Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

reg song you disliked,AT FIRST

The entire soviet kitsch album. I want a fan of regi from the start, so I jumped from Far and Begin To Hope, to songs then 11:11 and finally SK. It was such a huge change compared to BTH and Far that I didn't like it.

I started by buying single songs on iTunes before completing the albums. I was going to buy "Us" when I thought "what the hell, I'll just get the whole album." I was on the bus home from my college campus when the album finished downloading, and I was just wondering what the hell? Then "chemo limo" came on, followed by ode to divorce. I went on iTunes and read the reviews to find that it took a lot of people a couple of listens.

To this day, Soviet Kitsch is my all time favorite album, even over BTH and Far. We'll see how WWSFTCS plays out Razzer judging by the wellmont theatre show I went to, the all the rowboats and ne me quitte pas singles and the Small Town Moon tease regi gave us on soundcloud, this album is going to be nothing to mess with.

I remember staying up late and catching the video for "Fidelity" on TV. {This would be my first introduction to Regina Spektor.} I didn't like it at all. However, it got stuck in my head to the point where I looked it up and gave it another listen. I ended up really liking it and discovering other great songs by her.

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

quote:
Originally posted by heroin boy:

2.99C Blues (honestly, it's still not one of my favorites)

Your Honor (I like it now, but the vibe is so different of most of her songs, I find it weird at first)

Hmmm... I don't remember any other.

Am I the only one on here who actually liked 2.99c blues when I first heard it? Lol

I loved it for the "2.99-2.99-2.99-9-9-9-9-9" part near the end. It felt so edgy to me :P

Anyway, about the topic, I can only think of so few songs that didn't stick to me at first.

One would be 20 Years of Snow. It just felt too all-over-the-place for me with all that production. Then there's Sunshine, which for unknown reasons didn't stick on the first listen. Something about Lacrimosa didn't stick to me as well (at first, of course).

But then all these grew on me, so all's well with the world, I suppose Smiler

Sunshine: the echoing and the feeling that the song was directed at no one in particular left me cold. I liked the road rage part, I guess. Still don't love this one

Cinderella: similar to Sunshine, this one felt unfocused in a way. I've connected better with it, though. Still don't have a feeling of what it's about, but i'm A ok with that Smiler

Wasteside: i felt that it was trying too hard, but now i love it. I don't listen much-it's a secret Regina song for me. Some of them come around all the time, but this one's hiding around the corner mostly haha

Pavlov's Daughter: i think i posted somewhere before that this song scared me when i first heard it lol!! she sang as "lucille" with so much conviction. But she wasn't Lucille, she was regina.. So what's she so passionate about? The whispering during the beginning, and then Babylon.. I thought the girl was possessed hahaha

Dust to Dust. I still don't ever listen to this song. It feels "off" to me. The melody, how she sings it, is just an element of her song catalogue that i cannot comprehend. It's over my head, i guess. Some people love this song. Confused

"You" made me laugh out loud and i listened to it to mock regina for a while. It seemed like such a "normal" song to me until she hit the chorus. It was funny until i started loving it. Then when i played it for people, they laughed and told me my taste in music sucked LOL served me right.

Daniel Cowman. It felt endless and strange and crude. I still think all those things, just now i can add "awesome" and "one-of-a-kind" to the list!

okay, i tend not to like Regina's songs on the first listen. I'm just this last couple months warming up to The Calculation! Lol! I'll like The Party around the time i'm ready to start a family Razzer

More recently speaking, I really wasn't crazy about How when I first heard it at the Montclair show. I've since really fallen for it, though. It started with it just getting stuck in my head, then I had to listen to it when I thought of it. It's a good song, I'm glad I warmed up to it.

At first I really didn't like field below. I'd always skip it while listening to that album. Something about it just made me feel weird and kind of uncomfortable. It would give off a negative vibe to me which sounds kind of crazy. I guess I've grown to appreciate it though because I don't skip it anymore.

Oh Marcello and pavlov's daughter are a good example, but with more listens things changed. There is other group that have the same effect on me, i mean, i have to listen a couple of times until i get it, is a group called Love of Lesbian

PD: Sorry for my english, isn't my native language.

I'm still not a big fan of Field Below, though it's grown on me a little. I don't love Lady either.

A lot of 11:11 took a while to get into, but I like almost all the songs on it by this point. Same thing with Songs.

I think it's actually ultimately a good thing that a lot of Regina songs take a while to get into... Her songs are so unique and layered that of course we're not gonna fully "get" all of them immediately. That's what makes her great.