PerksOfAWallflower

language nerds !!!!

i think one of the things that interested me about regina is her russian background. because I am a hxc language nerd. and proud of it...

being an english speaker there was no real pressure for me to speak anyother language growing up. no one i knew spoke anything but english. if you stay in the US you only need english (though spanish is catching up wth us here)

anyways...i have no ethnicity that i know exactly. i am a mutt, and this makes me sad, because language ties in so much with culture.

ive been taking french for 4 years...and love it. we started a french club and are nerdy together sharing language happenings(like in french how the Je form of etre and suivre are the same... weird!)

anyways... i love bilangual people, and trilangual and more. and regina really strikes a cord with me for partially this reason. the bilangual brain also intrests me.

and i wonder if regina thinks predominantly in russian, because she said in an interview she feels she "truly expresses herself in english".....???

mmmhh.... interesting prospect. anyone who is bilangual ,which i know many people who post are from different countries, please share any weird things about your two language habits. i love to hear about these.

my canadian friend when she gets mad her french comes out. any kind of weird little stories like this i love to hear!!!! post please!!!!!

I took 1 1/2 semesters of Russian before I quit college, 15 years ago. I can speak and write well enough in English, but I think it seriously helps to have a grasp of the mechanics of your own language, before attempting to learn another. When I met Regina last year I so wanted to remember something witty in Russian, but all I could remember was "che eta portfile", that I'm sure I just mispelled, which means "where is my briefcase".

Man, I had a serious crush on my Russian teacher, she was very fashionable, had fantastic red hair, and spoke English, Russian, French, German, and Spanish!

Well, I'm a portuguese speaker and I absolutely hated English until I was 15. When I turned that age, for some reason I decided that I wanted to learn it, so I taught myself. I really thought it would be harder, but movies, cable TV and the Internet really helped me!

I'm majoring in Languages (God only knows if I'll finish it) and in our freshmen year, we learn some basic stuff, but when we get to our sophomore year, we get to choose another language to major. I thought about English, cuz I really like it... but we don't really get to choose this other language, we get it depending on our grades. Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as I wish I was, so I was afraid I wouldn't get a high enough grade to get into English, so I decided I was going to study German. But in my 2nd semester in College, I read Tolstoi's "The death of Ivan Ilitch" and I fell in love with it. After that I was really torn between majoring in Russian or German. I ended up choosing German, which now I think was a BIG mistake. Why? I can't learn this language! I feel so stupid in my German classes, it's awful. So now I think I'll go back to Russian, but it's even harder than German, so I don't know.

You were talking about "language nerds" and I consider myself one, not because I can comunicate in 2 lanaguages, but because I'm really interested in words... I don't know how to explain it, but language gives you all these tools and I love seeing how people use them, you know? For exemple: Loveology (and Reginasaurus) are 2 brilliant songs in that aspect. She uses a suffix that has a meaning known by pretty much everybody (-logy) with a radical that usually doesn't accept that suffix, like... well pretty much every word in this song. lol And she makes up new words that make so much sense. Not to mention all the amazing metaphors she creates in other songs. I think this is one of the many reasons I admire her so much, she knows the tools she has and she's not afraid of using them. If I were majoring in English, I would definitely write a Morphology paper on one of the said songs.

I think now you understand why I consider myself a "language nerd". *is really embarassed*

... im so glad we have all these language nerds here! and yes Alexey it is understandable that your use of one language is enriched with another...french has helped me write engish essays because the french use fancy words...hahha (like scolded in french is repremanded). and it helps my writing look more educated. the only thing i realy dislike is in my second language of french i sound so childish because it is very hard to express my most profound thoughs with a limited vocabulary... this bugs me so much because we try to have debates in french and im stuck saying for example "um...people who hurt others are bad, yea..because its wrong and thats why" i just sound uneducated. but hopefully with more studying and practice i will learn to be more profound in both languages.

Dear PerksOfAWallflower:

Do not despair Smiler It is very hard to express youself in a foreign language. I became a language nerd by necessity - my familly just immigrated and I had no choice (Englishis my second language). I felt very stupid not being able to communicate even basic things. It just takes a lot of practice and "not being shy about making mistakes". Nobody expects you to be perfect.

Il serra mon plaisir de pratiquer en peux Français avec vous!

Hope I said it right Smiler

I can't speak english, but read free and easy. Paradox! I read without the dictionary! But all the same the main thing that people each other understood, is not dependent on in what language they speak and never were at war.

Do not laugh my English and I shall not laugh your Russian )

Marry Ann, where are you from?

PerksOfAWallflower, if it makes you feel any better, I can't express myself in any of the languages I can speak Wink. But seriously, it's really hard to express yourself using words. Even people we think are really articulate can't express themseves the way they want. Just keep in mind that words aren't graffic representatives of the world, our feelings or our opinions.

Alexey, I won't laugh at your English or your Portuguese (if you ever try to speak it), but you'll surely laugh at my Russian. The only word I know is a dirty word! lol

I know that words Cool

Great and mightly russian

Nobody knows some kind of japanees or suakhily, but russian everybody Smiler

My friend Cirilo make score at Dynamo - Spartak russian futsal championatship today. Do you like futsal? Smiler

I love football. We have some brazilian players in Russia. The one that comes to mind is Vagner Love, he plays on CSKA Moscow. There's another Brazilian in this team, but I can't remeber his name and he even plays in our national team. We have brazilian football players pretty much everywhere! lol