Sign in to follow this  
Eliana

1999 demo tape

Hey! Emotional people! Please calm yourselves! Lives are not at stake here. Let's be mature and relaxed. (Jesse, I apologize for the presumption. Please read on if you'd like to understand my perspective better)

I am in the unique position of being the only other person that Regina asked not to share songs at one time (that I know of). From this perspective, I can relate to Peter Pan very well. I never shared my recordings with anyone, because it was the right thing to do. Not because it was selfish, or elitist, but because it was respectful.

When I was lucky enough to receive a copy of the 1999 Demo Tape, as a person "trusted" not to post it in the wild (a trust that I think I earned through the aforementioned experience) I was stunned and fearful of being on-the-hook for maintaining Regina's trust in her fans. The sheer reverence that I have for her as an artist and a person compelled me to never dare tell anyone that I had the songs. Not even my closest friends or fellow stixers. I zipped it, and locked it up. Being elitist was never a factor - it was complete awe and respect for a great artist and her wishes. I didn't want to be the one to do wrong by her.

NOW, knowing how it made me feel - I can't even comprehend why someone else would've decided to upload the tape to be shared en masse. It just doesn't compute for me. There is no social justice in it. It is not anyone's right to hear these songs - it is a profound privilege.

As happened the first time that Regina made such a request, someone eventually showed up with a self-righteous attitude and a misguided idea that they were "empowering the people". That person succeeded in breaking Regina's trust and potentially harmed her career - those songs may have been disqualified from a movie soundtrack because they were leaked.

This place has become far more juvenile than I ever expected when I first joined. It's not due to an elitist attitude from the long-time stixers (who are among the most level headed and kind people that I know), but rather to a feeling of entitlement from the new members. Nobody here has entitlement, most notably those who have not yet earned trust, or built a relationship with anybody. Do not condemn those who are close friends for treating each other as such. Do not complain about not being included in a friendship that you have not made the effort to build. This negative portrayal of old-stixers paints a picture: Walk into a shopping mall, find a random group of friends, jump into the middle of their conversation. You will not be treated as well as those who have been friends for years. Are these people elitist because they treat their close friends better than newcomers? No, but if you make an effort to be friendly, you will also make friends yourself.

This is common sense in life, as well as on the internet.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

So I want to understand something. I've downloaded many live songs that have not yet been recorded(Virgin Queen, Small Town Moon, Soho, Mermaid, etc..). Should I wipe them from my hard drive? No way.

I'm not sure who that was directed at, but I certainly didn't suggest such stupidity.

Also, I've just realized that people are trying to let this thread die, so I won't post in it anymore! Promise!

quote:
Originally posted by .:

http://reginaspektor.infopop.c...=268102631#268102631

I was informed about this whole drama ordeal, and then also about this post, and then I thought "Good idea."

So yes, I, too, was one of the ones who secretly received the almost two years ago. about 15 or 20 of us received the songs, though let me reitirate the fact that Peter Pan WAS NOT being elitest nor was he being selfish, he was simply wanting to share the songs WITHOUT disrespecting Regina.

He asked Andreseng who on the Stix he would be able to trust to share the songs with, trust enough to not mass-upload.

At the time it seemed all friendly enough, but being updated and reading back on the discussions today, it's disappointing how some of us who received the songs are acting patronizing and innocent, saying Regina doesn't want these songs to be heard, and yet they've had the files safely on their computer the last two years.

I'll admit to having shared the songs with three people over the last two years, after which I got "scolded" by someone in the group for doing so. This person only knew about me sharing because they had offered the songs to someone I had already shared the songs with.

So obviously, I wasn't the only one who was sharing. It made me feel that what was originally a friendly little group, had evolved into more elitist, which I'm ashamed to say.

In truth, I felt guilty this whole time, because none of us deserved anything to receive the songs back then. We simply had been active on the Stix that Summer, and "deemed worthy" to receive the songs. What about all the active and contributing or new people showing up on the stix since then? Like Rosa saying she had no idea they were being shared on the Stix at all, and she's been on longer than I have.

So while I don't fully agree with uploading the songs to the masses, I, too, approve of Holdonyourhonour's post and actions in wanting to share with her friends.

~rawin

Quoted to stop rawin deleting.

I will give my thoughts when I have had time to gather them....Dramatic eh?

quote:
Originally posted by Brenna!:

I just think it's disgusting how a select 15-20 members were chosen to be part of this little club. And the way it was done? With George being consulted on who was trustworthy? So f'ing tacky. Really hurtful, too, which is stupid, because it's just an online forum. But I really did think I was part of this community, and to find out I never was... Yeah, it sucks. Guess I'm going back to Fragment.

I completely agree. I'm annoyed that the "trusted" people who received copies of that tape are angry that the rest of Regina's fans have the opportunity to hear it, as if it's okay for them and only them to hear it. as if they were Regina's chosen few. It seems almost as if they care more about maintaining their status as the privileged elite than honoring regina's wishes. It's disgusting. I hate to say that, but it's how I really feel.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenna!:

I just think it's disgusting how a select 15-20 members were chosen to be part of this little club. And the way it was done? With George being consulted on who was trustworthy? So f'ing tacky.

Quoted for truth.

this has really shocked me :o, i just think its all wrong, how dare you all say your 'real' fans knowing you shared secretly those songs, how unfair to keep people out, im glad these songs have come out, i hope one of your 'select' few did it :|