Sign in to follow this  
The Catcher in the Rye

Let's go to the Movies...

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:

i was watching moulin rouge but stopped half way through. got tired of the wooing and reworked love songs..

Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like it Frowner

I suggest at least getting to the end before making a final judgment though.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

Lost rocks! Can't wait for Season 6. John Locke is the coolest character ever!

Right there with ya!

quote:
Originally posted by LightBlueGrass:

Ready? Ok!

Michael Emerson! Big Grin

I just watched Avatar for the 2nd time this week. I usually don't even watch movies twice if they're on TV (which would be for free).

Avatar is the most amazing movie I've seen in the last 5 years. I love it!

<3

Avatar, at least in my perspective, is one of those movies that amazes, not because of the originality of the explicit story, or necessarily even the special effects. It's a movie that amazes because it effectively pulls you into its own universe, and you leave it feeling like it really truly exists, and those characters are real, with real emotions and real lives.

I compare it to a trilogy of books I just read, the series is called "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn". By all cursory views, and summaries, the story line is EXACTLY like The Lord of the Rings story line, EXACTLY. Even reading it I was like, "wow, so that's Frodo, that's Sauron, and that's 'the Ring', yeah?". But as a whole, this trilogy is LEAGUES BETTER than LotR. Why? Because of how it's executed. I felt like this universe the author had created was real, this fantasy world became a sort of reality because of how it was written. And though few have heard of it, I defend that it's far better than LotR could ever have been.

The same is true for Avatar, for me. Yeah, it's Pocahontas, or Dances With Wolves. But come on, every storyline has been recycled for the past hundred years. It's in the actual execution that matters. And when I left this movie, I felt like the creators did what they were meant to do: pull me into the movie's universe. Which is why I'm going to see it in 3D Imax next week [i saw it 2D first... I don't trust this 3D crap just yet]

/rant [sorry, I think it was a knee-jerk response to MusicLover's rant thread Razzer Much love, ML!]