Sign in to follow this  
The Catcher in the Rye

Let's go to the Movies...

Big Grin someone was bound to disagree...tell him he just made me want to rewatch both Wink

ad Grave of the fireflies, report on how did you like it after you watch it (hmm, this is probably not the right sequence of tenses but you get me right?); because I found it to be too Western. It contained a lot of pathos in comparison to other animes which was annoying rather than moving (whereas I cried like a baby watching Mononoke).

*off to find the dvds*

I just watched The Graduate! Smiler GREAT MOVIE. The camera shots and angles and use of music was so unlike many other movies made 60's. And now I totally understand the ending which I already knew going into it.

And yes I'm coming here to post after every good movie i've just seen. Thanks netflix!

quote:
Originally posted by BitsOfBone:

Watching Black Swan for the 2nd time right now.

It's wonderful.

I think I'm gonna go a third! I can't get enough Smiler

quote:

ps. I'm going to see 'The King's Speech' on Saturday, and I'm very excited.

I want to see this SO bad! Please tell us how it was?!

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

I just watched The Graduate! Smiler GREAT MOVIE. The camera shots and angles and use of music was so unlike many other movies made 60's. And now I totally understand the ending which I already knew going into it.

I loved The Graduate so much! But dear God Mrs Robinson is the creepiest creeper of all creeping time! Eeker

I will be seeing Black Swan over the weekend I'm so excited! I love Oscar Time! Big Grin

(Edit)

Turns out I am going to see Black Swan tonight! I'm so excited! Big Grin Wil1 report my thoughts when I get back!

I just got back from black Swan and Oh my god that was the best movie of all time! I can't even describe it. SO intense, so beautiful,so well done. so amazingly acted. There is no other film that even comes close to it! My new favorite film. Big Grin

So you should probably go and see it. it definitely deserves best picture! Eeker

quote:
Originally posted by Ксения:

I saw Black Swan for the second time yesterday.

It was great to notice other details and build more ideas and interpretations about Nina's character. Every second I got shivers and it shook me from inside.

Yes, Rosa, there are much of ambiguity and scary moments for sure, but that's what really gets you. It's not like any other movie when you just have to 'accept' the ending. This one is so different. It makes you analyze what you just saw, get your own conclusions and maybe develop the author's thought and idea the way you want/feel.

Yes, I realize the purpose of ambiguity. Notice that I said I thought there was too much of it. On the other hand, now that it's been a while since I've seen the movie, I like it more. It's fun and interesting to try to figure out what really happened and what didn't. It can be frustrating too, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

^That's the thing - she wasn't or at least it was not shown directly. Beth was the one that got hit but there were several details that suggested that from that moment on (car hitting Beth) the story is Nina's hallucinations before her dying moment hence she was the one involved in the crash (abrupt transition between the accident scene and the scene at the hospital; Nina's leg changing into swan's leg by breaking and her hitting her head, and the final revelation of the fatal wound while she's lying = like on a pavement dying). Maybe that's just overcomplicating things but y'now literature majors tend to incline towards weird-ish analyses Wink

To tell you the truth, that seems kind of far-fetched, but it's definitely an interesting theory. That sure didn't occur to me.

So, I saw Black Swan for a 3rd time (friends don't let friends see black swan alone). I can't say it wasn't worth it because I noticed even more stuff than I did the first two times.

Most importantly though, the first time I watched- at the end I though, "ok Nina was metally disturbed and that ultimately escalated to suicide." Second time though, the logistics of which "swan" was doing the stabbing started weighing heavily in my mind. Granted, Nina was both "swans". But how could the actual Nina who just danced as the white swan come in and battle with the imaginary "evil" Lily/black swan phantom and stab her (a delusion/hallucination) then actually die herself? Sure she could break a mirror- seeing her evil twin in it, but there's no realistic way that she could do multiple costume changes and not notice a giant shard of glass in her abdomen. Nor could she dance through two more acts of Swan Lake unaffected by a mortal wound. Finally, this time, I've decided that her death was metaphorical. The act of stabbing the black swan in the dressing room was the act of "embracing" the black swan as a part of herself, no longer a seperate entity to be paranoid about. In addition, she could now fully appreciate the white swan (hence her crying in the final scene)- like Adam and Eve eating from the tree of knowledge of good an evil.

Other random things. The end when she says she felt it, she was perfect. uh...how do you figure? You fell from a lift onstage- that doesn't exactly seem too perfect now does it?! I still have no clue what is up with the hospital scene with Beth and the nail file. No idea what really happened nor what it might mean. I'm with rosa on that one- a tad too much ambiguity!

quote:

ps. I'm going to see 'The King's Speech' on Saturday, and I'm very excited.

quote:
I want to see this SO bad! Please tell us how it was?!

We didn't get to see it sadly, it was sold out. So we went home and watched 'Frida' instead. A brilliant film and my 8th movies of the year.