Sign in to follow this  
mooebon

music-lovers' soup

Hey Hey Soup

[This soup was named for a jazz club in Kansas City. I was dubious about the chocolate in the garnish, but trust me, it's excellent. It's taken from a fantastic all-soup cookbook called "Blue Moon Soup" by Gary Goss, with amazing illustrations by Jane Dyer. Most of the soups are less exotic than this one, but all are delicious.]

2T butter

1 small leek, chopped (1 to 1 1/2 cups)

1/4 cu chopped chives

1/4 cu sliced mushrooms

2 lgs sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

1 T cooking sherry or dry white wine (optional)

1 tsp curry

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cu milk

Garnish: 1 cup shredded Muenster cheese, 1/4 cu sliced mushrooms, and 1 bar of great chocolate, broken into bite-sized pieces.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

2. Melt the butter in a soup pot on medium heat.

3. Add the leek, chives, mushrooms, half of the sweet potatoes, the sherry if using, curry, salt, and pepper. Saute for 10 min, stirring w a wooden spoon.

4. Add the remaining sweet potatoes and 2 cups of water, and stir.

5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

6. In a blender or a bowl, blend of mash half the soup with the milk until thick and silky smooth.

7. Return the blended soup to the soup pot and stir.

8. Place soup crocks on a cookie sheet. Ladle soup into crocks, and garnish. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.

[makes 4-6 servings]

Hey Hey Soup

[This soup was named for a jazz club in Kansas City. I was dubious about the chocolate in the garnish, but trust me, it's excellent. It's taken from a fantastic all-soup cookbook called "Blue Moon Soup" by Gary Goss, with amazing illustrations by Jane Dyer. Most of the soups are less exotic than this one, but all are delicious.]

2T butter

1 small leek, chopped (1 to 1 1/2 cups)

1/4 cu chopped chives

1/4 cu sliced mushrooms

2 lgs sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

1 T cooking sherry or dry white wine (optional)

1 tsp curry

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cu milk

Garnish: 1 cup shredded Muenster cheese, 1/4 cu sliced mushrooms, and 1 bar of great chocolate, broken into bite-sized pieces.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

2. Melt the butter in a soup pot on medium heat.

3. Add the leek, chives, mushrooms, half of the sweet potatoes, the sherry if using, curry, salt, and pepper. Saute for 10 min, stirring w a wooden spoon.

4. Add the remaining sweet potatoes and 2 cups of water, and stir.

5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

6. In a blender or a bowl, blend of mash half the soup with the milk until thick and silky smooth.

7. Return the blended soup to the soup pot and stir.

8. Place soup crocks on a cookie sheet. Ladle soup into crocks, and garnish. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.

[makes 4-6 servings]

quote:
Originally posted by mattyj:

i think im gonna try this one tonight!

Let me know what you think!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Oh My Gawd!!!:

Would this be served with milk chocolate or dark chocolate?

I just looked it up, and it specifies only "great" chocolate. I forget which I use when I make it. (Have not made it recently---seems like a winter soup to me.)

I would just like to say tha this soup was so delicious, I wrote a short story about it for creative writing class this week. I was thinking about sending it to Regina, haha! (I am completely serious about writing a story aout soup, no lie! Smiler)

quote:
Originally posted by Yablonya:

I would just like to say tha this soup was so delicious, I wrote a short story about it for creative writing class this week. I was thinking about sending it to Regina, haha! (I am completely serious about writing a story aout soup, no lie! Smiler)

Wow, wrote a story. mooebon will be thrilled that she got your creative juices going.

Did you use dark or milk chocolate?

WOW!!! I am thrilled. Now, here's my fantasy. You go to Regina's gig in Northampton, Ma. and after the show, you convince her to go with you to the Soup Kitchen Restaurant (located in Northampton and founded by the chef who wrote that recipe) and you sit down for a bowl of Hey Hey soup together. Smiler

PS Maybe you should post your story??!!

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

WOW!!! I am thrilled. Now, here's my fantasy. You go to Regina's gig in Northampton, Ma. and after the show, you convince her to go with you to the Soup Kitchen Restaurant (located in Northampton and founded by the chef who wrote that recipe) and you sit down for a bowl of Hey Hey soup together. Smiler

I think that's a fantasy we can all relate to. Smiler

I would love to read that story as well!

quote:
Did you use dark or milk chocolate?

I used Hershey Special Dark. it was so good, oh my goodness!

quote:

Holy crap, I would die w/ happiness if we could eat soup together! She would probably think I was a loonie though, asking her to come eat soup w/ me hehe But about my story... it's pretty freaking long, five pages or something, & the font was really little. I don't know if I could fit all of it in a post. Or could I? Would anyone have the attention span? lol