Sign in to follow this  
Slimjimmy

San Diego Show

Just came home from the SD show. I am a new convert to Regina, having picked up Begin to Hope just about 6 months ago and just buying Soviet Kitsch two weeks ago. I had seen her on Letterman and online from Coachella, but I was a Regina newbie, having never seen her live.

Well all I can say is: WOW!! I didn't expect just her and a baby grand, and the songs sounded even better with just her on piano. Her piano skills and vocal skills blew me and the rest of the crowd away!! I hope she considers putting out a live DVD of this tour, so more people can see what they're missing out on.

I should have written the set list down, but I'm sure someone will post it, as I wasn't sure if some songs were new, or I've never heard. If any Regina fans know the set list, write here, I would appreciate it.

Once again, terrific show.

P.S. - Her version of "Real Love" was fantastic. I hope this is released someday, as it outdoes BOTH the Beatles AND Lennon's demo version.

Just came home from the SD show. I am a new convert to Regina, having picked up Begin to Hope just about 6 months ago and just buying Soviet Kitsch two weeks ago. I had seen her on Letterman and online from Coachella, but I was a Regina newbie, having never seen her live.

Well all I can say is: WOW!! I didn't expect just her and a baby grand, and the songs sounded even better with just her on piano. Her piano skills and vocal skills blew me and the rest of the crowd away!! I hope she considers putting out a live DVD of this tour, so more people can see what they're missing out on.

I should have written the set list down, but I'm sure someone will post it, as I wasn't sure if some songs were new, or I've never heard. If any Regina fans know the set list, write here, I would appreciate it.

Once again, terrific show.

P.S. - Her version of "Real Love" was fantastic. I hope this is released someday, as it outdoes BOTH the Beatles AND Lennon's demo version.

I just got back from the San Diego show too and feel lucky to have seen and heard her at her best. I've seen a lot of YouTube videos and heard a lot of show tapes, but tonight she was so energized and loose that her voice was fuller and more mellifluous. House of Blues doesn't allow cameras, but every fifth person had a cell phone lifted above the heads to take mpeg videos. Her version of the posthumous Lennon song indeed outdid the Beatles'. She made it her own, adding different classical sounding inversions of the opening chords. Her crowd control technique for expressing disapproval at noisy yahoos at the lip of the stage was to suddenly turn to them and stare blankly, quite a stark contrast to the usual gracious smile. It always shut them up for at least another song. "The Wallet" had been a song I never listened to before, so it was a real treat to see one of the story songs done so well. Regina is such a gift of original talent and intelligence to the pop music world that her mere presence on the charts will probably force others to evolve further up from their cool and trendy depths.

It WAS amazing last night.

That was not only the best Regina show I've been to, but probably the best show I've ever been to.

I feel so lucky to have been a part of it.

I'll try to put up the set list, but it's not gonna be in order:

Ain't No Cover

On The Radio

Prisoners

Baby Jesus

The Flowers

Fidelity

Bobbing For Apples

That Time

The Wallet

Human Of The Year

Better

Field Below

Apres Moi

Ghost of Corporate Future

Poor Little Rich Boy

Music Box

Encore:

Real Love (John Lennon cover)

Hotel song w/ Only Son beatboxing!

Samson

I probably forgot a song or two...cause I was just so into it.

She was perfect. There was this one really rude girl on a bad combination of drink and drugs who kept shouting out things during the really quiet parts of Regina's set...I wanted to punch her in the face. People on the farther left side of the stage said Regina gave her dirty looks, but I could only see Regina's glittery eyebrows and forehead from where I was standing Frowner

But I could see her perfectly when she was on the Guitar - I was standing in the front row in the very center...

Oh and to correct slimjimmy, she was playing a GRAND piano, not a baby grand - hehe, that piano was bigger than Regina! And a steinway at that, that's what she deserves!

Only Son was better last night than he was in L.A. last November...he had a band with him then, but he has more POP and charm on his own with the iPod.

Back to Regina...this was my mom's first time seeing her and she was always a so-so Regina fan, after she walked out, she's converted! Hahha, after she heard Regina sing "Human of The Year" she was like "Oh my god, that woman can sing!" I said...."DUH!"

My favorite songs of the night was "Human of The Year", "MUSIC BOX"!!!, and for some reason "Ain't No Cover", we always hear this song and we know it inside and out but I LOVE the way she sings it. Her confidence, body movements and facial expressions enthrall me. She's too good to be true. I look up to her SO much as a musician and I strive to be that kind of performer.

I have to say though. I HATE THE HOUSE OF BLUES.

The fact that they have a policy where if you buy dinner you get to go in front of the people in the regular line to get in. Of course, I didn't have money to buy dinner, and I got there at 11:45AM...waiting in line...in the cold...and people who could afford to eat got to cut in front of me, and they got there 2 hours before doors opened...tops.

That is so unfair. I hate them.

Well, I was in the San-Diego show myself last night.

The last time I enjoyed a concert so much was in 1995Smiler (Neil Young with Pearl Jam as his bandSmiler)

does any body have videos of yesterday?

I would definitely want to hear "The Wallet" again. Never heard of it before yesterday.

What a pleasant discovery for a live performanceSmiler

Wow, so many assholes at the San Diego show. At my fifth Regina show and my first in my home city, I was disappointed to witness the worst crowd ever. I thought that the show being 21+ would eliminate some of the younger and (so I previously thought) more annoying variety of Regina fans. But now I think that maybe I was unfair to the kids...I definitely don't prefer the adults' drunk displays of disrespect and disregard for the music and for Regina (that sentence was AWESOME). People having full-on, top-volume conversations in the middle of quiet songs. Not to mention shouting ridiculous bullshit at inappropriate times. And my boyfriend had someone spit their drink on his back (not on purpose but out of loss of control of body functions)...at least it wasn't puke. Anyhow, it just seemed like a lot of people who were there didn't really care. There are cheaper places to drink, you know.

That said, Regina was of course incredible, and I was very happy to be there despite the distracions. I am short, so any attempt to enjoy the show from the floor is thwarted by other people's heads and of course, the huge piano! So we wisely moved back and got a good spot on the steps... I was farther away but it was really worth it to have a clear view!

Human of the Year. I have never heard her sing it like that. Wow. It was incredible...the highlight for me.

And the Wallet? First time hearing it! It made me happy because she can take a pretty ordinary event like finding and returning someone's wallet and make it touching. I like how she has the ability to show humanity and authenticity of experience in supposedly mundane events. It makes me feel like our lives are not mundane at all.

Luckily, I'm tall, 5'11", and don't mind GA shows. I've found the best way to get away from those types is too wiggle my way as close to the stage as possible, then never leave for drinks or to use the restroom. Most of the talkative, rude, drunk, noisy idiot types tend to either hang closer to the back, making it easier to get to the beer line or bathroom.

If I had a dollar for every asshole that I wanted to pummle at concerts Mad