Sign in to follow this  
Yablonya

why a special segment for soup...why not pastries?

So summer vacation has hardly started and I'm already bored out of my mind; all around creative BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK... i have nothing to do. I was so bored I tuned my piano three-yes three-times yikes! So, i started baking. I'm not sure why... maybe because there weren't enough little wannabe pimples between my eyebrows. I made baklava first. Frickin delicousous thing ever, then apricot kiffles and walnut kiffles and some other kind of kiffle, it tasted kind of like raspberry. And i purposely chose pain in the ass pastries because of boredom, but now i'm done with them and i can't read any of the family recipes because they're all in russian and i'm tired of getting my mom to translate... any good pastry recipes out there? European recipes in particular... something different...

So summer vacation has hardly started and I'm already bored out of my mind; all around creative BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK... i have nothing to do. I was so bored I tuned my piano three-yes three-times yikes! So, i started baking. I'm not sure why... maybe because there weren't enough little wannabe pimples between my eyebrows. I made baklava first. Frickin delicousous thing ever, then apricot kiffles and walnut kiffles and some other kind of kiffle, it tasted kind of like raspberry. And i purposely chose pain in the ass pastries because of boredom, but now i'm done with them and i can't read any of the family recipes because they're all in russian and i'm tired of getting my mom to translate... any good pastry recipes out there? European recipes in particular... something different...

Yablonya28-

Seems we're lacking pastry chefs. But the soup posts can go few and far between too. Maybe there's hope with time.

The people around you must pray for you to get bored, no?

yum...i love petite fours the best! i can't wit untill i am in paris (12 days)) and i will get to shove my face with french goodies.

i really like bresiliennes (chocolate & coffee), they are my preferance but there are all kinds. i made these from french class, its a recipe from off the net, not an old family one.

4-1/2 ounces- roasted almonds

6 ounces- powered sugar

1 teaspoon- instant coffee

2 tablespoons- rum (optional obviously)

2 tablespoons- whole milk or cream

3-1/2 ounces- grated chocolate

1 ounce- melted chocolate

1. Blend Put 1/3 of the Almonds and 1/3 of the sugar together in a blender or food processor. Pulse until they are ground fine. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat until all the almonds are ground.

2. Mix Mix the coffee powder with the Rhum and the Milk, stir well to dissolve the coffee crystals.

3. Combine Using a rubber spatula blend the almond mixture, the grated chocolate and the liquids together, forming a thick dough like substance.

4. Portion I used a small ice cream dipper to portion the mixture into uniform size balls. The mixture could also be rolled out into logs and cut into even sized pieces.

5. Round Make the pieces round by rolling them between the palms of your hands to form 3/4" balls. Set them on a tray lined with a sheet of waxed paper.

6. Indent Using your finger make a small indentation in the top of each ball, Melt the 1 ounce of chocolate and using a small spoon, portion it out into the small depressions on top of each brésilienne.

7. Dry Air dry for two or more hours .

these are so good, and its awesome to be creative and add or take away anything you like or dislike.

hope this makes you a little less bored.

yay! i love pastries... and yes, people want me to be bored Smiler It's just I've been busy and running around all year with studying for and taking the SATs and every other standardized test they made us take this year and getting my community service done (we need to do 60 mandatory hours for my district) and looking and visiting colleges and now that all of that is done... yeah time to bake some more and do yoga on the roof Smiler

I think soup is a little more user friendly and less intimidating...as for pastries my mom makes some awesome monkey bread (balls of dough covered with a brown sugar syrup) but I don't know the recipe off the top of my head. Its fairly simple though. Oh! And you can't go wrong with bana bread...which just gave me a thought. What does better with soup than pudding? Especially pistachio! I'm making myself hungry haha

hey, wallflower-

I tried your recipe, so delicious! it's definitely going into the cook book. They were so sweet and rich and moist, it made me happy... and it was kosher, perfect pastries. thank you! Smiler