Sign in to follow this  
johny

Why are ppl so closed minded about music?

I know how you feel! My family won't let me put on regina spektor cd's in the car.

Regina is much too open-minded for them, I think. And I read in some arcticle that Regina Spektor has more rebelliousness in her little finger than all those indie bands in their entire bodies, or something of that matter.

I could not agree with them more!

Fortunately, some of my friends like her too. (y)

quote:
Regina is much too open-minded for them, I think. And I read in some arcticle that Regina Spektor has more rebelliousness in her little finger than all those indie bands in their entire bodies, or something of that matter.

I love this, and you know what I totally think it's right... Regina hasn't conformed to any real genre of music which now a days is total rebelion, but why should she be put in a little music box set to play the same songs all the time.

Most of the time it's not the artists that are narrow minded, but the listeners.

I remember seeing a TV show about The Velvet Undergroud, and how their fans reacted when they changed their sound... They were actually attaked by some fans.

I don't think it's narrow-minded simply to dislike Regina's music, or anyone else's.

It's narrow-minded to refuse to listen to a verse or two, or even the intro...

Everyone has different tastes. I think if you can't accept that someone doesn't like Regina's music, it could be that you are narrow-minded.

I love chocolate. I can't imagine how anyone could find something to dislike about it. But, no matter how impossible I think it ought to be, there are people out there who can't stand it... as long as they've tried it at least once, they're being as open-minded as they can.

quote:
Originally posted by rinabean:

I don't think it's narrow-minded simply to dislike Regina's music, or anyone else's.

It's narrow-minded to refuse to listen to a verse or two, or even the intro...

Everyone has different tastes. I think if you can't accept that someone doesn't like Regina's music, it could be that you are narrow-minded.

I love chocolate. I can't imagine how anyone could find something to dislike about it. But, no matter how impossible I think it ought to be, there are people out there who can't stand it... as long as they've tried it at least once, they're being as open-minded as they can.

i don't think anyone here is disagreeing with your point here, but there really are people who give Regina a listen, don't like it and are still being narrow-minded.

there are a lot of people out there who have been building their character based on what they think others will want them to be like rather than just being themselves. some people will listen to a relatively unique artist like Regina, decide it's not going to help their specifically chosen impression management on others and come to the conclusion that they will not like that artist based solely on that.

with most people, this isn't even a conscience decision. many people in their teens and on have been doing this so long that they no longer have the capacity to think without worrying about how others will perceive their tastes and behavior.

of course, this is not to say that no one actually does dislike Regina and they all are just mindless drones if they don't like her. i'm just saying that there is a very large contingent of people out there who really believe in their own heads that they dislike unconventional artists like Regina when the reality is that they are just unconsciously straining to build what they consider to be the most popular impression of themselves on others...and that is being narrow-minded as well.

there, there's my rant. Smiler

quote:
there are a lot of people out there who have been building their character based on what they think others will want them to be like rather than just being themselves. some people will listen to a relatively unique artist like Regina, decide it's not going to help their specifically chosen impression management on others and come to the conclusion that they will not like that artist based solely on that.

I apposolutly love what you said... But it makes me question myself... Am I just trying to fit into the unconventional group? Do I want people to view me as "the weird girl who listens to odd music"... Does listening to Regina help me build that identity?

Haha I must be in one of those questioning moods.

its a continuing cycle.. truly. you either conform, or conform to a non-conformist group. so... im just happiest being me, and doing whatever it takes to achieve ultimate "me-ish-ness" actually reminds me of a book (that i will recommend shortly) "spilling open" by Sabrina Ward Harrison, she is an artist who published her diary along with her art, and i love this book!!!!! it is very eye opening, and really touches on the fact that though she knows shes not conforming (listens to like- ani difranco and such, wears long skirts and cuts her hair short) she still has hang ups that people who conform to mainstream have, so you can never really hide from it. anyways.. im off to recommend this book now that we have a thread for it! thanks brenna!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Forgive me-ologist:

I know how you feel! My family won't let me put on regina spektor cd's in the car.

I could not agree with them more!

Fortunately, some of my friends like her too. (y)

Get your own car. Razzer

quote:
Originally posted by abbottANDcostello:

of course, this is not to say that no one actually does dislike Regina and they all are just mindless drones if they don't like her. i'm just saying that there is a very large contingent of people out there who really believe in their own heads that they dislike unconventional artists like Regina when the reality is that they are just unconsciously straining to build what they consider to be the most popular impression of themselves on others...and that is being narrow-minded as well.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think that kinda ties in with what I said about refusing to listen to it - I was originally talking about physically listening, but not about just not really giving it a chance, which I guess is another meaning of 'listen'. If you write it off just because you've never heard of Regina or you heard she's weird, then that's narrow-mindedness Smiler I hadn't really considered that situation.

It's also foolishness. I hope people who would make decisions about a fairly unimportant thing, such as what music to listen to, based on what others will think - or even more strangely, what they think other people will think - will just grow up. It's really sad to imagine people who feel the need to make something as ridiculous as their ipod tracklist 'cool', because they don't understand that, as long as you're not blasting it in people's ears, no-one else cares what you're listening to...

bitsofbone - do you like any 'normal' music? If not, listen to some (just turn on the radio... don't hunt out things you know you dislike :P) and really consider the music. Why don't you like it? Just because this is 'mainstream music', or because it genuinely doesn't appeal to you? If it's the latter, you can stop worrying Smiler