PerksOfAWallflower

language nerds !!!!

you probably wouldn't know them unless you studied a foreign language because you just know them in your mother tongue and other languages learned at a young age. it is simply the pattern of stems in a verb chart. for example in french most of the verbs change stems only in nous and vous forms that makes the stems that are similar form a boot when in the verb chart.

devoir- must present tense

dois devons

dois devez

doit doivent

it kind of looks like a shoe/boot.

http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa030400.htm

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

*another funny thing i've noticed is how parisians inhale when they say ouais. its so funny to me. anyways... im smiling thinking about accents Smiler

so, this was posted long ago, but I wanted to reply anyways...

I didn't know French people did that (inhale when they say ouais) but as a nerd I find that really cool! ^_^ In Sweden people tend to use just a quick inhalation as a way of saying "yes", they don't even use a word, just inhale. (well, the lazy people do)

and this is a cool thread. ^_^ I love languages!

quote:
Originally posted by Shack:

I'm sure it's been said, but I think that one of the fascinating pleasures of language is how it can really help one to understand and appreciate other cultures and perspectives - or just a new way to approach/understand an idea. There's something terribly amusing about expressions in various languages -- how an idea is expressed, the use of poetic language (metaphor, simile), and idioms.

Very true! Understanding a language, I think, can help you understand a culture, and people.

One thing I find interesting is how language affects your way of thinking, your way of seeing the world. For example, in the book 1984 Orwell speculates around this. The book is about a future world where an extremely controlling government has taken over, and one thing they do is try to change the language. They try to take out words so that concepts like "freedom" and "equality" cannot exist in people's minds. Quite interesting.

For those who speak a language such as French, Russian, Spanish: you are familiar with the different ways of changing a verb according to who is doing it. (I do, she does) (Je suis, elle est) (ya lyublu, ona lyubit). In Japanese they change the verb according to the social rank of a person. differently for young children, adults, old people, etc. For example, I know a woman who grew up in Japan and for her it was perfectly normal to say to her classmates, "hello friend classmate-below me" or "hello friend classmate-above me". To me, this seems so weird. How do you keep track of who is "above" you and who is "below" you?

...well I wonder how much language really limits/helps us in developing intellectual ideas, and if it does at all. Because even as a child, with a very limited vocabulary, you can understand things that you can't put into words.

Any thoughts on this?

I am trying to learn how to say the word 'love' in 27 languages.

So far I have English, obviously, but also

liefhebben (dutch)

amore (french, spanish, and italian, though the first is pronounced differently than the other two)

liebe- german

amor- portuguese

Does anyone know of any others? I tried using google for Russian Arabic Hebrew, Chinese and Greek but those all use character alphabets and cyrillic letters which I can neither read nor pronounce.

quote:
Does anyone know of any others? I tried using google for Russian

In Russian it is, любовь, which is transliterated to Lyubov'. The last character represents a 'soft sign' so it makes the 'v' sound more like an 'f' - Lyu-bof'.