Sign in to follow this  
Eliana

1999 demo tape

I think this belongs to the thread:

readme.jpg

It's the readme file that has been posted with the songs. I haven't found it anywhere on here but I guess the same letter was sent with the original package to peter pan.

At least we know the whole story now.

I wanted to throw my two cents in to this discussion, and I hope I won't be attacked since I've never posted here before (though I've frequented and read this discussion board for years.)

It seems to me only logical that if the reason Regina didn't want the songs posted was because she wasn't super jazzed about people hearing these songs, then it only follows that she also wouldn't really have wanted Peter Pan to hear them either. But, rather than destroying the tape without ever listening to it, it sounds like he treats the tape like the Holy Grail ("I don't want to start and stop the tape too much, I'm afraid something will happen to it"), listens to it with relish, and then chastises everyone else for "not being considerate" or "respectful." Yes, she didn't say specifically that she didn't want him to listen to it, but then it doesn't sound like he asked her how she felt about him having it or him listening to it. In fact it almost seems like he backed her into a corner and demanded an answer about posting it online when she had already said that it was his and he could do what he wanted with it. Almost like he wanted her to say "don't share it".

Furthermore, all this is taken on his word as "the only person at the concert" that got to speak to Regina. How does anyone know exactly what was said, in what context, and how she really feels about it unless it comes straight from her mouth? She doesn't seem like the type that wouldn't want someone to share. Sorry to be the Doubting Thomas.

All in all, it strikes me that Peter Pan is power-tripping on his self-imposed "ultimate Regina fanboy" status. I think if he's so concerned about how she feels about not having people hear the songs, he should destroy every copy he's got and give the original back to Regina. Furthermore, we should get a list of "approved songs" from Regina - the ones she wants us to hear - and then destroy all the songs not on that list (the gobs of unreleased demos, early work, live recordings, etc.) - take them from our collections and destroy them, delete them, have a huge unapproved-Regina-recordings bonfire. I mean that would only be considerate and respectful since those are things she sort-of probably doesn't really want us to hear when she's backed into a corner and asked about it.

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but I think Peter's really being a jerk. I mean he obviously digitized these songs, and shared them with enough people that someone got a hold of them and posted them. So ultimately the songs got leaked because of what HE did, yet he is pointing the finger at everyone else and saying "you aren't considerate, you aren't respectful." Only HE should get to listen to them and only HE should get to choose who they should be shared with. I think it's crazy and I think that's not what Regina would want at all.

Regina's overarching message seems to be : share the love, be real, be good to each other. We are listening to her unreleased songs not out of disrespect, or negativity, but rather because we really love her music, her creativity, we are listening out of love, and sharing out of love, and despite her sheepishness about her early stuff I don't see how that can be wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by Ficky:

I wanted to throw my two cents in to this discussion, and I hope I won't be attacked since I've never posted here before (though I've frequented and read this discussion board for years.)

It seems to me only logical that if the reason Regina didn't want the songs posted was because she wasn't super jazzed about people hearing these songs, then it only follows that she also wouldn't really have wanted Peter Pan to hear them either. But, rather than destroying the tape without ever listening to it, it sounds like he treats the tape like the Holy Grail ("I don't want to start and stop the tape too much, I'm afraid something will happen to it"), listens to it with relish, and then chastises everyone else for "not being considerate" or "respectful." Yes, she didn't say specifically that she didn't want him to listen to it, but then it doesn't sound like he asked her how she felt about him having it or him listening to it. In fact it almost seems like he backed her into a corner and demanded an answer about posting it online when she had already said that it was his and he could do what he wanted with it. Almost like he wanted her to say "don't share it".

Furthermore, all this is taken on his word as "the only person at the concert" that got to speak to Regina. How does anyone know exactly what was said, in what context, and how she really feels about it unless it comes straight from her mouth? She doesn't seem like the type that wouldn't want someone to share. Sorry to be the Doubting Thomas.

All in all, it strikes me that Peter Pan is power-tripping on his self-imposed "ultimate Regina fanboy" status. I think if he's so concerned about how she feels about not having people hear the songs, he should destroy every copy he's got and give the original back to Regina. Furthermore, we should get a list of "approved songs" from Regina - the ones she wants us to hear - and then destroy all the songs not on that list (the gobs of unreleased demos, early work, live recordings, etc.) - take them from our collections and destroy them, delete them, have a huge unapproved-Regina-recordings bonfire. I mean that would only be considerate and respectful since those are things she sort-of probably doesn't really want us to hear when she's backed into a corner and asked about it.

Sorry to be so sarcastic, but I think Peter's really being a jerk. I mean he obviously digitized these songs, and shared them with enough people that someone got a hold of them and posted them. So ultimately the songs got leaked because of what HE did, yet he is pointing the finger at everyone else and saying "you aren't considerate, you aren't respectful." Only HE should get to listen to them and only HE should get to choose who they should be shared with. I think it's crazy and I think that's not what Regina would want at all.

Regina's overarching message seems to be : share the love, be real, be good to each other. We are listening to her unreleased songs not out of disrespect, or negativity, but rather because we really love her music, her creativity, we are listening out of love, and sharing out of love, and despite her sheepishness about her early stuff I don't see how that can be wrong.

Fair play, this is getting ridiculous, this is obviously what happened, why abuse your position?

quote:

agree 100000000%

quote:

Thank you for writing this, it's exactly how I feel Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by staceb1990:

quote:

Thank you for writing this, it's exactly how I feel Big Grin

You know, this really was what was going through my head for a while now. I just had NO IDEA how to put it into words or how I actually felt. I honestly think this makes the most sense out of anything. I couldn't have said it better.

quote:

1) I think Peter's really being a jerk. I mean he obviously digitized these songs, and shared them with enough people that someone got a hold of them and posted them. So ultimately the songs got leaked because of what HE did, yet he is pointing the finger at everyone else and saying "you aren't considerate, you aren't respectful." Only HE should get to listen to them and only HE should get to choose who they should be shared with. I think it's crazy and I think that's not what Regina would want at all.

Peter Pan was asked not to post them online. He didn't. Someone betrayed both his and Regina's wishes.

quote:

Regina's overarching message seems to be : share the love, be real, be good to each other.

Regardless of what "overarching message" you believe applies, Regina's actual words were in-fact, "please don't post them on the internet. Deliberately betraying that isn't being good to each other.

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

We are listening to her unreleased songs not out of disrespect, or negativity, but rather because we really love her music, her creativity, we are listening out of love, and sharing out of love, and despite her sheepishness about her early stuff I don't see how that can be wrong.

Classic straw man argument, and not the issue. Nobody said that it's wrong to listen to them. It was wrong to post them on youtube, and wherever else. It's been done, and it's unfortunate. It only serves to distance the fans from Regina even more.

quote:
Originally posted by jesse:

agree 100000000%

So you posted the songs, eh?