chatreuse rhinocerous

What are you listening to right now?

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

I think Lana Del Rey (real name: Elizabeth Grant and daughter of a millionaire) may turn out to be a flash in the pan. She's very manufactured, right down to her stage name, which was chosen by a marketing team. Her performance on Later... with Jools Holland was subpar. Her album 'Born to Die' is coming out January 31, 2012. I guess we'll be getting acquainted with her more soon.

I kind of agree with you...I don't like to try to predict things like that, but I find Lana Del Rey so underwhelming. In August I downloaded "Video Games" and listened to it all the time, which was confusing even to me at the time because the song is not exciting to me, and I'm not talking about how slow it is because I have nothing against slow songs. A lot of people seem to love her, but her music and voice just do nothing for me. I am genuinely confused as to why people like her so much. If anyone would like to explain her appeal, please go for it...

Regarding Lana, I actually enjoy her music quite a bit. Her songs (all of which she writes on her own) are a lot better than most of what's out there masquerading as music nowadays. Her stage name may have been chosen by her management, but if you're able to look past the image and the botox lips/cosmetic surgeries (it's the one thing I dislike about her the most because it was unnecessary), this girl actually has real talent and serious potential. A lot of people realize this, and that's why she has and will continue to blow up. Her recent SNL performance was admittedly atrocious, but I think she just had a bad night vocally because I've seen videos of her performing live and they were quite decent.

Another artist I've been listening to a lot is http://www.youtube.com/artist/Birdy Birdy, who released an album of cover songs (I think she has 1 original song on the album) last year. This girl is only 16 and her voice is incredible.

I'm probably (more than) a little late in joining in the Lana Del Rey conversation, but Video Games is a song that keeps on genuinely perplexing me. The first time I heard it it was on the radio and I only caught the last twenty-or-so seconds, but those seconds really got me interested. I looked up the whole song and I kind of liked it. I still do, kind of. I love the background with the harp and the piano and the strings and all, and the melody has some really nice bits, but then there are bits that aren't that interesting. The text isn't that interesting either, at least not for me. I guess for me the biggest problem about the song is Lana (or Lizzy, or whoever she is) herself. She definitely has talent and her voice has a certain uniqueness (is that a word? Big Grin) to it, but her manner of singing is so lazy! She sounds and looks bored, mostly, and that annoys me. And even though I definitely don't want to judge a book by its covers, I was a little disappointed to find out that the face behind the voice is this... fake. And still I listen to the song! It's confusing and I'm quite disturbed by the fact that I seem to be this unable to figure out Video Games or the woman behind it.

Sorry for the double post, but I'm listening to Long Brown Hair... I really only just discovered this song, and oh my god, I love it. I wasn't that crazy about the bass at first, but I really love how it's used in this song. GUH, this is why I saved some songs for later; I knew I'd find gems, and it'd make me really happy! Big Grin