Sign in to follow this  
johny

Why are ppl so closed minded about music?

Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh! I am very angry and in desperate need of a good rant. Why are people so narrow minded when listening to music (and in fact in living their lives)? I try to introduce all of my friends to regina's music and none of them like it! They are all like 'im an indie rock guy' or 'emo is my kind of music'. I cant believe how ignorant they all are. If only they listened to regina, or read some of the posts on this forum, about 'opening your mind' and 'being yourself', they may discover a whole new range of valuble and enjoyable life experiences. They would discover/meet many amzingly talented and interesting people. But if thats the way they want lead their lives, closing off their minds to vast ammounts of lifes pleasures and experiences, then i let them do that, knowing i myself will make the most of what life has to offer. Now i am done ranting, and i feel much better. Thankyou for reading my rant, and its good to know there are other open minded people like myself out there (eg. the people on this forum)

Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh! I am very angry and in desperate need of a good rant. Why are people so narrow minded when listening to music (and in fact in living their lives)? I try to introduce all of my friends to regina's music and none of them like it! They are all like 'im an indie rock guy' or 'emo is my kind of music'. I cant believe how ignorant they all are. If only they listened to regina, or read some of the posts on this forum, about 'opening your mind' and 'being yourself', they may discover a whole new range of valuble and enjoyable life experiences. They would discover/meet many amzingly talented and interesting people. But if thats the way they want lead their lives, closing off their minds to vast ammounts of lifes pleasures and experiences, then i let them do that, knowing i myself will make the most of what life has to offer. Now i am done ranting, and i feel much better. Thankyou for reading my rant, and its good to know there are other open minded people like myself out there (eg. the people on this forum)

i understand the way you feel..

when i started listening to Regina, my friends were like "what the -- is that?" and then begin to say stpid things about her music "how weird is that?"

but then.. a couple of weeks later, one of my friends told me that she got obssesed with Fidelity and that she was going to buy her cd and then she became a totally Regina fan, she's got all her songs (like me) and even she get her boyfriend to like her too. Now I got two friends to share my feelings and songs and thoughts about Regina and it's amazing how we can spend the whole day talking only about Regina!

but yes, there are a lot of people so closed minded out there.. and you mentioned Emo music.. well, i really deslike people who call theirselves "emo guys" or anything like that.. like Regina said "people are just people" they shouldn't put theirselves in labels, you are who you are..

and you must feel proud because you discovered Regina and you understand the beauty in her and in her music, not everyone is as lucky as you (and everyone in this forum)

Smiler

I can relate to this too!! When I first got into Regina I never told any of my friends about her for a few months because I figured their attitudes would be similar to my sister's, because the only songs by Reg that she likes are the ones that everyone likes, Fidelity, Us, On the Radio, while hating Prisoners and Ghost of Corporate Future, etc., but after a while I eventually told one of my friends at school -- although the first song I ever let her hear was Daniel Cowman, which didn't make a good first impression because she's more of a pop kind of girl. But I kept sending her songs and while she didn't like all of them, she did appreciate Regina's syle and didn't trash her or anything. So by that time I thought I would try out my other friend at school, since she was a little more eclectic when it came to music, but to my surprise she was more close-minded about Regina even though she was always parroting all over the place, "You guys, I am SO unique. NO ONE is like me", and all this other crap. It made me mad that she was as shallow as anyone else. She ended up borrowing Begin to Hope from me and putting the entire thing (including the bonus disc) on her iPod, although I don't know why she bothered because she hated half the songs on BTH and probably didn't like the whole 2nd disc.

Sigh. Rant over.

I share everyone's love for reg. I'm sure you know that. I'd love to have someone close to me that gets it. But I don't. I have you guys/gals. That will have to be enough for me. And it really is. It's like a private club. Club Reg.

Reg isn't everyone's cup of tea. That goes for many things in life. There will always be folks that don't have the same taste. We're the only ones that know the real deal Wink

regina's had such a huge impact on me, so i try to expose her to my friends and family as much as i can. since she really dominates my music selections, whoever is with me in the car or wherever gets a full dose of regina's wide range. some have liked it, but none to the extent which it impacts me. yeah, not to mention a few have downright bashed her. it really upsets me when i hear that, because i really take it personally. i'm not being dramatic, but i cannot understand how someone who listens to regina and really gets a feel for her music and essence could honestly dislike her.

haha.. funny story...

once i was driving a girl home from choir practice, and i turned on my ipod to regina of course, and headed down the road. the first song that came on was "samson", and the girl was like "oh my gaaaahd, i love this song so much, i wish it was on the radio, i love this song omg i love regina spektor." and after "samson" was over, "lounge" came on. and the girl scrunched up her nose, and was like "who is this chick" and i said "well, its regina spektor, i thought you loved her." and she was fumbling for words and says "oh, i do, i do, ive just never heard this song before... why is she making that noise?" haha i laughed my ass off, she didnt talk about regina around me anymore for fear id make her listen to regina's "wierd side" again...she doesnt know what she's missing.

I'm not going to complain about other people's taste in music, because I'm pretty "closed minded" myself. If I hear something and it doesn't do something to kind of grab me right away, then I don't listen to it. Most songs I hear (on the radio or Pandora usually), have about 30 seconds to prove to me that I want to listen to it. There is a lot of crappy music out there in my opinion, and I won't give every new track by whatever flavor of the month my full attention. Thats just how I feel.

quote:
Originally posted by Most Nuts Ever:

Most songs I hear (on the radio or Pandora usually), have about 30 seconds to prove to me that I want to listen to it.

This makes me curious. What 30 seconds of reg pulled you in the first time?