Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

Any Arcade Fire fans??

Here are their two recent Saturday Night Live performances. Normally I wouldn't post these here. But this is the "Other" forum and I was really impressed. These are large files as usual and they're DivX encoded. If you need the plug in it is available here. Enjoy Cool

The Arcade Fire - SNL 2007 - Intervention.avi (146.37 MB)

The Arcade Fire - SNL 2007 - Keep The Car Running.avi (123.43 MB)

Here are their two recent Saturday Night Live performances. Normally I wouldn't post these here. But this is the "Other" forum and I was really impressed. These are large files as usual and they're DivX encoded. If you need the plug in it is available here. Enjoy Cool

The Arcade Fire - SNL 2007 - Intervention.avi (146.37 MB)

The Arcade Fire - SNL 2007 - Keep The Car Running.avi (123.43 MB)

Thanks, andreseng!

Cool band. My only problem is breaking the guitar at the end. Personally, I find crashing instruments for no reason a little bit Barbaric.

After all, they are not Jimmy Hendrics yet.

Oh, I totally agree. That threw me at first. I read a blog after:

quote:
What was written in tape on the guitar? ...that he ultimately smashed."

It said: SAK VIDE PA KANPE

It's a popular Haitian proverb which literally translates to "an empty sack cannot stand up." Meaning, hungry people can't work.

It seems like it's used in alot of different contexts: worker solidarity and unionizing, school meal programs for children, and to raise awareness about the health crisis and starvation which currently plagues Haiti. (This makes sense considering the band's advocacy for Partners in Health.) So I guess by smashing the guitar, he was symbolically attacking poverty/hunger/disease?

I have to say, it always pains me to see instruments destroyed, no matter what the reason.

I couldn't agree more*.

I'm glad you enjoyed it otherwise. Régine Chassagne is really something else. Is there an instrument she can't play?

*Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townsend excluded!

sweeeet...I love Arcade Fire! I love the "antichrist television blues" song aka "I don't want to work in a building downtown..." SOOO GOOD. And "Black Mirror"! aww, I love the part "une deux trois la mirror est noir!" or something like that...

Obviously AF rules, but...

Yeah there's a but. The new album hasn't grabbed me yet. This past year has seen the release of LOADS of follow-up albums to bands that I love, and I have to say that most of them are not as pleasing to me as the previous efforts. So i guess it's been a year of high expectation, but the payoff hasn't been there. I'm still trying to feel 'Neon Bible' though.

I just got the 'String Quartet Tribute to Funeral', which I have to say is a great listen. Probably as good as the 'Strung out on OK Computer' album, which is saying a lot.