Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

A rant about Regina

hmm, that's weird...

doesn't seem like nonsense lyrics to me

I thought she was talking about a dirty politician and his family OR about a rich kid who is bad (prob. the second one over the first)

"they say he’s adopted but quite maladapted

they say he’s corrupted but quite well-respected

he’s got lots of money, we all really like him

he’s got enough money to bother"

I have a few theories...but still is a story - one of her brilliant made up stories, not nonsense

i love regina, you all know that. but, honestly, her piano is not as advanced as tori amos's. im not even a tori fan at all... but i play piano, and regina's songs are very simple and basic. even 20 years of snow is a relatively easy song. I think she writes her music with a personality, unlike tori, whos music can be excessive.

regie's piano is very stripped, but that is why so much emotion comes through,. shes not blocking it in any way.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

i think she could write thing more complex if she wanted, but think how hard it would be to tour with such difficult songs. so. maybe its just making her life simpler, i dont know if its lack of talent.

You hit it on the head my dear! It not lack of talent, it's composition style.

I think there are nonsensical parts of all her lyrics. Or at least opaque parts.

I love the line "He's got lots of money, we all really like him"---I can't help laughing out loud every time--so I get the meaning of the line, but the larger context I am less sure of. Soldering two wires together, for ex....?

As for her piano, a pianist I know told me that R's songs were more complex than those of most rock singers who accompany themselves.

In any case, maybe what seems "simple" reflects a conscious decision---maybe she likes the way it sounds. Like having a lyric that repeats the same words over and over---(C'mon Daddy, c'mon Daddy) it might appear "easy" to write. But music & lyrics both come off as brilliant to me. Smiler