PerksOfAWallflower

language nerds !!!!

Thank you Benjamin Franklin! (I feel like I'm time travelling.. Hehe)

Your post is really encouraging! Thank you!

You know.. I like to complain about my level in English, so that people may think that in reality I am much smarter than it seems! Razzer

And.. Nellie McKay! I am so thrilled to discover this artist! Thank you! She is fantastic! The way she sings, plays piano and plays with the words.. wow! Big Grin

However, I already knew Joanna Newsom and -don't make fun of me- her voice scares me. Sorry if I offend anyone..

By the way, if you love other artists I would be very happy to know them!!

I was just thinking about the pronunciation of 'ne me quitte pas' and I tried to research it a bit. Apparently, if you were to spell it out phonetically it would be "nuh muh keet pah".

So I tried saying it out loud and I can't help but say a tiny "-te" at the end of "keet" or rather, quitte. I think it's because the two consonants "t" and "p" are right next to each other. And in order to pronounce it without the "-te" at the end of quitte, you'd have to place an awkward pause between keet and pah. Try saying "nuh muh keet pah" (french-like) all together and I think you will know what I mean. Am i making any sense? Please forgive me, I don't really know what I'm talking about because I don't speak French (I do want to learn Smiler ). This is just my interpretation about how people pronounce it and why.

I like this website that gives you pronunciations from native speakers...here are some links...

this guy says it right> ne me quitte pas

quitter

ne quittez pas

P.S. Speaking of language nerds...I noticed that I always start sentences with And and But and So, and that is bad grammar but I can't help it, that's the way my thoughts work out. Roll Eyes Also I think I think I might use too many commas...and too many "..."s or ellipses for that matter. Ugh sorry.

It's hard to explain how to pronounce a word in a forum!

First of all, you have to know that there are many different accents in France. Indeed, each region has its own unique accent and its expressions.

For example, my accent ; the southern accent is said to be a "sing-song accent". We say all the vowels and we stress them. I have not a strong southern accent but people recognize where I come from by my accent. Smiler

Anyway, you're right about the phonetic of "ne me quitte pas".

Indeed, you can say "nuh muh keet pah". But it's hard!.. I'm sure that the "guy who say it right" doesn't come from the south!

When I say it, my pronunciation is "nuh muh keet-uh pah". And Regina pronounces it very well! Especially during the first "ne me quitte pas " refrain, the last "quitte" is PERFECT.

Well, I hope everything is clear!

I've said this before...many times I think. But I think she's just doing a "ne me regrette rien" pronounciation of the verb. It's artistic, and not wrong to pronounce the -e when it's not supposed to if it fits the rythm of the song. Take Alanis Morissette for example. She pronounces words like they're not supposed to when talking. When a word ends with -tion she usually puts a lot of emphasis on the i. Just because it fits the song or rhyme or something. Or because it's funnier to say, idk Wink But I think reg was informed about how to say it but chose to keep it this way.

When I talk about the song I pronounce it correctly (studied French for 6 years...a bit damaged) but when I sing it I don't...

kaoir! Il y a longtemps que j'ai parlé ou ecrivé la francais, et ma grammaire est térrible maintenant. Mais je comprend les choses que vous écrivez... C'est amusant/bon (fun not funny. couldn't find the word) que vous êtes ici et que vous aimez les langues differentes =) hehe sorry. I tried. Would it be terribly rude for me to call you "tu" on here? Just curious?

quote:
Originally posted by kaoir:

It's hard to explain how to pronounce a word in a forum!

First of all, you have to know that there are many different accents in France. Indeed, each region has its own unique accent and its expressions.

For example, my accent ; the southern accent is said to be a "sing-song accent". We say all the vowels and we stress them. I have not a strong southern accent but people recognize where I come from by my accent. Smiler

Anyway, you're right about the phonetic of "ne me quitte pas".

Indeed, you can say "nuh muh keet pah". But it's hard!.. I'm sure that the "guy who say it right" doesn't come from the south!

When I say it, my pronunciation is "nuh muh keet-uh pah". And Regina pronounces it very well! Especially during the first "ne me quitte pas " refrain, the last "quitte" is PERFECT.

Well, I hope everything is clear!

Oh I know there are many different accents. Also, I didn't mean Regina was saying it wrong or anything like that, or that "this guy says it right" was the only right way to pronounce it correctly, I just meant he says it better than me. Smiler

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was just thinking about people and different ways to pronounce things and how one might naturally add the "-tuh" at the end of quitte. Because I also say it like that.

Sweetness in my lungs: I think you're very right! Anyway, in my original post I was just thinking about how someone can add the "tuh" to end of quitte when speaking it flowing all together because it just comes naturally. Which I think explains why you say it like that while singing but not talking. maybe....? I still don't think I made any sense. Big Grin

porcupine-ologist! Sorry if my post seems agressive. It was not my intention. Frowner

By the way, if you say the "-tuh" at the end of quitte, it's cool. Southern people are always right! Wink

sweetness in my lungs : You're right about the "je ne regrette rien" pronunciation! I forgot to mention it.

Okaaay.. I want to speak French!

First of all,

quote:
Would it be terribly rude for me to call you "tu" on here? Just curious?

We can address each other as "tu"! It's ok!

1.2.3 GOOOOO! :

Pour commencer, merci de prendre le temps d'écrire en français!

Entre ça et les quelques mots de Regina, j'ai du mal à m'arrêter de sourire!

Je te rassure tout de suite, ta grammaire n'est pas si terrible que ça! Il y a quelques petites fautes mais rien de bien méchant. Wink

En plus, pour quelqu'un qui a étudié le français pendant 6 ans, je trouve que tu te débrouilles bien! Moi ça fait au moins 10 ans que j'étudie l'anglais et ça me semble toujours aussi difficile..

Quoiqu'il en soit, c'est marrant d'inverser les rôles! Je vais juste essayer de ne pas trop m'y habituer..

En réalité, je m’intéresse beaucoup plus aux langues étrangères qu’auparavant. Surtout depuis que je me suis mise à écouter des artistes tels que Regina Spektor. Je suis vraiment fascinée par la façon dont elle manie les mots. En plus, ça me semblait impossible de l'apprécier sans échanger des idées avec vous tous!

Bon. Je crois qu'il vaut mieux que je m'arrête de parler ou sinon je ne vais plus pouvoir m’arrêter! Merci encore!

I'm so so so happy that this thread has been revived! I am a terrible language nerd and I don't know that many people who would share this fascination and have the patience to listen to me blabbering on about langauges...

First of all, kaoir, I think your English is execellent! Of course English is as foreign to me as it is to you, but I think you express yourself very clearly and, well, expressively. Smiler I love French and I'd love to be a fluent speaker... I'm supposed to be, since I studied the language for eight(?) years, according to the "long programme". I understand it okay, written language especially, but I can't express myself at all. I've never really spoken French with a native speaker, apart from bonjour, merci etc., I've always been too afraid of making stupid mistakes or not being able to say anything at all. I just watched 'La Môme', the film about Edith Piaf, and it was so nice to hear French again!

I study singing at school and I've sang some pieces in French. At least in classical or "semi-classical" music it seems that the end vowels are pronounced more often than not. It took some getting used to, but nowadays I quite like how it makes the text flow. What I still find hard is the fact that the 'r' doesn't have to be quite as "throat-y" in singing as it is in speaking... It just sounds so wrong! Big Grin

And finally, a stupid question for English-speking population around here! Lana del Rey's song Video Games is a song that bothers me for multiple reasons, but one of them is the lyrics at the end of the chorus:

"They say that the world was built for two/Only worth living if somebody is loving you/Baby now you do"

SO, is that correct? Or should it be "is loving you/... now you are"? I confused! Big Grin And I'm not saying that song lyrics should always be grammatically perfect, but this has been bugging me and I would like to know how this line should work. Big Grin

kaoir: No,no, you didn't sound too aggressive. I just wanted to explain I wasn't criticizing anyone's accent at all. I feel like I have trouble explaining myself. When I share my ideas, later on I will think to myself "oh, I should have said this and not that and so on...

But I did appreciate your explanation of the sing-song accent, it was very interesting, I didn't know that!

Anyway, please continue your conversation in French, please don't mind my interruption! Smiler

Sorry for the double post!!

rainna: That's a good question. I'm a little confused by it too. I've only heard the song maybe twice and I could be totally wrong but here is my opinion.

A part of the lyrics go:

"I heard that you like the bad girls

Honey, is that true?

It's better than I ever even knew

They say that the world was built for two

Only worth living if somebody is loving you

Baby now you do"

I think she is answering her own question of whether "he likes bad girls". She decided that she is a bad girl and decided that now he does like her too.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

The title of this thread grabbed my interest. Once again, I regret starting with Spanish rather than French. Nonetheless, it's still on my list. Does anyone know if there are any German speakers on the forum?