Was this the release that was supposed to be

called F(*&! F(*&! F(*&! F(*&!.. now it's

Clean! Clean! Clean! Clean! I do think that a witch is much scarier than a female dog!

Somehow I can't picture Regina's mom telling

her students to open your books to page 42 because today we are going be studying my daughter's new release entitled F-F-F-F!

and someone is F-ing to one of my daughter's songs next door and so on..

I have a 14 year old daughter who has heard all of that but I believe that kids hear all that soon enough. Oh,and also I can play it on the overhead system for all the patients to hear Big Grin

(of course I like FFFFF and Bitch better lol)

i think censorship murders art and creativity....

and people should not be afraid to introduce their children to swearing, it is the parents obligation to teach their children that swearing is wrong, from real life experience i know this for a fact it depends on the will of the child and parenting. my sister and i were both exposed to rather crude songs almost immediatly after birth. my father is a musician and believes that music is god pretty much and he always tried introducing us to wonderful artsy music...god i thank him for that. my sister and i both listened to hendrix and joplin at a young age, continued to listen throughout our older years, but she decided to live with our mom and i decided to live with our dad. my mother never allowed cursing but allowed my sister to listen to unclean music if she didnt swear, whereas i was allowed to do whatever the f i wanted i thank my dad for that too. my sister and i both grew up fine, both lovers of "unclean" music but she doesnt swear and i do.....simple parenting i believe! but even if i wouldve lived with my mom i think i wouldve sworn as a teenager, but my sister is not like that at all...

^I wouldn't do that. For one my sister has a ton of little friends and she plays them her music and vice versa. It's really not very safe (imo) to expose kids to music with adult language. They're kids for a reason. There's plenty of "Artsy" music that is clean, anyway.

Eeker Not clean anymore! lol..What could Mary Ann be now!? Confused..Let's see ... Mary Ann's A Glitch!

Mary Ann's A Ditch!

Mary Ann's Kitsch!!

hhmmm Who cares..

Because Regina has openly stated that she doesn't mind people sharing her music and taping her shows, I would buy it no matter what was on it just to support Regina who has given of herself so freely ...(I have pre-ordered it)

~Peace

Regarding the clean vs. unaltered issue: I'm not understanding where people get the idea that it's 'not safe' to expose children to curse words in music. What is so unsafe about it?

On the side of the debate that seems more sane to me, parenting is what is important. Teaching values, lessons, rules, giving boundaries, etc. The words will be heard/understood by children regardless. Teaching them about the potential destructive meanings of such words is what's important. This is the same thing as video games, films, television, the internet, books, etc... Deflecting blame for a child's behaviour onto any form of media is lazy.

I know this is a hot debate with some people, but it has always made me feel empathy for children that aren't taught right/wrong, or reality/fantasy. Instead they are tucked away as if the world will destroy them otherwise. When the parents play the part of the victim it's not a good sign. If they don't take responsibilty, odds are that the children learn to do thet same, and that's simply not fair, or safe. Sheltering children is not the answer, it patronising. They are smarter than that. Educating them, seems to me, is a far better option than sheltering until one day reality floods in and overwhelms them.

It's a sign of a much larger problem though. Especially in the US, where Censorship has gone far beyond what it was meant for. Small groups of people (special interests groups) can to control what everyone else has access to by utilising PR tactics/ scare tactics to pressure corporations into compliance. When you start to explore the related lawsuits it just illustrates how out of control the system is. It's a shame, and laughable to the rest of the world. Hopefully it will turn around, but I doubt it as long as the government is in bed with the hardline religious communities.

The saddest part is that these corporations/retailers/entertainment conglomerates control a large part of the media around the globe as well, potentially choking the life, and authenticity out of art. Luckily we still have the internet... for now.