Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PerksOfAWallflower

foreign singer kinda like regina..

75 posts in this topic

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

it keeps you guessing with words that sound very similar. using deux and de, and trois, and toi. also in un homme desertee she plays with une ame and un homme very similar sounding. also les ex has alot of word play.

<3

PerksOfAWallflower you're definitely right : there is a lot of word play and they are sometimes well hidden.

For example "Pourquoi tu m'appelles Ardèche alors que j'm'appelle corrèse ?" Ardèche and Corrèze are both french departments... but you can also hear "Pourquoi tu m'appelles art dèche ("bad art") alors que j'm'appelle corps aise (something like "well feeling in my body") ?".

Another subtle example in the song Lumière (this song is part of the radio-gig) :

Le jour n'existait pas et l'on ignorait l'or,

Le monde était un puits, sombre, tel l'eau qui dort

Une femme épuisée, sur les flancs de la ville,

Accoucha d'un garçon. Mais que faire de ce fil ?

Soudain elle refusa qu'il fût simple mortel

qu'il vive dans le noir, comme moi,

comme vous, comme elle.

Au milieu du ciel, elle suspendit son fils.

L'homme sans ombre est né.

L'homme sans ombre est triste

Instead of "Mais que faire de ce fil (wire) ?", one would be waiting for "Mais que faire de ce fils (son) ?". But maybe she wants to refer to the wire between a mother and her child (in a litteral or metaphoric meaning).

And the same word play occurs later (but upside down) with "elle suspendit son fils." That means something like "she hanged her son (in the sky)" but there is a french idiom "le temps suspend son fil" that means "time stops".

I find that this word play is particularly elegant. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

OK, Spektology, if you are willing...I am wondering how to translate the following. In some cases, I have an idea but think there's an idiom I don't get. I put the words that confuse me in bold.

Mooebon, that's so interesting ! You pointed to the most subtle sentences ! You're right, there is a lot of idioms.

quote:

FROM AU PORT

The main theme in this song (one can listen to it here ) seems to be the difficulty to travel from the children's world to the adults's one. Another theme is the theme of "huge lover" ("amant monument"), which one can find in Regina's "Ain't no cover".

quote:

"tu as beau avoir pied tu coules au port"

"Avoir pied" means to be tall enough to touch the sea floor with your feets. However, the girl is drowning... Maybe Camille wants to mean that this girl (probably herself) is now adult in her body but not in her mind.

quote:

"il t'aurait fallu des epaules du corps"

"Avoir des épaules" means to be strong. Camille wants probably to explain that this girl is not strong enough to cross the sea between child's age and adult's age.

quote:

"on est jamais deux a partir" (something like "two for the road"?)

That means probably something like "In a couple, there's always one person who quits and one which is abandonned"

quote:

"suis l'Au-delà si tu le trouves/le ramène pas au cardinal pour qu'il te l'ouvre encore"

I think that this sentence is the most difficult in the song... "L'au-delà" is the world that exists (or not, it depends on your faith) after the death. A cardinal is a "Priest-boss" (I don't know the world in english). So maybe "Ouvrir l'au delà" means commit suicide ? That's a very dark interpretation and one can choose another... Maybe this girl (petite "nonne" : a very religious woman) is lost in her faith and her thoughts. It also reminds me of the myth of the pandora's box... Then it could symbolize (like the myth of the snake and the apple) women's culpability in the jewish-christian tradition.

quote:

FROM LA DOULEUR

It's possible to listen to this great song here .

quote:

" La virer de la recree"

It means litterally "to throw the pain out of the playground". The pain seems to play in the person's body and enjoy it. Camille wants her to go out !

quote:

"Dans l'eau tiède de tes reins ? "

The pain seems to be very confortable in the lukewarm water in the person's Kidneys and she doesn't want to go out. What a bastard ! Mad

quote:
" Dites moi que fout la science "

What the hell is doing science !? Why science can't cure this person !?

The next sentence is interesting too : "A quand ce pont entre nos panses ?" ("When will exist a bridge between our bellies ?") When science will be able to transmit pain from a person to another (Camille wants to take it to cure the other person) ? But one can hear "A quand ce pont entre nos pensées" too ("When will exist a bridge between our thoughts ?") Since she can't act concretely, Camille is begining to hope that maybe her mind (or her song) can make something for the person who is suffering...)

quote:
"Le beurre ou l'argent du beurre " (the butter or the butter money??)

That's a french idiom. It is the french equivalent of the "Have a cake and eat two" english one... Some rude people add sometimes "Le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le cul de la fermière " Big Grin

Maybe the pain is a sort of cancer. So it wants the person to suffer but it wants her (or him) to keep alive too (if the person disappear, the pain will disappear too), so she wants to have a cake and eat two.

quote:
"Ou qu'elle change de godasses "

Godasses is just a rude word for "chaussures" (shoes).

I apologize for my bad english. I hope that my sentences make sens but i'm affraid that some of them don't. Tell me about it and I will try to correct them Smiler

Emmerrrrrrr likes this

Thanks sooo much!!! You really cleared some things up for me. Some of these I had basically understood the gist of, but others I was completely wrong about.

For ex, I really didn't get "avoir pied" or "la virer la recree"

That's interesting about panses/pensees.

You did more than translate. Your comments help clarify the themes/symbolism of the songs as well. Very helpful!!

MERCI!!!! Big Grin

Perks, awesome find thank you so much! I love Au port, and i keep making up my own words for it which make no sense at allBig Grin E.g.

Petit fil avec votre doigt dans votre bouche!, laissez-moi seul parce je me douche, Au port.....

yeh her lyrics are way betterWink

Hey, Spektology! I finally listened to "Les Ex"

and downloaded the radio show (can't wait to try it) and visited the website. While I was there, I saw this:

quote:
'French singer Camille is back this summer with a series of concerts in

Paris. The chosen location is St. Eustache Church, an unusual venue

perhaps, but fitting for a show centred on religion. "The news has

really caught my attention this year. Why is there so much religious

conflict? I'm an atheist and grew up in a secular society, so it's

difficult for me to understand the issues. That's why I wanted, in

between albums, to explore the theme of religion through music in a

joyful and eclectic way: a selection of religious songs from

different religions around the world are first up, followed by

Christmas Carols arranged by Benjamin Britten. If God exists, then God

is sound".

On Britten's composition entitled "A ceremony of Carols", Camille will

be accompanied by Julia Sarr, Indi kaur, Majiker and Sebastien Martel.

Alongside the Britten, Camille is set to perform alone and a capella

a personal creation entitled "God is sound" (The 12 World Prayers).

The concerts are slated for 25, 26, 28 and 29 June. Booking now. '

I would SOOOOO love to hear this Ceremony of Carols and Camille's own song. Do you know if there is a bootleg available anywhere? (Or a legit recording that one could buy?)

Thanks for all the other stuff. Smiler

Thank you mooebon and PerksOfAWallflower, you're welcome Smiler

I will be pleased to give you other explanations if you want me to.

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:

Petit fil avec votre doigt dans votre bouche!, laissez-moi seul parce je me douche, Au port.....

So funny !! Smiler Dominic your lyrics are great ! I like them !

quote:

Hey, Spektology! I finally listened to "Les Ex"

and downloaded the radio show (can't wait to try it) and visited the website.

Mooebon, I hope you will enjoy the gig. It is my favourite one !

quote:

I would SOOOOO love to hear this Ceremony of Carols and Camille's own song. Do you know if there is a bootleg available anywhere? (Or a legit recording that one could buy?)

Yes, the bootleg exists thanks to gogo (a member of the sac des fans Camille's website).

It is not a very high quality recording, but it is pretty good however. I think that gogo won't be bothered if I upload the file so I will do it as soon as I can. Unfortunately, no legit recording exists for the moment and I'm afraid that no one will ever exist.

Here's a good piece of news : Camille's third album will be available on 2008 march Smiler

Here is what we know in France for the moment : She will sing in english (but with chorus in french) and the album will be happier than The fil. There will be many featurings (with Barbatuques, with Jamie Cullum and with other artists...) and many "percussions" (drums, I don't know if this word exists in english).

The name of the album will be "Music Hole". That is a play word with Music hall. Camille wants to symbolize that the album will be at the midpoint between song and something deeper, burried in the floor.

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:

ooooh merci pour les mots aimablesSmiler And i like the sound of the new album, good percussion beats, happy music, jamie callumSmiler

Me too : I think it will be a great album !

(Tu parles bien français ! )

quote:
Originally posted by Spektology:

Yes, the bootleg exists thanks to gogo (a member of the sac des fans Camille's website).

It is not a very high quality recording, but it is pretty good however. I think that gogo won't be bothered if I upload the file so I will do it as soon as I can. Unfortunately, no legit recording exists for the moment and I'm afraid that no one will ever exist.

Here's a good piece of news : Camille's third album will be available on 2008 march Smiler

Ooooh, I am really excited now!! I can't wait to hear the bootleg, and then I have the Music Hole to look forward to. And I haven't even listened to the radio gig yet!! So much music!! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin