PerksOfAWallflower

language nerds !!!!

yea ive heard of psycholinguistics... it really interests me, anything having to do with language intrests me, sadly my language skill stink, the only other language i speak is french and i am a pathetic example of a francophone. if you could even call me a francophone, but i try, and i fail, then i try again. and hopefully one day i will be fluent.

Cynthia- your english is amazing, really, i wouldve never know you werent a native speaker. you are truely inspiring to us wanna-be bilinguals..

quote:
Cynthia- your english is amazing, really, i wouldve never know you werent a native speaker. you are truely inspiring to us wanna-be bilinguals..

I totally LOL at this. Not because it's a laughable statment, but it's just SO not how feel! I've been "studying" english for 7 years and I still don't feel confident about it. Even if I ever live in America, for instance, for a significant period of time, I still wouldn't be confident about it. It's like Regina said in that Sunday Morning interview.

I wish I could speak other languages, though. I wish I were able to learn German...

Well as I've told you 100 times before. You can write better than many folks who were born here. So pat yourself on the back. If I were to try Portugese you'd never understand me.

You sit here day after day conversing with people who have no clue it's your second (or third or fourth or fifth) language. Face it Cyn, you're amazing!

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

Well as I've told you 100 times before. You can write better than many folks who were born here. So pat yourself on the back. If I were to try Portugese you'd never understand me.

You sit here day after day conversing with people who have no clue it's your second (or third or fourth or fifth) language. Face it Cyn, you're amazing!

I definitely don't know how to take compliments, so "Thank you! Now I'm gonna sit here shyly and not look up" Razzer

And I'm pretty sure you'd do great if you tried portuguese. I used to work with this russian girl and I would always tell her how I wanted to learn russian, but it was too much of a difficult language for me and she would say: "No, it's not hard! It's really easy actually" (imagine this sentence spoken in portuguese with the cutest russian accent)... yeah, right! So, I won't lie to you, I think after French and German, Portuguese is the hardest language to learn (of the western languages). But it can be done! I have an aussie friend who's been living here for a little over a year and she speaks really well! I love her accent! I love accents in general.

And Perks, I forgot to say in my previous post, but I think you're probably really good in French, you're just not confident about it.

hehe well thanks Cyn... if you spoke french id write you letter. (I hope you feel better..hehe regina song moment..a cannon) *anyways... sorry you guys for always posting in a confusing way but this is how im thinking it right now.. song references and all.*

im so not confident about french, i have a friend from quebec and she always wants to speak french, but i am scared i will say something with a huge accent or so wrong that she runs out of the room crying yelling "you butchered my native language". hehe thats how i imagine it anyways regardless of if she would do that. in class i am the shyess and i make little comments to myself and the guy next to me nudges me telling me to speak up but im too afraid. its a love hate relationship that french and i have.... i <3 you guys so much and all your support..many times XoxoX's....

I know what you mean by being language-shy... in fact, I really have a bad stutter when I try to speak a foreign language (French or English) to a native speaker. It does not happen when I speak English to Dutch or French people, it's strange... and when my Frisian friends tried to have me speak Frisian, they laughed every time at my clumsy attempts full of stutters and bad pronounciation. It's one of the hardest languages to learn when it comes to speaking as soundwise, it merges Dutch, German and English in so odd a way I just can't get the right pronounciation (I do understand most of it though). I gave up on it, my Frisian friends moved to the USA or other towns.

When I'm with Lauren it's really funny cuz she doesn't feel comfortable speaking portuguese and I don't feel comfortable speaking english. So, whenever I'm with her, I speak portuguese and she speaks english and we get along just fine! Razzer I mean, she does speak incredibly fast sometimes and I just pretend I understand her... on the phone it's worse! lol Sometimes, I think she pretends she doesn't understand something in portuguese and makes me translate things for her... it is so embarassing!

I miss her, can't wait to see her this week!

I'm so glad I'm a native-german-speaker (does this word exist?). I can't imagine how difficult it must be to learn German.

Has anyone of you ever tried to learn it?

I don't think French is very difficult to learn. I mean, I'm not able to speak it, but I think I'm just too lazy to try real hard.

quote:
Originally posted by Suih:

I'm so glad I'm a native-german-speaker (does this word exist?). I can't imagine how difficult it must be to learn German.

Has anyone of you ever tried to learn it?

I don't think French is very difficult to learn. I mean, I'm not able to speak it, but I think I'm just too lazy to try real hard.

I dropped out my German major in college after 1 semester. Wasn't able to learn that language... damn! Maybe someday I will... I swear, I would cry everyday, cuz my teacher would speak in german to me and I had no idea what the fuck she was talking about... lol I wouldn't cry in front of the class, of course... that would be too lame even for me.

The french grammar may not be so difficult(all the latin languages grammar are kinda similar) but speaking it seems really hard... they have all these different sounds for vowels...

Suih, do you know Latin? Cuz I heard in Germany people had like 7 years of Latin in school, I don't know if the same thing happens in Austria (It's Österreich, isn't it? I can't remeber anything anymore... ¬¬). Actually, I don't even know if it's true in Germany.

wow maybe im just a dumbass but french is really hard for me.... maybe im just too hard on myself because ive been told i speak fine french, but i know better than to believe it! lol.. its hard to start with, but then its just correcting grammar, and learning vocab.... ill learn eventually. right now i still get the wrong prepostion all the time.