PerksOfAWallflower

language nerds !!!!

I love languages too! My best friend is like your mom, himynameism. She speaks French, English, Spanish, German and she is learning Japanese! I just speak French, *cough* English*cough* and a little bit of Spanish. I would love to learn a Nordic language, Icelandic for example!

I love Russian too but it seems really difficult to learn. Their accent is just wonderful to listen to. When I was young, my little sister and I wanted to create our own language but we soon realised it was too difficult. Instead we invented this game where we speak in "fake-russian", using beautiful-sounding words that don't exist. It's one of my favorite game but the problem is that when we play too long, we often start arguing and fighting even though we don't understand what we are talking about.

I also studied sign language for one year and I was able to have a basic conversation but now the only thing I remember is "I know sign language". How ironic. <_<

Lilyfloss! That Swedish you wrote in the other thread was correct =) It's always nice to hear that someone likes learning your language, and I often marvel at the fact that I speak a language completely effortlessly that other people don't understand, and that they speak another language that I don't even hear where a word starts or were it ends. It's a fascinating thing, learning languages... That you can understand some of it after a few months studying it and that you couldn't before... It just hits me sometimes.

I've gotten a little lazy learning though. I speak Swedish, English, some French and some sign language. I'm more interested in learning more French and sign language than I am starting with a whole new language. I feel like I can be understood in many parts of the world. I should learn Spanish though, it's useful, but it just doesn't interest me that much. I'd like Italian more, but then I can only be understood in one more country and not all of South America :P Though I realize I would probably have trouble with all the dialects of Spanish if I ever learned and went over there. Maybe some Asian language would be fun.

I'm really into Russian too! My family knows it, and I once got this.. educational CD for Russian for Christmas :D I never really got round to actually learning it but I just know some expressions. Like for example, I know how to say "You're beautiful" in Russian, and I always thought that if I could talk to Regina I would tell her that in Russian. :)