Sign in to follow this  
PerksOfAWallflower

foreign singer kinda like regina..

Hey Perks,

I finally got on your bandwagon. I was surfing YouTube last night and remembered your fondness for Camille, so I checked her out. I loved all the songs and the videos!!! She's funny and intense and sooo French. (I lived in France for a year long ago.)

So, thanks for the recommendation!! Too bad it took me 8 months to follow up, but better late than never. Smiler

@ mooebon- no problem! i love camille so much! supposedly she is the shit in france. and yes she is so french, so avante-garde french. i got into her because she makes those cute noises like regina does. and her songs are sometimmes deep and sometimes funny, and sometimes narrative which reminds me of regina.

thanks for trying out something i recommended! im glad you like her.

WOW ! what was living in france like? did you know french before moving there? was the language barrier a big problem? did you meet lots of cool people and talk about existentialism in cafes while it rained?

(that last one is my dream..its a very specific question Smiler lol)

Perks,

I went to a French school in 12th grade. I had studied French from 7th grade on, but I still felt like I knew nothing when I got there. By Christmas, I felt like I could understand everything, and by the end of the school year, I could speak pretty comfortably.

I did not meet any existentialists, lol, but the kids were cool. Cool I lived in a dorm that was locked at night, so we could not get out. But once , my friend and I jumped out the window and went to the village where we caught a bus to the city (St. Etienne). We had a great day, then snuck back into study hall. No one noticed!

I remember breakfast was hot milk, hot chocolate, and coffee in big pitchers that we poured into glass bowls to drink from. Also oatmeal and baguettes with jam and butter.

There was a giant machine in the dining hall into which you could put a baguette, and it would come flying out the other side all sliced. EVERYONE smoked cigarettes. One spring day the students went on strike for no reason, and sat out in the sun all day....

I remember in biology class we dissected a ver de terre (earthworm).

I have forgotten a lot of French, but I think it would revient if I went back. There are certain expressions that I still, to this day, think of in French first. Have you been there, Perks? You should definitely plan to live there for awhile. Junior year abroad??

PS I could not resist buying Au Port and Ta Douleur this morning and loading them onto my ipod before I went jogging. Man, that is great running music. I think I went a lot faster than usual... Wink

What others do you like? I guess I should just have bought the album, Le Fil, huh?

Hi Smiler I'm so glad to see that lot of people here appreciate Camille ! You're right : that is a great french artist and there are similarities with Regina. The intersection of their artistic universes is not empty, that's true !

The comparisons that PerksOfAWallflower mentionned are very interesting Smiler

Their texts are powerfull and give us a lot to think. Both are great artists. Cheers !

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

What others do you like? I guess I should just have bought the album, Le Fil, huh?

Mooebon, maybe you can try "Les ex", which is very funny (the subject is ex girlfriends and jalousy).

You can listen to it here Smiler (a song from her first album "Le sac des filles").

If you want to discover Camille's abilities, I suggest you to check this live recording on french radio. Her gigs are amazing ! She's so extraordinary on stage ! Smiler You can also check this great website. There is an english speaking section. Don't hesitate to come to discover Camille and talk about her music.

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

There are certain expressions that I still, to this day, think of in French first. Have you been there, Perks? You should definitely plan to live there for awhile. Junior year abroad??

that is so funny. it happens to me too! especially je ne comprends pas, and j'sais pas. because i use them more in french than english. which french saying do you still use most?

i went to france this past summer. at that point i had passed french 4 with an A, but when i got there i felt like i knew nothing. this is my 5th year, and i plan on majoring in it in college. i would LOVE to study broad, and think that i will pretty much definatly do that! my french teacher went to college a few years in Nantes and loved it, so i think i will try it! as long as its not extremely expensive it will be cool. its been my dream ever since my first year of french (8th grade) to speak french fluently.

p.s. i love your franglish <3 i love to do that with my french class friends. hahaha.