Sign in to follow this  
Eliana

1999 demo tape

Would anyone happen to have higher quality mp3's of these? For some reason my versions of School is out, Cinderella, and Chicken Song are all 320kps but the others are only 192...kind of want them all to be the same, OCD at its finest! lol

random observation:

I don't know a single thing about copywriting music, except that i'm pretty sure i just spelled the word wrong haha

But the disc says "demo" with the copyright symbol on it. is it really legally protected? I'm not worried about the legality of it, i was just curious. i could see it being protected, maybe for a short time? so that her stuff wouldn't wind up being sampled or used without permission for someone else's gain, so that would make sense.

however, wouldn't she have claimed that copyright when the demo blew up online? the stuff for the musical was yanked quickly, as, i'm sure, would be any other newer material that would be leaked. Anyway, just noticed the little c in the circle and wondered if it was legit, or just looks really legit but is really BS/decoration?

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

But the disc says "demo" with the copyright symbol on it. is it really legally protected?

Hello! I know this is from 2011, but I just wanted to let you know that yes, it is copyrighted. Once a work is created, it is automatically copyrighted to the artist whether there is a symbol or not. And although it is wise to register the copyright, it is also not needed.

Go draw a picture on a piece of paper. Is it an original piece of art? Yes? Good. It's copyrighted to you.

See? Easy. Big Grin

From www.copyright.gov

When is my work protected?

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

quote:

But the disc says "demo" with the copyright symbol on it. is it really legally protected? I'm not worried about the legality of it, i was just curious. i could see it being protected, maybe for a short time? so that her stuff wouldn't wind up being sampled or used without permission for someone else's gain, so that would make sense.

however, wouldn't she have claimed that copyright when the demo blew up online? the stuff for the musical was yanked quickly, as, i'm sure, would be any other newer material that would be leaked. Anyway, just noticed the little c in the circle and wondered if it was legit, or just looks really legit but is really BS/decoration?

Regina's unreleased songs aren't registered in any music licensing catalogs, but I'm sure they're protected somehow. My guess is she doesn't care about the demo tape songs, in spite of all the fuss people made about it being released, and that's why they're still online.

quote:
Originally posted by Wild Child:

quote:

But the disc says "demo" with the copyright symbol on it. is it really legally protected?

Hello! I know this is from 2011, but I just wanted to let you know that yes, it is copyrighted. Once a work is created, it is automatically copyrighted to the artist whether there is a symbol or not. And although it is wise to register the copyright, it is also not needed.

Go draw a picture on a piece of paper. Is it an original piece of art? Yes? Good. It's copyrighted to you.

See? Easy. Big Grin

From www.copyright.gov

When is my work protected?

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Interesting! Smiler

tumblr_ly6q4uIGIk1qc33jn.jpg