Sign in to follow this  
PerksOfAWallflower

foreign singer kinda like regina..

@ mooebon- i have no idea what has currently replaced c'est extra, but ive never heard my french teacher say it, so maybe it is way demodee.

@ morricone- huh?

**funny french anecdote- while watching amelie they didnt reallye explain something too clearly so my friend and i looked at eachother and in exact unison she said "avec qui?" and i said "with who?" it was SO freaky. i wish i couldve gotten it on tape, it was so synchronized. ive got so many french stories where ive messed up some phrase and made it non-sensical. like (translated) "look at that garbage can resting in the tree over there!" haha. i'd mixed up the word for trashcan (une corbeille) and black bird (un corbeau). it was hilarious, but a teensy bit embarrassing.

quote:
It's very exciting to acquire that, so merci beaucoup for sharing it with us. Smiler

You're welcome. Thank you for speaking french ! Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

@ mooebon- i have no idea what has currently replaced c'est extra, but ive never heard my french teacher say it, so maybe it is way demodee.

You're right. Saying "c'est extra" is a little old fashioned. But saying "c'est chouette" is not : it is a cute expression and many french people use it nowadays ! Smiler

There is not only one expression that has replaced "c'est extra" but many expressions. It depends on the context and on the social level of the person... Many people say "c'est excellent", but you can also say "c'est top", "c'est super", "c'est génial", "c'est trop fort" or... "ça déchire sa race" Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Spektology:

You're right. Saying "c'est extra" is a little old fashioned. But saying "c'est chouette" is not : it is a cute expression and many french people use it nowadays ! Smiler

There is not only one expression that has replaced "c'est extra" but many expressions. It depends on the context and on the social level of the person... Many people say "c'est excellent", but you can also say "c'est top", "c'est super", "c'est génial", "c'est trop fort" or... "ça déchire sa race" Big Grin

That's so interesting!!! The did used to say "c'est cuper" and "c'est genial" even way back when I was there.

Ohhhh, I want to go back RIGHT NOW!!

quote:
ive got so many french stories where ive messed up some phrase and made it non-sensical. like (translated) "look at that garbage can resting in the tree over there!" haha. i'd mixed up the word for trashcan (une corbeille) and black bird (un corbeau). it was hilarious, but a teensy bit embarrassing.

LOL!!! Probably the most embarrassing thing that happened to me in France was my arrival the first day. It had nothing to do with speaking French. My mom had made me wear this awful beige knit pants suit on the plane (in those days people got dressed up to fly; I flew over alone and should have changed after I got on the plane--don't know why I didn't). When I arrived at the school, all the French kids were sitting around in exquisitely faded and torn jeans, peasant shirts, and other hip (for that era) apparel, while I looked and felt like the dorkiest 17 year old on the planet. Roll Eyes Heureusement, they didn't hold it against me in the long run. Smiler

I'm happy that you enjoy this gig Smiler

Don't hesitate if you want me to (try to) translate something or explain you the subjects of the songs. (I'm afraid that my english will probably be too poor for detailed explainations, but I hope that I will be able to make a summary)

The main subject in Camille's songs is definitely me-ology, but she's also interested in love-ology, you-ology, I'm sorry-ology and even in porcupine-ology Wink

i kinda like trying to sing along with her. lol i make up mah own lyrics. Razzer there were a few regina songs where i had no clue what she was saying, so i would just make things up. she does, however, make me want to learn french badly.

my friend introduced camille to me about 7 months ago! shes awesome. i had to learn all the words to ta doleur and au port even though i speak like 5 words in french! ha

another awesome french artist, at least i think so, is olivia ruiz. im addicted to la femme chocolat, and j'traine des Pieds. check her out

Sugardrive, what you say is funny Smiler and I think you're right. That's an advantage with Camille's songs : you can make your own lyrics ! Even french people don't always agree about what she says in the lyrics. I think it is intentional. So one can imagine what he wants and doesn't hear the same thing when one listen to the song again and again. So the song keeps beeing attractive for a long long time. Camille seems to be very interested in the question of ambiguity in the language. That's the main theme in Janine I, II, III and in her Tom tom club cover (Wordy rappinghood). It reminds me a little bit Regina's Consequence of sounds theme (but I think that Regina's point of view is far more subtle than Camille's one).

Chanvb09, I agree with you. Olivia Ruiz is definitively worth to listen. She's very energic on stage and her songs are cute. You can watch her "La femme chocolat" video here and her "J'traine des pieds" one here.

But of course there is no comparaison possible with Camille's artistic universe, which is far more interesting (at least to me) and even less comparaison possible with Regina's one, which is definitely one of the richest and the most subtle that I've ever met.

i agree. i love camilles willingness to play with words. i love 1,2,3 for that reason. and all the janines like you said. it keeps you guessing with words that sound very similar. using deux and de, and trois, and toi. also in un homme desertee she plays with une ame and un homme very similar sounding. also les ex has alot of word play.

<3

OK, Spektology, if you are willing...I am wondering how to translate the following. In some cases, I have an idea but think there's an idiom I don't get. I put the words that confuse me in bold.

FROM AU PORT

"tu as beau avoir pied tu coules au port"

"il t'aurait fallu des epaules du corps"

"on est jamais deux a partir" (something like "two for the road"?)

"suis l'Au-delà si tu le trouves/le ramène pas au cardinal pour qu'il te l'ouvre encore"

FROM LA DOULEUR

" La virer de la recree"

"Dans l'eau tiède de tes reins ? "

" Dites moi que fout la science "

"Le beurre ou l'argent du beurre " (the butter or the butter money??)

"Ou qu'elle change de godasses "