Sign in to follow this  
Stepped On A Syringe

Gender!

As a guy, I take a decent amount of shit from my friends for liking female singers. I think most people see female artists as being overly sensitive, and of course we all know "emotions are stupid and should be hated!"

Some sort of prize for whoever guesses where that quote is from first.

Actually, no prize. Just mad props.

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

werent you always. Wink

=P

You would know! Wink

Seriously though, I just don't get this. I have always loved my share of female singers. I've never caught flack for it. Weird.

quote:
Originally posted by Most Nuts Ever:

As a guy, I take a decent amount of shit from my friends for liking female singers. I think most people see female artists as being overly sensitive, and of course we all know "emotions are stupid and should be hated!"

this is what I meant. It's really, really messed up how men are pressured to be emotionless, unfeeling, etc. not that female singers are necessarily more sensitive than male singers anyway.

Good to see the boy/girl split on here doesn't appear to be too drastic! I always used to get pissed at the Anna Nalick board about people saying her music was for girls even while the biggest fans on there were guys.

Some people definetly get slack for that kind of thing, but not me. I sure as fuck can't claim to be free from peer-pressure, but the things I like are moderately outside of tradition... Regina Spektor, Dawson's Creek, Charlie Manson. So far I've found liking Regina Spektor has actually endeared some women to me. <3

Personally I think it IS taboo for a guy to like Regina.

I mean, not completely. It always depends on what circle you're in, I was in a group once at good will and I thought they'd be weirded out by me buying a dress, but all anyone said was "hey, can I see your dress?"

But I think anyone who has spent time with mainstream youn-adult male society will see the upheld biases. They'll call you gay, they'll tell you how you're supposed to act, make fun of you for being different. It pisses the shit out of me so I pretty much dropped out of the social scene and kept to cultivating my already large group of certifiably non-square friends.

I've always felt masculinity was a conundrum. You're supposed to listen to guys yelling and screaming in song, instead of women singing about their sexuality and moaning in song? Even from the most shallow standpoints, masculinity just makes no sense.

quote:
Originally posted by Might Make A dollar:

Personally I think it IS taboo for a guy to like Regina.

I mean, not completely. It always depends on what circle you're in, I was in a group once at good will and I thought they'd be weirded out by me buying a dress, but all anyone said was "hey, can I see your dress?"

But I think anyone who has spent time with mainstream youn-adult male society will see the upheld biases. They'll call you gay, they'll tell you how you're supposed to act, make fun of you for being different. It pisses the shit out of me so I pretty much dropped out of the social scene and kept to cultivating my already large group of certifiably non-square friends.

I've always felt masculinity was a conundrum. You're supposed to listen to guys yelling and screaming in song, instead of women singing about their sexuality and moaning in song? Even from the most shallow standpoints, masculinity just makes no sense.

did somebody clone my opinions and put them in another prsons brain. IM aguy and ive always been treated unfairly just because i acted different and liked music that wasnt that crap they call GOOD MUSIC that they play to pieces on the radio. personally i think all guys that have that stupid idea of whats MANLY should grow up forget that stupid preconceived idea of masculinity.... i didnt know i knew so many big words.... i think its SOO stupid how adolescent boys act.... thats why i hang out with girls and mentally mature boys like me....

quote:
Originally posted by Most Nuts Ever:

I KNOW I KNOW!!! its from Futurama where bender go a sex change and well you know the rest... YAY i get props!