PerksOfAWallflower

language nerds !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

see andreseng has such a big pride in being a new yorker he may not know what the outside is like.

Welcome back! I lived in Colorado for 16 years too! Razzer

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

oh...yes but you cant deny feeling a large amount of prid for being a new yorker. i know kari is... hehe... you'd think that new york was like the only place you can be.

Oh no, I take pride in that, no doubt. But I wanted you to know that I know what the "outside" is like!! Cool

Funny habit # 1...when you know more than one language from a common source, sometimes you mix them...like in spelling for sure and sometimes in speech with a c sound instead of a as sound...different languages with slight differences...I mix them sometimes...lol...the only other thing is getting used to thai and turkish...yeah I multi-task and get very bored with english and the young American culture...imagine that!

I LOVE THE FACT.... that my bad language habits apply to both language.... and i suppose if i learn anymore i will have the same problem..

if two ideas are conected in my mind sometimes i mix them and they come out one word. so heres an exmple from both languages.

eating lunch with my friend and she is picking the radishes out of her salad. "why are you picking the radishes out of your salad, do you not like ralads.." haha.

talking about going to france to my french friends, talking about the D-day beaches (plage= beach, sable= sand) "ouais, j'ai ete a les sages de Normandie" in fact saying " yea, i've been to the wise old men of normandy"

im a dork. the end.

Nerdy comment: I thought "sage" meant well-behaved in French and wise old man in English.

I can remember it from a textbook story about a education inspector coming to a school. "The teacher told us to behave but we didn't understand 'cause we were always well-behaved (nous sommes toujours sage)"

so you actually said "I've been to the well-behaved of Normandy" Wink

well.. this is confusing but... ill just type in exactly how it says it in the dictionary.

sage-1 adj wise;enfant good. 1 noun masc. sage, wise man.

so... if it is an adjective being used for a child it means good or well-behaved. but used as a noun it can mean age/wise man.

didnt wanna get all technical but... what can ya do?