allflowerz

Other good music

Personally, I recommend Marina & the Diamonds. She's Welsh. Her new album is out in a few weeks, and, thought she has adopted a very "Pop" sound, deals with a great deal of social commentary and American ideology.

Also, for those of you who don't know her, you should really look into Florence + the Machine! She's just incredible. She has the voice of a siren (in a very big way), and tackles such things like werewolves, Spirituality, and death in her lyrics. In this way, her music is a little bit like Regina's, but ever so much... Bigger.

Florence is terrific! I haven't heard much besides Lungs, though. I thought about seeing Eclipse, half for the fun of it and half because she's on the soundtrack, but then I couldn't be bothered. Her cover of Beirut's "Postcards from Italy" is pretty great.

Another one you should all check out is Laura Marling, a British folk singer. Usually I tell people to start with "Rambling Man," "Failure" or "Night After Night," both because they're more accessible than some of her other songs and because they're some of my favorites. But I'm guessing most Regina fans can handle the weirder stuff, so you can probably start with whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

^I just did. Damn, Emelie!! You have such a great voice! Big Grin

The song in general isn't exactly my style, but it's definitely succeeding in what it's trying to do!

Do you have any other studio recorded works lying around on the internet? Smiler

Oh, now I look like such an attention seeker. Sorry :roll eyes: Raph! Thank you! Well, it's a school project so it's not exactly his style either. Another reason why I'm so impressed he pulled it off. And I can't understand how he can have so much stuff in it without it sounding too messy. I wasn't too crazy about the lyrics, I have to say. Lyrics are really important to me, as I'm sure you know. Thank you again =) and no, there's no other studio stuff yet. But I'm in the middle of recording. Do you know if stuff need to be mastered before they go on soundcloud? I don't know anything about mastering...

quote:
I guess with the youtube videos I mostly paid attention to the songs themselves, the lyrics, melody, etc. but it’s hard not to notice your voice with such a clear recording on sound cloud! Wow, RJ’s right, you do have a great voice! And props to Mr. Manfred Hanberg on the arranging of that funky sound.

Thank you, porcupine-ologist! (I love your username btw) I will be sure to bring you clearer recordings at some point so you can focus on both the melodies, lyrics and singing =)

And WaPoF! Marina is great! I haven't listened that much though. I started when she wasn't signed and had only seventeen and obsessions on her myspace and then I got too busy to keep up when she released her first album. I have to check her newer stuff out.

Sort of random, but I saw an ad for a TV show and they had Never Let Me Go by Florence and the Machine playing. I've been meaning to listen to it for a while now (I've heard of the name, but never actually listened to anything by them). So now I am. This is a really nice song Smiler

i have a good friend who loves florence. She actually prefers her to regina Eeker i can respect what florence does, and i'm glad she exists. She has a cool voice and her style is very nice.. However!!!!!!! i doubt i'll meet much opposition around here when i say: she's nowhere as good as regina! especially on the vocal front! are you kidding me?!

Anyway, i think it's more that florence has songs that are really down on romance and have a darkness in them that's only hinted at in regina's songs. The added feeling of autobigraphical writing makes teh darkness all the more poignant, and i think that's what my friend is responding to.. I mean, florence is "bigger," but regina does big AND small on a regular basis: the best of both worlds, and both conquered so masterfully! She can't be beat, imho.

But everyone's musical tastes are different, blah blah, yak yak yakkity yak lol! XP Wink

I agree with you about Florence. She's very different from Regina, but sometimes they have overlapping themes. Florence is just, like you said... BIG. Regina can do BIG just fine ("Apres Moi," "Genius Next Door"), but can also be any other emotions. THAT is what I like about Regina--she can be anyone, anytime, anywhere. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Klachopis:

I've been most impressed with the Alabama Shakes.

[/url]

I love them! It's one of my favorite 2012 albums so far, together with Anais Mitchell's "Young Man in America" and Sharon Van Etten's "Tramp" (but I prefer the previous records of both of them).

Talking music Regina's fans might like, I suppose everyone knows Joanna Newsom? "YS" is her most acclaimed record but I personally prefer the last one "Have One on Me". Also Agnes Obel's "Philarmonics" is well worth a listen.

Yeah, Sharon Van Etten's good. I spend most of my time hearing folk/Americana artists, but others I like who might fit better here include Vienna Teng, Elizabeth and the Catapult (Elizabeth was in the audience at Regina's recent show at the Beacon), and Pomplamoose.

Strongly recommend Tift Merritt as one of the best Americana artists out there.. I have been following her for 10 years, and we even had a chat about Regina after one of her shows, and she called Regina 'wonderful' and a 'beautiful singer'.. so she has good taste too..