Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine Redneck

She Crab Soup

Finally made it to Virginia Beach to visit my beloved oldest sister, never realized how clean and beautiful this boardwalk and beach is. I mean "No Cussing" signs on the road, please. I felt like challenging the constitutional possibility of that, but why make waves when you're having fun?

Anyhoo, what's with this she crab soup. Simply the greatest food ever created. There is a swanky hotel on the Cape, (I believe it was a Hilton; I don't pay attention when food is before me) that has this incredible brunch buffet and yet I couldn't tear myself away from this soup.

I know some of you Northerners know what I'm talking about since the beach was filthy with ya'll (I mean that with great love, admiration and affection).

Finally made it to Virginia Beach to visit my beloved oldest sister, never realized how clean and beautiful this boardwalk and beach is. I mean "No Cussing" signs on the road, please. I felt like challenging the constitutional possibility of that, but why make waves when you're having fun?

Anyhoo, what's with this she crab soup. Simply the greatest food ever created. There is a swanky hotel on the Cape, (I believe it was a Hilton; I don't pay attention when food is before me) that has this incredible brunch buffet and yet I couldn't tear myself away from this soup.

I know some of you Northerners know what I'm talking about since the beach was filthy with ya'll (I mean that with great love, admiration and affection).

May a palmetto bug eat your head off Wink

She-Crab Soup Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 small onion, grated

3 celery stalks, minced

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Salt and white pepper to taste

1/4 teaspoon ground mace

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon Tabasco

Lemon juice

2 cups heavy cream

2 cups milk

2 cups total white she-crab meat and roe

1/2 cup sherry

Garnish

Paprika

Chopped fresh parsley

Instructions

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion and celery until soft. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, stir, and cook 5 minutes. Add all the spices, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and a splash of lemon juice and simmer briefly. Add the cream and milk and heat almost to scalding, stirring constantly. Add the crabmeat and roe and stir. Heat just long enough to warm through. Add the sherry and serve at once, garnished with paprika and chopped parsley.

Yield: 8 servings

Many recipes specify she-crabs, so you'll need to be able to tell females from males. Luckily, this is easy to do, and you won't need a magnifying glass. Simply look at the underside of the crab. The female has a broad, triangular-shaped area in the center of the shell, whereas the male has a distinctive, elongated spire in the center.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine Redneck:

Your superior knowledge and experience is intimidating...

I trust you say this in jest as knowing how to google does not make one of superior knowledge! Wink

I realize I'm still pretty new, but surely you've figured out my mental limitations... and yes, I know your name is not Shirley!

But since you googled it, I want to know if you've ever had the prepared stuff in VA Beach? There is a grocery chain there, Farm Fresh, or Farm Maket, which is like our Publix here in Florida. Talk about soups. They have a salad bar type thing (very clean, very watched, not nasty like some grocery "serve yourself" dealies) which has 6 to 8 choices of soups each day... we're talking on Chesapeake Bay so it's all clam chowder, she crab assortments, shrimp soup and the obligatory chili.

Quite a ramble for the love of soup, I do say...

No, to be perfectly honest I haven't had she-crab soup Frowner But I would if I could. Just never on the menu.

I have had plenty of clam chowder though. Both New England and Manhattan Style.

I have caught crayfish (crawfish, crawdad) on a string with peanut butter if that counts.