chatreuse rhinocerous

What are you listening to right now?

Hey Raph! I actually meant to reply to your first post. I listened to No Dice, just curious about it, and i really liked it! It's so catchy, and i like the layers.

And, Long Brown Hair is a beastly song. It's really intersting to read interpretations of it-- people differ on whether the narator is a man or woman, and naturally lots of variety arises in understanding it from there. Personally, i think she might have written it as both, if that makes sense.

Anyway, it's generally just a cool song sonically, and an added bonus is fascinating discussion about its meaning/implication. I'm glad you like it! Smiler

Currently listening... To my professor ramble about assignments. He probably knows i'm not taking notes.. But it's friday and no one cares. lol

Yeah, all the interpretations are really interesting! I personally think I see the rape scenario in that song more than the other interpretations, but as always, who knows, lol.

Also, I only recently discovered the song No Dice, but I really, really love it! Did you listen to any other songs off that album or anything else by Beirut in general?

I had never listened to anything by Beirut but decided to have a try after seeing the name crop up here so often. I've spent the week listening to The Rip Tide album and it's beautiful.

What should my next stops be in the back catalog?

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

Currently listening to Ingrid Michaelson's new album, 'Human Again' (released 1/24) and Elizaveta's major label debut, 'Beatrix Runs' (also released 1/24). These two ladies are currently being featured on the homepage of iTunes!

Both excellent choices. <3 I would love for Elizaveta to get some recognition.

quote:
Originally posted by thefinalfling:

I had never listened to anything by Beirut but decided to have a try after seeing the name crop up here so often. I've spent the week listening to The Rip Tide album and it's beautiful.

I'm glad to hear it! Big Grin I love them so much... They're a very recent love, but they got to the top of my favorites incredibly fast, almost as fast as Regina.

As for the next on the list, I highly recommend all of their albums, lol, but they only have four albums anyway. My favorite personally is The Flying Club Cup, but since you started with The Rip Tide, you might want to try out March Of The Zapotec & The Real People Holland. If you use Spotify, a couple of their singles and EPs are available as well. Smiler

I've been meaning to listen to more of Beirut ever since I heard this wonderful song by them

I think I will finally get around to listening to more Beirut. I've been hearing good things Smiler

I think maybe you guys will enjoy this cover by Florence (from Florence and the machine)

Plus a random other song by her that I really really like...

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

quote:
Originally posted by thefinalfling:

I'm glad to hear it! Big Grin I love them so much... They're a very recent love, but they got to the top of my favorites incredibly fast, almost as fast as Regina.

As for the next on the list, I highly recommend all of their albums, lol, but they only have four albums anyway. My favorite personally is The Flying Club Cup, but since you started with The Rip Tide, you might want to try out March Of The Zapotec & The Real People Holland. If you use Spotify, a couple of their singles and EPs are available as well. Smiler

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll try The Flying Club Cup next, once I've given The Rip Tide another couple of weeks full time!

I'm a Spotify user addict. I just checked and they seem to have most of the albums and EPs on there (the UK version anyway, if there are indeed different versions of Spotify?)

quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll try The Flying Club Cup next, once I've given The Rip Tide another couple of weeks full time!

Lol, definitely! The Rip Tide is pretty good and edible, haha.

quote:
I'm a Spotify user addict. I just checked and they seem to have most of the albums and EPs on there (the UK version anyway, if there are indeed different versions of Spotify?)

Aye, I'm a Spotify addict, too. I really think streaming is "the way of the future". Not to sound cliched or anything.

I'm also not sure if they have different versions, but I think if someone specifies, or if the label requires it, specific albums won't show up; I'm pretty sure the Doctor Who soundtracks are on Spotify, for example, but the earlier ones aren't available for the US. Even on iTunes it's unavailable.

Anyway, I don't see why Beirut'd limit their albums in the UK, so I think you'll be set. Big Grin

*cough*Gulag Orkestar is my second favorite *cough*