PerksOfAWallflower

language nerds !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Marry Ann:

Dear PerksOfAWallflower:

I totally agree with Cynthia - it depends on the matter discussed. I think about some things in English and some things in Russian, others in Hebrew. It depends in which language you learned it or in which language you discuss it more often. I know people who study in the US but are not English native speakers - whenever they talk about their studies, they switch to English. Funny Smiler

im the same way =) most things i think about in english or russian, and sometimes hebrew.

Cool to find a language confused fellow!

People usually ask me which language do I count or dream in, as if it were the best indication to your "true linguistic self". The answer is all of the above Smiler How about you?

i actually had a dream in fench the other night... its funny when i went to explan it to my mom started in french.... and sometimes if im studying french and my cell rings i accidently answer in bonjour...hehe thats happened a few times... and another question for you guys.....

the things you say alot in both languages when you go to say them, do you say it in one language but think it in the other in your head? (if that makes any sense)

i do that alot, when i say "i dont know" in my head i say "j'sais pas" at the same time... and hahaha quick funny story.. we had a french prompt about the government and my french teacher stood up and said "what do you know about the french gouverment" with and oooo sound instead of uh.. it was hilarious! she said half the word in french the other half in english..haha

quote:
Originally posted by Marry Ann:

Cool to find a language confused fellow!

People usually ask me which language do I count or dream in, as if it were the best indication to your "true linguistic self". The answer is all of the above Smiler How about you?

It depends on the dream! lol I usually dream in Portuguese. Sometimes, in my dreams, I talk to english speakers in english and sometimes I talk to them in portuguese and they understand!

But even in my dreams I find it incredibly hard to speak english, I guess that's why I end up talking in portuguese to english speakers... I don't know...

haha... I'm primarily Russian, much German, but living in America I speak English. I usually think and dream in a certain language depending on who im with. If I'm around my grandparents, who dont speak english, I dream in russian. same with other russian and german relatives. usually its in english though

I speak German, English and French (well, at least I try too).

I live in Austria so I speak German most of the time, but next year I will go to the USA for a whole year to improve my english skills *yeah*. I started to learn English 10 years ago at school and I started to learn French 4 years ago (but I'm not sure, if can say a whole sentence...).

Psycholinguistics? Is that like NLP (Neuro linguistical programming)? NLP is a communication studies based on how messages between people are received, and how certain "types" of personality can be adressed in the best way to get the message through, or to be effectively communicated (Like not asking why). In addition it's about 'strategising' your life in some positive way (not thinking about what might go wrong along the way but where you want to be and how you will get there).

quote:
Originally posted by Beechcraft Bonanza:

Psycholinguistics? Is that like NLP (Neuro linguistical programming)? NLP is a communication studies based on how messages between people are received, and how certain "types" of personality can be adressed in the best way to get the message through, or to be effectively communicated (Like not asking why). In addition it's about 'strategising' your life in some positive way (not thinking about what might go wrong along the way but where you want to be and how you will get there).

It's not quite that. I would love to explain more about psycholinguistics to you, but my lack of english skills don't allow me to. So I found this article on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycholinguistics

It's really interesting!