Sign in to follow this  
johny

Why are ppl so closed minded about music?

SOAS, i'm still discovering a lot of her older stuff and it blows me away. To get a new album will be just awesome Smiler do you know when it's gonna be released? (this has probs already been discussed..haha)

well, she is still touring, and u probly know about all this hype for 'better'

well, thats BTH centered, so a new album is not in close prospect.

she might have been doing a little recording here and there, we dont know.-- except for the new better(s)

but she wont work throough the holidays, im guessing. so im aiming for early summer 08

Just wanted to revive this thread long enough to rant. Frowner

I had never actually met anyone who had heard of Regina without me telling her about them, so it was a little surprising for me when at school today I found someone who had heard Fidelity, probably through VH1 or MTV. During my English class, my teacher was talking about various singers who reference literature and the Bible in their music, so obviously I thought of Reg, and I asked the teacher if she had heard of her, and she said no, and all of a sudden I heard a burst of laughter behind me, so I whipped my head around, and this preppy dance team girl was laughing with her friends while imitating the glottal stop from Fidelity, and I was like, "Oh, you've heard that song?" and she said in this loud, obnoxious, sarcastic voice, "Yeah, it's my FAVORITE," and I didn't say anything but obviously it made me really mad. It's one thing when my own friends don't like her, but when some prep who I know nothing about except that her hair is over-gelled starts mouthing off about things she knows nothing about, then I tend to get a little annoyed. So she's not used to individuality!!! Her loss. Roll Eyes

I'm reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell (author of the tipping point) and there is a very interesting story about Herman Miller and his Aeron Chair ( http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,,a10-c440-p8,00.html). When it was first released to test markets in the 1990's, it recieved 8's (10 the best) for comfort but a dismal (i think it was either 2,3, of 4) for style/appealing-ness. People thought it looked "ugly". But as time went on years) ppl started liking the design and then it caught on and became huge...just like Herman Miller thought it would. The interesting point about this story is that people used the adjective "ugly" when describing it. in reality, the chair was "different" and ahead of its time but the ppl were to limited to see beyond what the current chairs all looked like. So they just fired off the first adjective that could describe their resistance to something new and progressive...and that was UGLY.

To tie this into Ms. Spektor, when i expose ppl to her music, they all freak the moment something unconventional happens, such as glottal stop from Fidelity, ppl flip out and write it off as stupid or "ugly" or some other negative adjective. But if i can get them to listen a little longer and show ppl that i'm not flipping out and enjoying the music...most come around. My one friend laughed and poked fun at Ms. Spektor's music when i played it in the car, but later (i was singing hotel song, with my hand clapping percussion) and she asked me if she could hear it.

2 Weeks ago, while at the beach with my little cousins (ages ranging from 5-11) i played Regina out loud for them all to hear. I just put it on and bada bing they liked it and were singing along. My brother (who originally did not like Regina Spektor but is slowly warming to her) came down to see the commotion and found that there were other ppl who liked her music besides me and mi madre. WHat was really cool about kids is that they are usually not too conditioned to what our culture deems good or bad in the music world. They did not get all flipping out and janx during fidelity's hearrts, or carbon monoxide walka-walka-walka. and they liked singing uh along to Uh-merica. So the entire point to this way to long post is that something that is new and outside of a comfort zone can trigger ppl to just write it off as weird and ugly, when in reality it is progressive, cool and good!!!

Oh and i recommend Blink to everyone. It is an excellent book about our secret sub-conscience and split second decisions.

I really like this topic, thanks for reviving it Rosa...

Closed minded music listeners don't really bug me anymore, they used to in college.

I remember once playing a Death Cab for Cutie song for a friend of mine and she turned around and said... "I don't like it, it's not angry enough for me.."

I was stunned, in that one second she had written off an entire artist because they were not screaming about all their problems but instead making music that acctually means something... I then decided never to try and share my tastes in music again... And now gernerally I don't really talk about music to anyone.

I still play the songs that I like for people to hear but I will not talk about it, or force them to listen..

The only time I express how music effects me is when I write.

And on Brumstix of course!

quote:
Originally posted by 4goals:

I'm reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell (author of the tipping point) and there is a very interesting story about Herman Miller and his Aeron Chair ( http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,,a10-c440-p8,00.html). When it was first released to test markets in the 1990's, it recieved 8's (10 the best) for comfort but a dismal (i think it was either 2,3, of 4) for style/appealing-ness. People thought it looked "ugly". But as time went on years) ppl started liking the design and then it caught on and became huge...just like Herman Miller thought it would. The interesting point about this story is that people used the adjective "ugly" when describing it. in reality, the chair was "different" and ahead of its time but the ppl were to limited to see beyond what the current chairs all looked like. So they just fired off the first adjective that could describe their resistance to something new and progressive...and that was UGLY.

To tie this into Ms. Spektor, when i expose ppl to her music, they all freak the moment something unconventional happens, such as glottal stop from Fidelity, ppl flip out and write it off as stupid or "ugly" or some other negative adjective. But if i can get them to listen a little longer and show ppl that i'm not flipping out and enjoying the music...most come around. My one friend laughed and poked fun at Ms. Spektor's music when i played it in the car, but later (i was singing hotel song, with my hand clapping percussion) and she asked me if she could hear it.

2 Weeks ago, while at the beach with my little cousins (ages ranging from 5-11) i played Regina out loud for them all to hear. I just put it on and bada bing they liked it and were singing along. My brother (who originally did not like Regina Spektor but is slowly warming to her) came down to see the commotion and found that there were other ppl who liked her music besides me and mi madre. WHat was really cool about kids is that they are usually not too conditioned to what our culture deems good or bad in the music world. They did not get all flipping out and janx during fidelity's hearrts, or carbon monoxide walka-walka-walka. and they liked singing uh along to Uh-merica. So the entire point to this way to long post is that something that is new and outside of a comfort zone can trigger ppl to just write it off as weird and ugly, when in reality it is progressive, cool and good!!!

Oh and i recommend Blink to everyone. It is an excellent book about our secret sub-conscience and split second decisions.

That makes a lot of sense!!! I just might look for that book...Smiler

Something with the whole dumb, closed minded people thing happened to me today...My english teacher...who I strongly dislike already...made us do an activity so she could get to know what kind of people we are. She asked us what item we'd want with us if we were on an island. So, I said my iPod since music is such a huge part of my life. She asked me who I listened to, so immediately I thought...REGINA!!! Well, I said this and in her condescending manner, my teacher said "...Oh, I think I heard her on the radio. Is that the girl that whines?" I was incredibly pissed. I mean come on, if you are going to ask me something like that at least have the respect not to insult the musician that has inspired me to make an effort to get more involved with music and literature. Mad