Sign in to follow this  
Eliana

1999 demo tape

Whilst I believe that it was wrong for the original YouTuber to share the songs despite knowing Regina's wishers, having gained the knowledge that these songs were in circulation with 100s of people is just as bad.

The thing is, if one were *truly* going to respect Regina's wishes, they would have made every attempt to restrict the 'movement' or 'spread' of the said music. By digitising the music and then 'sharing' the music with a few people, it *is* inevitable that it will eventually leak.

We saw that with the 'Laughing With' photo - the picture of Regina with the mask at the piano. This was when details of the album were scarce so Warner tried to take the picture down, but many of us on this forum would have saved that to the computer already.

Nothing that goes on the internet is sacred and so the only way in which a person could have truly respected those wishes were to keep the music to themselves in the first place. There's no point crying foul when the real reason why this situation could have happened was due to improper handling at the start.

And yes, I'm loving the songs. School Is Out is beautiful.

quote:
Originally posted by stwongbad85:

"oooooo look at me, I have 3445596078678 milllion posts on the Regirna forum, i have a really cool Quote from a Regina Spektor Song as my signatue, and I was into her before she toured with the strokes, get off my forum"

Sorry for the random post, but wow.

Never before in all my readings of the stix have a come across a more accurate description of this forum and many of it's users.

It pretty much sums up the reason I don't post here, as much as I'd like to.

Regina's words were not even CLOSE to "please don't post them on the internet". Regina's words were, according to Peter Pan's original post on this very message board:

"She also felt that the forum people had supported her really well and that they deserved to hear them if they wanted.

So I pushed her for a decision, just a little push, and she said that she would prefer that they were not put on the web but it was up to me."

Nothing and no one was betrayed. As a matter of fact it seems at worst she had mixed feelings about it.

If you read the entire thread beginning to end you will see that some people were saying, or feeling, that it might be wrong to listen to the songs. I disagree, and I was speaking to that in the last bit, which was off topic but wasn't the meat of my argument.

I agree with all of you who think this is being blown WAY out of proportion.

High five jesse, staceb tallchick and spektorese. Haha! Thank you guys. I'm just glad it happened, by turn of events, that it was shared amongst all of us and not hoarded by the chosen few. Power to the people!

PS - Did everybody see Regina posted the album version of Folding Chair on myspace today???

"I've got a perfect body, 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat.." Complete with uncanny dolphin impression... !!

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyC:

Peter Pan was asked not to post them online. He didn't. Someone betrayed both his and Regina's wishes.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Someone posted them online, which isn't right. But how did it get there in the first place? Obviously if you follow the trail, it leads to the first person who shared them. And who is this person who shared them in the first place?

quote:

Regardless of what "overarching message" you believe applies, Regina's actual words were in-fact, "please don't post them on the internet. Deliberately betraying that isn't being good to each other.

quote:

Classic straw man argument, and not the issue. Nobody said that it's wrong to listen to them. It was wrong to post them on youtube, and wherever else. It's been done, and it's unfortunate. It only serves to distance the fans from Regina even more.

Regina didn't want them on the internet, this I'll agree. But "not wanting them on the internet" also meant "not wanting anyone to hear them". She just didn't want her earlier stuff to be heard by the general public, period. Doesn't matter if it's heard through the internet community, or by the stix; she just didn't want them to be heard. And I know a lot of you ppl here (ppl on brumstix way back) got hold of these songs a loooooong time ago.

Now that it's out, it's out.

It is sad that it got put onto youtube, but it's also sad that it got "shared secretly" too. And that is the root cause of this leakage.

Really, it's as if you people are trying to piss me off.

Regina expressed a preference, a tiny request--to my knowledge, just the second time she's ever done so in the last 7 years--but of course that was far too much to ask. Because she didn't really mean it, or because she wouldn't mind if she knew how much you'd enjoy hearing it, or because anything she's ever made is fair game and she has no right to ask, or because she didn't use harsh enough language, or whatever other bullshit way you'd like to twist it. peter pan's great crime was extending regina the courtesy of actually asking (more courtesy than I've ever extended her, despite having had a hundred chances) and having the audacity to try and honor her request.

The suggestion that peter pan is somehow responsible for the "inevitable" posting of these tracks is particularly dubious--insofar as it glosses over the fact that this was not a careless accident, but the act of someone else, fully aware and dismissive of regina's stated preference, who willfully and deliberately chose to post them, motivated, based on their comments, by no more noble an impulse than infantile spitefulness. Because regina's preference is not worth giving more than a passing thought, but someone else having something that you don't? Now that's a fucking injustice of the first order! Vive la résistance!

Bunch of savages in this town, I swear to god...

quote:
Originally posted by mk90_:

And I know a lot of you ppl here (ppl on brumstix way back) got hold of these songs a loooooong time ago.

it's also sad that it got "shared secretly" too. And that is the root cause of this leakage.

It got secretly shared via Brumstix?

If that's true, that's not cool. To me, that seems much worse than someone putting them on Youtube.

quote:
Originally posted by srg:

Really, it's as if you people are trying to piss me off.

Regina expressed a preference, a tiny request--to my knowledge, just the second time she's ever done so in the last 7 years--but of course that was far too much to ask. Because she didn't really mean it, or because she wouldn't mind if she knew how much you'd enjoy hearing it, or because anything she's ever made is fair game and she has no right to ask, or because she didn't use harsh enough language, or whatever other bullshit way you'd like to twist it. peter pan's great crime was extending regina the courtesy of actually asking (more courtesy than I've ever extended her, despite having had a hundred chances) and having the audacity to try and honor her request.

The suggestion that peter pan is somehow responsible for the "inevitable" posting of these tracks is particularly dubious--insofar as it glosses over the fact that this was not a careless accident, but the act of someone else, fully aware and dismissive of regina's stated preference, who willfully and deliberately chose to post them, motivated, based on their comments, by no more noble an impulse than infantile spitefulness. Because regina's preference is not worth giving more than a passing thought, but someone else having something that you don't? Now that's a fucking injustice of the first order! Vive la résistance!

Bunch of savages in this town, I swear to god...

Quoted for truth

Unfortunately at this point what's done is done and nobody here is gonna be convinced by anyone else because we all think we're right. Nothing can be done about it now, so lets just let the drama llama graze in other pastures.