Sign in to follow this  
Toots

musing

This afternoon, for the first time in a long, long while, I listened to Regina. Songs, Soviet Kitsch, and the Demos blared, the sun flared, and I forgot my cares, as I remembered just how great Regina could be.

Her last album, I'm afraid, was poor. And some the more 'overly-effusive' fans have put me off her concerts of late. But this isn't the whingeing of an old fan, maligning her change in artistic direction. I just don't like her latest style, but I think she'll come good again, sooner or later. I guess I'm just telling the ether that I'm waiting for 'ginka to sweep me off my feet again.

This afternoon, for the first time in a long, long while, I listened to Regina. Songs, Soviet Kitsch, and the Demos blared, the sun flared, and I forgot my cares, as I remembered just how great Regina could be.

Her last album, I'm afraid, was poor. And some the more 'overly-effusive' fans have put me off her concerts of late. But this isn't the whingeing of an old fan, maligning her change in artistic direction. I just don't like her latest style, but I think she'll come good again, sooner or later. I guess I'm just telling the ether that I'm waiting for 'ginka to sweep me off my feet again.

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion, but I think you should really give Begin To Hope more of a chance. I'm not one to gush endlessly over something, just because I like the artist, but I think BTH will grow on you if you give it a chance. Sure, it's more produced, well yeah, she actually had money the make a RECORD this time. The sound is lush, but not overly layered, her voice is clear, but not altered, and the song selection displays a vast array of originality. Many of us here have been down this road before, but I still stand by my belief that this is a fantastic album. It has great flow, I rarely listen without playing the whole work, or skip songs. It's got really good reviews too, from some pretty rough publications, Blender included.

That said, I will bet her next one will be even better! She has a HUGE collection of tunes in reserve.

Now there's a blast from the past. I haven't seen you since the Geogaddi days.

On one hand I empathize with you about BTH. I understand what you mean and know what you are looking for. BTH's production shocked me at first. Time did wonders for me.

On the other hand we can't condemn that entire album by any means. Besides, much of the material are songs you know from her not too distant past. Granted some are produced. But have you heard all the bonus tracks?

Another Town

Uh-merica

Baobabs

Dusseldorf

Music Box

Hero

Bartender

These are all fine examples of reg's work. Well, with the exception of the way too canned "UH" in Uh-merica.

As far as more 'overly-effusive' fans at her concerts, again I empathize. It is quite different than seeing her 2 or more years ago. I have been to a show or two where I wasn't sure if I was there to see reg or the girl or guy next to me that was drowning her out with loud off-key singing and yelling out Samson during every quiet moment. But I digress. This, unfortunately is directly related to the change in artistic direction.

But don't forget 'ginka's got to eat.

Anyway, welcome back and how's the traffic cone guy in the tube doing? Has he kept his artistic direction?

I think Begin To Hope is her best album to date. But Songs is perhaps her most impressive. Soviet Kitsch is the one I'd say is kinda weak. I mean, it's an amazing album but the songs and their topics seem pretty plain to me personally.

GOD do I wish I could hear these "demos"...

i think each album has a certain aspect that is amazing,

11:11- its jazzy beats are wonderful, and with meaningful narrations like Braille,and Buildings and crazy songs like Pavlovs Daughter, and Love Affair. then theres the wonderful reginaness of the literature woven into songs like 2.99 cent blues, and marry ann...its just great.

Songs- sheer crazyness... wonderful and whimsical. to me this is the album which showcases her voice. i love the addition of greek mythology in Oedipus, and Lacrimosa. plus the lyrical ecstasy of Daniel Cowman, Lounge and Prisoners.....simply magnificent

Bull Moose- short but chock full of emotion in Aint no cover and My man, and then again witht he intellect that hits you in Pound of Flesh...

Soviet Kitsch- this album is so awesome because it s different and shocking in ways her other albums werent. its the harsher side of regina i think. but again with the great imagery and playful stories in Chemo Limo, Us, Ghost of Corp. Sailor song. this album was big on telling random stories which is fun. i think flowers on this album is breathtaking, and lets not forget the display of talent in PLRB.

Begin to hope- is beautiful CD. i think she took some of each of these albums and tucked it in with better production. theres still literary influences with Baobabs, and Samson. but she talks about serious stuff in Uhmerica. and you see a little of 11:11 with lady. also theres a great tribute to some of her fav artists in Edit, and lady. Soviet Kitsch comes out in That Time. and her playfuness is great in Hotel Song and On the Radio. i love this album. it is so genius.

that is my little bit on each of her albums and her genius. sorry its so long.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

Songs- Oedipus, Lacrimosa, Daniel Cowman, Lounge, and Prisoners

I'll forgive you for not mentioning Consequence of Sounds and Ne Me Quitte Pas! But you're pushing your luck.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

Bull Moose- Aint no cover, My man, and Pound of Flesh

That's it. I won't forgive you for not mentioning The Noise.

quote:
Originally posted by perksOfAWallflower:

Soviet Kitsch- Chemo Limo, Us, Ghost of Corp. Sailor, flowers, PLRB.

Ahem...Somedays, Your Honor and Ode To Divorce please.

quote:
Originally posted by perksOfAWallflower:

Begin to hope- Baobabs, Samson, Uhmerica, lady, Edit, That Time, Hotel Song, and On the Radio.

Okay, I already touched on this one so you get a pass.

Andreseng, i wasnt going through all the songs, just a few and some intresting things about each album.... i think every album is amazing and couldnt imagine them without the songs you pointed out that i didnt discuss. i just didnt want to seem more monotanous than it already was.

p.s. does anyone have a list of just the demos. and which ones were made for songs?