Sign in to follow this  
k8e

Auckland show

as a result of having some time of my hands, i got to wondering...the auckland show was the 18th, and according to my trusty cell phone and it's world clock, it's like 2ish in the afternoon there now on July 19. so it's over? kinda weird

I'll step forward on behalf of the Kiwi's. What do you want me to say, it was fantastic! She played a simular set to those in Oz, opening with Ain't No Cover, then Us, Better, The Flowers, Ghost of Corporate Future (I really wanted to yell out "Ew" in the appropriate places but no one else did and so I was too shy)

She also played: Sailor Song, That Time, Bobbing for Apples, The Wallet, Us, Blue Lips, One More Time with Feeling (anyone know where one can get an mp3 of this?)Baby Jesus, Apres Moi, with an encore of Fidelity and Samson to close.

We managed to get seats in the third row which was awesome and when she stood to play the guitar she was right in front of me!

The crowd was enthusiastic but quiet and Regina commented on this. I think ppl really only knew songs from BTH as each one of these songs garnered applause in the first bars. Also ppl laughed at all the curious lyrics and rude parts which also suggested they were unfamiliar with them. Not that it's a bad thing, made it quite entertaining actually.

There was a girl of about 7 sitting in the front row and Regina was like "I'm so sorry" in between the lines of Bobbing for Apples, it was quite hilarious.

She also made some joke about having hurt herself fighting Koalas, and planning to take on the Kangaroo next. Then she said sth like, lucky there's nothing to kill in NZ (we dont have any big native animals) and someone said the Kiwi (our national bird) and then Reg said in an ominous voice "except the kiwi..." and everyone laughed "Now you know I'm evil".

Someone also called out "Purchase!" and regina was like what? like SUNY Purchase? Turns out that girl was also an alumna (sorry i dont know latin) and reg told us a little about it, her performing arts school? "Also known as Poor-Choice... haha no actually it's a great school".

I waited out the back entrance for two hours after the show so I could meet her, and I did and it made it all worth it. She was so sweet and friendly. I gave her some little gifts I'd brought for her and she signed my BTH and i got to hug her and talk for a few minutes. She is shorter than I thought.

One thing that I am sure is different at her US concerts is that I was the only one to wait around, I was quite surprised. I guess NZ has only just begun to realise the giant this woman is and next time it'll be swarming. It was kinda boring waiting by myself to say the least so I welcome that for the next NZ concert - She said she hoped to return downunder Smiler

Anyways hope that gives everyone some insight. Any questions you may have i'd be happy to answer.

Peace & love,

Steph

PS: She also played a song about the different coloured eyes... what is it called? The New Zealand Herald published a very nice review of the show today :Regina Spektor at the Bruce Mason Centre

quote:
She is shorter than I thought.

She's rockin' at a whopin' 5ft4... Same as me!

This makes me happy cuz I was starting to get a serious complex about my height a while back (all my friends are like 5ft7/8) but now I'm like... "Yeah! So what if I'm short, so is Regina Spektor"

quote:
Originally posted by bitsofbone:

quote:
She is shorter than I thought.

She's rockin' at a whopin' 5ft4... Same as me!

This makes me happy cuz I was starting to get a serious complex about my height a while back (all my friends are like 5ft7/8) but now I'm like... "Yeah! So what if I'm short, so is Regina Spektor"

haha. same here. i am like the only short person in a tall family. represent 5'4 Smiler

I guess the fact that she was leaning on her cane contributed to that impression. I don't think there's anything wrong with being short anway Smiler

More about the girl from Purchase: regina was like "what are you doing here?"

"i don't know"

"you don't know?"

"well, i mean i don't not know"

i can't remember what followed but she was a traveller.. I was glad to have been sitting so close for all the ppl calling out, im sure the ppl higher up would have been like what is going on!?