Sign in to follow this  
johny

Why are ppl so closed minded about music?

I intially started this topic as a rant about ppl wouldnt give regina's music a chance, because they closed off thier minds to whole genres of music. They limited themselves by saying (for example) I like the Strokes and indie rock, and therefore never listen to anything else. Therefore they are being closed minded. It is wrong to say anyone who doesn't like regina is being closed minded (not that anyone has said that). Besides it wouldnt be as fun if regina wasnt just our little secret Smiler, although that situation is rapidly changing.

PS. Oh cool 1200 ppl have veiwed a thread i started. WOO-HOO

Like a handful of things in life music is something that most people are very opinionated and defensive about (along with fashion, visual art and politics).

Most of them can be complete jerks. Unfortunately the music business is large enough to try to accommodate everyone's musical "needs" even if those "needs" are ones that lay close to what's the next "big thing"/fad.

Alas, I've been trying to figure this out, and I haven't come even close.

There's no way everyone can like everything and there's thousands of records coming out each year in (almost) every country in the world (and thats a 150+!). You're maybe a little bit insane if you try to get all of them... You woudn't have time to listen to it as well... Also, among all the thousands of records released in your country and abroad, there's probably but a few you'd actually like. This will be based on what YOU expect from a musician (which could be anything from meticulous control of their instrument to heartfelt political anger).

And, as with food, not everyone likes, say, oysters ("elite/underground") or for that matter: pancakes ("popular/mainstream").

Fortunately there's something of value to find for everyone, and if you can't get it in retial, we now have the magnificence of electricity and *thingy*cable called internet!

So, the chaps who say modern day music is all crap (too easy, too offensive, too mindlessly boring, not virtuoso enough, not like the old days etc.) should look harder (go into the vaults below the megacharts palace-internet and independent record stores) and the people who don't like "difficult" or "sharp edged" music usually don't even know what they are talking about or even that it actually exists and that there are people who like that kind of music.

Thank You for this thread. I'm African but since I'm in the United States if you don't ask me I'm automatically African American lol (don't get me wrong you have no way of knowing unless you ask)...anywhooo a lot of people at my school assume that all black people have some kind of universal chip inside of them and they all listen to the same music and talk in a certain way. I get bashed for listening to 'white people' music like Regina or really anything other than rap or hip hop or anything that isn't played on BET. Sometimes it's like fuck. Leave me alone!

quote:
Originally posted by Elaine:

Thank You for this thread. I'm African but since I'm in the United States if you don't ask me I'm automatically African American lol (don't get me wrong you have no way of knowing unless you ask)...anywhooo a lot of people at my school assume that all black people have some kind of universal chip inside of them and they all listen to the same music and talk in a certain way. I get bashed for listening to 'white people' music like Regina or really anything other than rap or hip hop or anything that isn't played on BET. Sometimes it's like fuck. Leave me alone!

I get what you mean!!! At my school all the Mexicans are all "ghetto" and listen to rap and hip-hop, and I'm the only Hispanic there (that I know of so far) who listens to Reg, and other "weird" music. Frowner

quote:
Originally posted by rosa_de_oro:

quote:
Originally posted by Elaine:

I get what you mean!!! At my school all the Mexicans are all "ghetto" and listen to rap and hip-hop, and I'm the only Hispanic there (that I know of so far) who listens to Reg, and other "weird" music. Frowner

hey rosa, if you don mind me asking, what is the difference between hispanic and latino/latina... ? is it a really big deal to mix them up?

i was watching 'totaly awesome" the other day when the guy keep acrediting his "oriental" karate master and the master keeps correcting him saying "im asian" it was so funny. i always wonder about that tho, like what is the difference? is it simply geographical?

Hispanic implies something of or related to Spain, which can be a really sensitive subject to someone who is in touch with their culture. Most of the Amerindian tribes were taken by force by the Spaniards. Raped and stripped of their culture. Aztecs, Mayas, Incas.

Latino generally refers to Latin American residents of the US or descendants of Latin American citizens in the US.