Sign in to follow this  
Brenna!

Which version of Samson do you like better?

reg has said the reason she re-recorded it was she didn't like the first version. She insisted on doing many takes to get the version that is on BTH. After she decided she had the right one she decided she didn't and went back in to the studio again. She claims to have driven the executives crazy but having the control she does they had to put up with her!

This reminds me of this thread where someone here mistakenlly thought reg had said in an interview that she hated the whole album Songs.

But she never did say that. If you read the article referenced it becomes clear that she was indeed refering only to the fact she didn't like the way Samson was on the Songs album. The words hate, and entire album were never used.

I just reread that interview. (I had read it months ago.) It sounds to me like she sometimes feels like her old stuff generally sounds bad--then she goes into specifics about Samson.

Re: Samson, seems like what she dislikes is not the lack of elaborate orchestration. It's "my performance." I wondered if by that she might mean her voice. I once read another interview in which she said that her producer on BTH really gave her insight into her voice and how to use it. Maybe she likes the sound of her voice better now.

On the other hand, Regina complains about the slowness of the old version of Samson. The new version is certainly faster. So maybe it's not her voice....(Funny. The new Samson is more like the tempo of the other songs on Songs than the old version. So maybe she does like the rest of that album...)

Anyway, I like both sounds. But what I want to talk about is the question raised in February by Stepped on a Syringe: Regina recorded 28 songs for Songs, but only 12 made it onto the album. Where are the other 16? Are they all the demos we know and love? (Ave Maria, BYOS, Scarecrow & Fungus, etc.)

I so wish Regina would "archive" all her unrecorded songs for us. I would love to have a studio version of Human of the Year, Devil Comes to Bethlehem, All the Rowboats, and many many more. Songs II, Songs III, and beyond!!!

BTH hands down, maybe because i heard it first and the songs one sounds off to me now, it seems too slow. i actually heard a girl at the school in the next town over play it for a talent show, and she announced "this is samson between the BTH and songs version" and everyone looked around, everyone who knew of regina had only heard of BTH and not of songs so everyone but me was lost. it was a great tempo she used, slower than BTH but faster that songs very nice. her singing was not as good as her playing tho.

but before i had songs, i had this live version of prisoners, and listening to the cd version seems So slow, she speeds it up when she plays it now, so obviously she wasnt happy with it's tempo either. i like it faster better.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

reg has said the reason she re-recorded it was she didn't like the first version. She insisted on doing many takes to get the version that is on BTH. After she decided she had the right one she decided she didn't and went back in to the studio again. She claims to have driven the executives crazy but having the control she does they had to put up with her!

Michelangelo spent eight years working on the Pieta; it was a personal work (not commisioned by anyone), and he had become more religious in his old age, and wanted a devotional/personal masterpiece to place on his tomb. But the more he worked on it, the more he noticed the little flaws in an otherwise perfect piece. After eight years he flipped out and took a hammer to it, but his assistant Antonio stopped him, and Michelangelo consented to let Calcagni finish it.

I'm not saying Regina's that way or anything, but artists can be sensitive.Big Grin

I first heard Samson on the video she has in the library here, and it really knocked me over. We all have first loves that have left a mark, and it's just such a poignant, melancholy piece. The slowness, and the more reminiscent quality (it seems to me), of the Songs version just sounds a little more bitter-sweet.

But I love both versions, and the video to the BTH version is really nice too. Smiler