Sign in to follow this  
Eliana

1999 demo tape

^ Right. But I just want to say really quick:

quote:
Originally posted by batsonmars:

quote:
Originally posted by mk90_:

And I know a lot of you ppl here (ppl on brumstix way back) got hold of these songs a loooooong time ago.

it's also sad that it got "shared secretly" too. And that is the root cause of this leakage.

It got secretly shared via Brumstix?

If that's true, that's not cool. To me, that seems much worse than someone putting them on Youtube.

The songs were NOT "shared secretly" on Brumstix. The only songs on the tape that Peter Pan posted here were Braille, Sunshine, and Love Affair, songs we'd already heard because they're on "11:11."

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyC:

Peter Pan was asked not to post them online. He didn't. Someone betrayed both his and Regina's wishes.

Weren't these tapes circulated to a few people in 1999? I mean, its not as if peter pan was the ONLY one in the world who had these songs. I highly doubt, especially if you read the way peter pan acts when asked about these songs, that he shared these with anyone.

Also, I think the point is peterpan's reaction at the songs being released and the way he kind of felt like the songs were sacred between regina and him. Like someone said on the board, if regina didn't want us to listen to it, than she probably didn't want peterpan to hear them either. And since he was the only person to ever listen to the songs, it was kind of unfair to all the other huge fans out there who could have just as easily gotten the tape off ebay just like he did and decided what to do with it. Actually most likely, that person would have shared it and not bothered to ask regina.

Which brings me to my second point, the person who originally sold the tape is more likely to have put them up on youtube than peterpan.

*end ramble*

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa...:

^ Right. But I just want to say really quick:

quote:
Originally posted by batsonmars:

quote:

And I know a lot of you ppl here (ppl on brumstix way back) got hold of these songs a loooooong time ago.

it's also sad that it got "shared secretly" too. And that is the root cause of this leakage.

It got secretly shared via Brumstix?

If that's true, that's not cool. To me, that seems much worse than someone putting them on Youtube.

The songs were NOT "shared secretly" on Brumstix. The only songs on the tape that Peter Pan posted here were Braille, Sunshine, and Love Affair, songs we'd already heard because they're on "11:11."

Well, I knew about those. And I did say 'if'. I mean, I have no proof that this happened but if it did, that's a shame.

I don't think Regina minded Peter Pan hearing the demo tape, or letting his friends listen to it. He paid a pretty high price for it. I think she just didn't especially want the songs posted on the internet, where they would be available to the whole world.

There were probably several copies of the original 1999 demo cassette. The YouTube poster could easily have gotten his/her copy from Regina years ago, or from someone she had given one to, or ... (a million other possibilities). No way of knowing unless the YouTube poster explains, which seems unlikely.

quote:
Originally posted by peter pan:

If you read this thread you will see that there was never any intention on my part to keep these songs to myself.

Regina Spektor simply requested these songs not be posted on the net. I really thought that I had made myself clear about this.

The simple fact is that someone has deceided to ignore her request and sites like reginaspektor.org continue to ignore Regina's request.

http://reginaspektor.infopop.c...=268102631#268102631

I was informed about this whole drama ordeal, and then also about this post, and then I thought "Good idea."

So yes, I, too, was one of the ones who secretly received the almost two years ago. about 15 or 20 of us received the songs, though let me reitirate the fact that Peter Pan WAS NOT being elitest nor was he being selfish, he was simply wanting to share the songs WITHOUT disrespecting Regina.

He asked Andreseng who on the Stix he would be able to trust to share the songs with, trust enough to not mass-upload.

At the time it seemed all friendly enough, but being updated and reading back on the discussions today, it's disappointing how some of us who received the songs are acting patronizing and innocent, saying Regina doesn't want these songs to be heard, and yet they've had the files safely on their computer the last two years.

I'll admit to having shared the songs with three people over the last two years, after which I got "scolded" by someone in the group for doing so. This person only knew about me sharing because they had offered the songs to someone I had already shared the songs with.

So obviously, I wasn't the only one who was sharing. It made me feel that what was originally a friendly little group, had evolved into more elitist, which I'm ashamed to say.

In truth, I felt guilty this whole time, because none of us deserved anything to receive the songs back then. We simply had been active on the Stix that Summer, and "deemed worthy" to receive the songs. What about all the active and contributing or new people showing up on the stix since then? Like Rosa saying she had no idea they were being shared on the Stix at all, and she's been on longer than I have.

So while I don't fully agree with uploading the songs to the masses, I, too, approve of Holdonyourhonour's post and actions in wanting to share with her friends.

~rawin

First of all, it's good to hear from you, Rawin.

But in all honesty, this whole thing just makes me really sick.

And to think that just when I felt like maybe it was safe to poke my head out of the burrow, this happens.

No more Brenna...