Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

Covers that truly changed the original

Grew up a massive Zep fan, remember being heartbroken over all the lawsuits by Muddy Waters' original songwriter (what was his name?)in the 1980's, exposing Zeppelin as a fantistic blues "cover" band. But as with so many covers, they often far exceed the original.

quote:
Joan Baez didn't do the original Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

Yeah, my mistake, that song is credited to a lot of people. Anne Bredon, I believe wrote it, but didn't perform it much. Joan Baez started playing it, which is where Page heard it and started playing it with Zeppelin.

I recently remembered the first Dutch Rock 'n Roll single (late 1950's), which actually seems to be an adaptation of Little Richards "Lucille", called "kom van dat dak af!" (get off that roof!*) by Peter Koelewijn. Sing this along to Lucille and ye know what I mean:

Kom van dat dak af

(Get off that roof now)

Ik waarschuw niet meer

(won't warn you no more)

Kom van dat dak af

Ik waarschuw niet meer

Kom van dat dak af

Het was the laatste keer

(it's the last time I ask)

Yeah it doesn't rhyme as good in English Razzer

- It's about someones wife who used to be a rope dancer and climbs the roof to do her thing... the guy gets upset 'cause dinner is getting cold.

My favourite cover song that really "changed" the original would be Aretha Franklin's cover of Respect, of course!

I also love The Damned's cover of Help! by The Beatles.

Here's a thought.

Layla - Derek and the Dominos

vs.

Layla - Eric Clapton Unplugged

I know Eric was with the band Derek and the Dominos, but can't you cover yourself? The two versions are so diverse. One is a hard pounding ballad. The other a laid back wonder.

i am removing the post that used to be here because it caused the commentor below to trash the righteous bros. most amazing song.... "unchained melody".

and even though i stand by my beliefs....if it causes this kind of mudslinging,,,,i must remove my post

i really like some local bands that cover music.... theres was one Davey Jones Locker(since deceased band) that sang Lake of Fire (ive only heard nirvan;s version and don't know if theyre the original singers) amazingly awesome, and then this band called the dinosaurs that did Clapton's Cocaine pretty much making it their own.